Mafia III

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Mafia III

Post by John »

Yeah, so it's not simracing, but still...

Anyone else waiting for the release of Mafia III? It looks bloody awesome from the trailers, anyway.

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Yup, a big fan of the franchise here. The original was still the best as the sequel was butchered to get it out on time. I much prefer games like this where it's open world but you have a linear script. I feel that is essential to any single player story-driven game rather than what GTA does but that's just my opinion.

Wish they'd stayed with the pre-war Italian mafia theme of the prior games however but this iteration definitely looks interesting too. Its like when Call of Juarez broke away from the wild west and went into present day Mexican cartel scene or whatever it was and it flopped.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

SB83 wrote:Yup, a big fan of the franchise here. The original was still the best as the sequel was butchered to get it out on time. I much prefer games like this where it's open world but you have a linear script. I feel that is essential to any single player story-driven game rather than what GTA does but that's just my opinion.

Wish they'd stayed with the pre-war Italian mafia theme of the prior games however but this iteration definitely looks interesting too. Its like when Call of Juarez broke away from the wild west and went into present day Mexican cartel scene or whatever it was and it flopped.
I think they'll make it work. I like what GTA does (and Red Dead Redemption) where you can spend days goofing around doing fuck all until you bother to pick up the storyline again. :wink:

I like the characters too, Vito of course, but also Clay, Cassandra and Burke. Burke seems to be a straight rip off from Ray Stevensons adaptation of Danny Greene in Kill the Irishman.

The part I loved most with GTA (except Trevor) was driving around in my car exploring the different parts of the city. I can't wait to do the same here.

Edit: Oh, and the soundtrack! :twothumbs:

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Mafia I will always hold a special place in my heart. Way ahead of its time. Id like to play it today still.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

John wrote:
SB83 wrote:Yup, a big fan of the franchise here. The original was still the best as the sequel was butchered to get it out on time. I much prefer games like this where it's open world but you have a linear script. I feel that is essential to any single player story-driven game rather than what GTA does but that's just my opinion.

I think they'll make it work. I like what GTA does (and Red Dead Redemption) where you can spend days goofing around doing fuck all until you bother to pick up the storyline again. :wink:

I like the characters too, Vito of course, but also Clay, Cassandra and Burke. Burke seems to be a straight rip off from Ray Stevensons adaptation of Danny Greene in Kill the Irishman.

The part I loved most with GTA (except Trevor) was driving around in my car exploring the different parts of the city. I can't wait to do the same here.

Edit: Oh, and the soundtrack! :twothumbs:
Oh I enjoyed the driving around freedom of both Mafia games too but it's just that when it comes to the story/plot element, I prefer Mafia's way of doing it. Although mind I've not played GTA 4 or 5 just the ones prior to it. And from the trailers, it looks like Mafia 3 has diversified its gameplay a bit too.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Picked up MIII for a bargain, traded in a bunch of old games and got MIII and NBA 2k17 for approx 5 euros.

And I like Mafia 3 a lot. The story is incredibly well written and compelling. Anyone else tried their hand at it? Oh, not that deep into the game so far, so no spoilers without the proper tags, please. ;)

CEREAL IS A SOUP.