iRacing

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

Bottom post of the previous page:

LMP1 is actually not confirmed yet, but makes sense considering the current prototype (HPD ARX) is quite old and an LMP2. The Audi will most likely be announced later in the year, possibly to be released before the inaugural Le Mans 24h team event on iR.

One thing I did notice from that video was that our (well, Glacier's) Audi GT3 got a nice bit of screen time at the 1:50 mark. Looks like the footage is from the Monza Blancpain Series race, and it's Elomaa behind the wheel. I don't race in the GT3 WCS, but it's always nice to see our team getting a bit of screentime.
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Puhis »

2017 S1 build is out. Not a lot of major changes, but certain updates and fixes were done under the hood.

But, I bumped this thread because Lotus 79 is awesome and y'all need to try it if you haven't done so already. A reminder now, since it's week 13 and thus a good time to come back before the seasons start.
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Holy shitsnacks.

iRacing, VR, sprintcars.

EPIC!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Puhis »

Live timing
Twitter discussion
Watch it on iRacing Live

Direct links to the broadcast will be below.

Hours 1-6:

Hours 6-12
Hours 12-18
Hours 18-24

Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Puhis »

Aaaaand the top split was cancelled after little over one hour, when it became clear it was pointless to race on.

Half of the field got disconnected due to memory leaks on Le Mans causing bad packets being sent. Another wave came 20 minutes later, at which point about 60-70% of teams were affected.

So, most of who were left (granted, drivers are able to re-join but have to take a tow to pits, losing well over a lap, maybe two depending on where they were on track) did the reasonable thing and stopped on the main straight. Just, stopped. Right there, on the broadcast. Effective red flag, and broadcast was stopped too.

Drivers stopped on main straight. 3rd row, on the right side (viewer's POV) is a blue/carbon Inertia SimRacing Ferrari F488 GTE,
at that point 5th in class. That was the end of our journey.

Some still race on, but all splits are affected by these issues. It was nothing short of a massive failure to deal with an error that's been widely reported on Le Mans for weeks, if not months now. It happened in ProtoGT, and it's been happening in hosted leagues as well. Instead, they released the new GTE Ford & Ferrari cars (which ARE awesome) last week, and promptly pushed on with the event as scheduled.

I spent all of my free time since Tuesday, when cars were released, in order to prepare. I know that many others did the same, including most of my teammates. People have spent up to a MONTH practicing for one, single event. To have it end like this calls for some serious internal (and open) debate regarding dealing with possible issues beforehand.

A DDoS attack is a bit harder to predict, but this? This had been reported before. It's inexcusable. And I'm pissed, because I had plenty of other, very interesting stuff scheduled for this weekend that I chose to cancel to partake in this event with a new team. And we were running strong, too. Top split, starting from the back and I think I made up close to 10 spots just on merit, and a lot more due to the disconnects. Plus it was a 58-team field, pretty evenly split between Proto and GT cars. It was going to be a brilliant festival of virtual racing, and instead turned into a brilliant festival for iRacing haters to belittle and laugh at those who are in the service, despite them not being at fault for their incompetency regarding handling of big events.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I see nothing has changed then.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Puhis »

So, Joni Bäckman, who was the captain of Club Finland (alongside Aleksi Elomaa) retired from his post after 5 years. His focus is now on his Superbike project, planning to compete in the Finnish championship next year.

Meanwhile, Club Finland, the defending World Cup of iRacing champions, were left without their de facto leader. It was Joni who rallied the troops to four championships in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016. And Aleksi, for all his achievements, isn't one who really bothers with that kind of stuff usually. He is a very experienced competitor and very knowledgeable on both oval and road racing. But isn't someone who sends PMs and makes sure we get a roster to compete.

So, someone was needed alongside Aleksi to fill at least some of the big shoes Joni left.

Joni Heikkinen, the current Finnish champion of sim racing, stepped up to create the thread for World Cup, and post essential info. And then someone else stepped up to rally the troops and get the hype going.

It wasn't easy. To say it was difficult trying to get a roster of 20 competitive guys is an understatement. It was stressful, it was frustrating and at times, it looked like everything that could possibly go wrong, did.

Not to mention, we were up against hungry club UK&Ireland, who were looking for their first World Cup. It was set to be the match for the ages, and nobody could predict the outcome. Myself, I thought we'd lose the oval in points and have our work cut out for us on the road side. The choice of track (Daytona Road) didn't exactly make it easier, since it rewards raw pace far less than your usual circuit, instead making it relatively easy to hang in the draft.

So, with our greatest advantage (raw road pace) gone, our fastest drivers either competing in the F1 eSports event at London or otherwise busy, and racing an unfamiliar car (Corvette C7 DP), with roster sizes upped and having to really dig deep to even fill 20 spots... things didn't look bright.

I couldn't be more proud of the guys. I was part of the squad that took the 2015 World Cup home, but to win it as the captain of Club Finland is something special. It may not mean much to most iRacers, and the World Cup definitely needs some overhauls, but... I'm proud. It has that special prestige, and it's a wonderful honor to be the captain of Club Finland. I could never even dream of that when I started iRacing. Perhaps to be part of the squad one day, at most. But never, ever in a million years to captain it to a victory.

Full race replay, in case someone's interested to watch it:

My own contributions driving-wise were sadly less than I wanted. Got taken out on lap 1 of the oval race, and the caution didn't even come out. Not that it would've mattered much, since my car was toast anyway. Wrong place, wrong time. Not much I could do there - a brit came up the track, hit one of our drivers and he then slammed into my car, which slapped the wall and cue smoke.

On road side, I qualified somewhere I figured I'd end up (17th out of 40 drivers), and quickly let two Finns behind me past. The situation was that UK&I needed to win the road side by over 100 points after our unexpected success at oval, and we had the upper hand with only 5 of their drivers in top 15. So, I slowed down after letting my teammates past, defending my position against a horde of their drivers in order to let the mostly-Finnish pack ahead of me get away. My goal was to create a gap of 2 seconds to break the tow. 1.5 would've been somewhat enough.

After 3 laps of clean defense, the gap was 6 seconds. Slowed down in the apexes, ran a defensive line. Took one Brit out with a rather dirty-looking move, but that was also him braking earlier than I expected, and my dive from outside to inside ending up on his LR QP. Oh well. Managed to fulfill my duty, and even with scoring 0 points (top 15 of each club out of 20 drivers score points), I feel like I did my part to ensure that we'd win the overall and take the trophy home.

Getting Joni's respect and have him thank me for taking up the duty and respect my effort is tremendous. Anyone who knows Mr. Bäckman, knows that he can often be a difficult person, brutally honest and not very diplomatic. And I've known him for 3 years. The interview with Wil Vincent after Joni announced to the world that he had retired from captaincy (which Racespot crew didn't know) and the passing of the baton officially was a tremendous moment for myself personally.

It may have been surprisingly "easy" of a win in terms of points and results, but I feel like this is probably up there as my greatest sim racing achievement to date. Yes, it's a team effort, but it does feel truly special.

Sorry for the lengthy post. This thread deserved a bump, and I think this is something worth sharing.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Lulz.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Puhis »

Le Mans 2018 this weekend. Let's see if it goes better than last year. Supposedly, a lot of the server problems have been addressed. But, we'll see.

Will be racing HPD this time. Teammates include 2017 Finnish sim racing champion J. Heikkinen and 2018 silver medalist R. Alatalo, latter of whom has considerable HPD experience to bring to the team. They're not in our team full time, but we got a HPD squad together and will be chasing a good result.

According to VRS, I've put 15.2 hours of driving time in since Monday evening. I feel like my pace is solid, although as per usual the top teams will be very tough to beat. But, we'll see.

Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Puhis »

Good news: Le Mans 24h went without a hitch, it seems. Servers stayed stable and the race was ran smoothly & fairly.

Also good news: Our GTE squad finished the race 7th in class, on the top (broadcast) split. 4 laps behind leader, yes, but a solid result from guys who went into the race with little expectations.

Bad news: Our HPD entry, which I was a part of, got hit by a figurative anvil before I could even get behind the wheel. From P2 in class, too.

What happened is that Riku's wheel failed. He told he just heard that "pling-plong" of USB device disconnecting, slammed the brakes, but nothing he could do. iRacing has this lovely feature where the wheel defaults to 90 degrees left if the device disconnects. As a result, we slapped the concrete wall at enough rate of knots to put us out of the race.

Broadcast timestamp

Well, better luck next event, I suppose. We're trying to qualify for SCO (Sports Car Open) and NEO Endurance Series this fall, hopefully we can make it to both. Should have good pace in our P2 (HPD) line-up, even if we're not likely to get the likes of Alatalo and Joni Heikkinen to join for those. They are not part of our full-time roster as they drive for other teams normally, but decided to join for the Le Mans effort alongside myself and two other main roster guys. Hence why I was practicing hard, too, and we were looking strong in the event. Maybe class win would've been a bit too much to dream of, but there was a fighting chance for that. Oh well. It's racing.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Ian-S wrote: 13 years ago BREAKING NEWS: PTRACER WINS THE iRACING INDY 500!
Watching Jimmy Broadbent do this race again...I kinda wish I was involved, but the one I won? My god. 1 hour 43 minutes to reach lap 66. Nearly four hours to complete the race, and it finished on a caution. I have not done an Indy race since.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 13 years ago BREAKING NEWS: PTRACER WINS THE iRACING INDY 500!
Watching Jimmy Broadbent do this race again...I kinda wish I was involved, but the one I won? My god. 1 hour 43 minutes to reach lap 66. Nearly four hours to complete the race, and it finished on a caution. I have not done an Indy race since.
Well he won it and cried his eyes out after for his dead grandad...Well, I know the feeling of winning Indy!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

The 1987 stock cars look really fun.

acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Does anyone remember an iRacing streamer called Jason Jacoby? He was famous for having an extremely expensive sim rig 3-4 years ago which was a full on late model chassis. Apparently he’s done some real bad stuff including multiple pedophilic incidents.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Paedos aside, I am 100% convinced iRacing is still not ready for me to subscribe. It has been almost a decade since I last paid them any money and the reason I stopped was because of the unrealistic tyre model. I remember the V8 Supercars feeling like wheelbarrows, they were absolutely HORRIBLE to drive.

And 10 years later it seems it is still broken. Nicki Thiim basically says iRacing's tyre model is "fucking shit". He also said Assetto Corsa is way closer to the real thing, because you can attack, whereas in iRacing you have to "drive like a little girl" to go fast. I also heard one of the Indycar drivers putting down iRacing when they did the virtual race at Barber Motorsports Park. It also says everything that all these eSports series are using rF2 as a base, not iRacing.