RIP Steve Jobs

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

RIP Steve Jobs

Post by PTRACER »

Lost his battle with cancer aged 56.

I sit here typing this on an iPad.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Same age and type of cancer that took my Mother-in-Law.

He did well to last as long as he did.

RIP.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Really sad, currently typing this on my iPhone.

Reading the stats yesterday from the latest Apple conference shows just how Apple has developed in the last 10 years or so - surely the most well marketed brand in the world right now?
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

rip
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

DoubleFault wrote:Reading the stats yesterday from the latest Apple conference shows just how Apple has developed in the last 10 years or so - surely the most well marketed brand in the world right now?
Quite possibly... Seeing how much attention Jobs' death has received in media, not just in tech media but in general media (it was the #1 story in our national broadcaster's TV news this morning) is a clear indication.

Certainly a controversial character but he certainly made an impact in the world.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

A sad loss for the world. A truly brilliant man.

It's not a surprise the iPhone 4 (S) was launched over here on Tuesday.
Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

Thanks for Toy Story Steve :bye:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

:agreepost:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

Jobs was good, but saying he changed the world is complete bullshit.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

That depends on how you look at his and Apple's contribution to technology development. Same with Bill Gates and Microsoft. If it wasn't for Apple introducing the iPod and iPad then the marketplace would unlikely have been flooded with various copycat and competing media devices so quickly. These types of devices would have been put into the marketplace at some point but Apple accelerated the deployment to market as well as providing a quality of product completely unrivalled by any other provider. Now that kind of reputation and delivery is revolutionary.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Jobs got lucky with the iPod, he was very good at seeing the potential in products, but not actually inventing them, AMP failed to see what they had and Jobs took the product and mass marketed it in a closed platform environment, it's true that he pushed along development in some fields, such as Sold State Devices, but as for revolutionising the world with his inventions - nope that's not right, every single big Apple product is a copy of another device.

Creative tried to introduce something similar a few years before the iPod came to the market, but the World just wasn't ready for it, mp3 was still being ratified, the encoding tools were not user friendly and the internet was still in the dark ages with the time to download a music file being measured in hours, not seconds, so it fell on it's arse because everyday Joe Bloggs couldn't encode at home, and the potential delivery platform of commercial tracks just wasn't viable.

Had Bill Gates not saved Apple, the iPod would never have existed, Jobs was a marketer, not an inventor, and had he not spotted the potential of the iPod, Apple would have likely gone bankrupt (again) years ago.

Not saying Bill Gates is anything different, after all he stole the base code for Windows from IBM.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I meant that he was revolutionary in the way he did things, not in the actual products themselves.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

It's ok, Jobs was a very good entrpreneur and may rest in peace. He has created items that have influenced lifestyles. It's just like the guy who invented nutella (and the famous ad: "what woulrd with be without nutella?") who was mourned when he died in a bike accident.
Anyways let's stop talking about Steve Jobs like a modern Jesus Christ. He was a businessman and was making money with a phone that costed him 30$ and was sold to me to 800$. You see this is the bad side of internet and moder social networking, all the people talk for ages of the same thing even if they don't care a fuck about
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

I loved comments like this on the day Steve Jobs died.

"What did Steve Jobs ever do for me"
Posted from my iPhone.

:haha:

Anyway, iOS 5 officially went live yesterday... and it fucked lot's of peoples phones.