The Max Verstappen Thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

The Max Verstappen Thread

Post by Ruslan » 1 month ago

I don't see a Verstappen thread on this board (it is probably there, but I have not seen one in the last year).

Anyhow, a quote from him got my attention:

"How they reacted and handled everything shows that I'm on the right team. They will walk through fire for me."

I have been critical of Red Bull in the past for being overly supportive of a single driver on the team. They did that with Vettel vs Webber, it is the reason Ricciardo bailed on them and I think part of the reason why they have had such a struggle with their second driver. I do believe the Red Bull's unquestioning support of Vettel early in his career damaged him as a driver. Now I see Verstappen's "walk through fire" quote, and it does appear to be more of the same.

I do think it was a PR mistake to appeal the decision, so the question is, why did they do it? Was it a group-think scenario where Verstappen, Marko, Horner, and Verstappen Sr. all just felt it should be done? Have they reached the point where their lead driver is always in the right? That appears to be how they treated Vettel, and I think it damaged him in the long run.

Anyhow, just ruminations for now. If Red Bull has the faster car they have nothing to worry about.

Ruslan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ruslan wrote:
1 month ago
I do think it was a PR mistake to appeal the decision....
Just to amplify my comment: The news I spotted after I wrote this is "Red Bull Racing part ways with team member over racist texts":

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... cist-texts

Christian Horner is not having a good day.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 month ago

Ruslan wrote:
1 month ago
Ruslan wrote:
1 month ago
I do think it was a PR mistake to appeal the decision....
Just to amplify my comment: The news I spotted after I wrote this is "Red Bull Racing part ways with team member over racist texts":

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... cist-texts

Christian Horner is not having a good day.
Yes I read that although it suggests the person is/was not part of the race team but factory based. But not a good day.
Noticed on Sky that Horner was claiming much of what he said or was alleged to have said post Sillystone was misquoted or out of context. He seemed to me to be frantically back pedalling in his interview, suggesting it is not a Lewis / Merc thing and their attitude would have been the same whatever the team / driver was. He also claimed Lewis was 20kh faster than usual at Copse on the incident lap.

*Sebastian, Lance is faster than you... do you understand?*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Ruslan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There are times that Christian Horner appears to be one of the nicest guys in the paddock...and then....