Sim racing pedals

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Okay, so now it's my turn to have issues with my trusty old G25 pedals. The brake pedal is not working any more, no software notices any input I give them. Could this be an easily resolved issue, or is it finally time to replace them? (rebooting them doesn't work, can't recalibrate them since they aren't responding, etc)
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Pots are probably fucked. It's repairable and not expensive, but I had no regrets buying a new set of pedals after what must have been 10 years of constant use.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Sounds like the wire to the pot is broke rather than the pots themselves, usually the pots just get worse and worse over time as they are a variable resistor, but if the wire breaks then the whole lot will cease to register input, see if the wires in the plug has broke, or as Paul says, buy whatever the newest version is.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

Open them up, see what's going on. Give it a thorough clean and replace any faulty wiring, if you can. If it doesn't work, get a set of G25/27 pedals if you can find any. Chances are that they have seen a fair bit of use though, so you might have to go for something else.

Now, as for what... Well, Fanatec V3's are quite popular. The thing is, Fanatec has (for a good reason) gotten a lot of slack lately for their quality control. Thrustmaster pedals are, well, not good at all. And everything else costs a fortune and a half. So your best bet is basically get what I mentioned first: G25/27, and a Bodnar cable (unless you already have one), which is the best investment you will make in a while.

Might also be worth a shot to ask at, say, Swedish iRacing League Discord if they have anyone has something they'd be willing to part with at a reasonable cost.
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

If it's just the pedals it is worth taking them apart. It's an easy enough job if you can handle a screwdriver. Check for loose wires, give them a thorough cleaning and finish it off with some contact spray at the pots. If they still dont work there may be bigger issues upstream from the input.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Okay, so I just took my pedals apart for the first time ever. I've had this sinsce 2006 I believe. Nothing looked obviously broken, but holy hell that was disgusting! Dust, hair, even leaves and old maggots from almost 12 years of regular use! Gave them a thorough cleansing, will let you guys know whether it made the trick. Will not wait another dozen of years to clean them again, if I can get them working again. Cause shiiiet, that was nasty. As fuck.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***