Drivers With Covid

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago So current count:

Out of 20 drivers: 6 (Perez, Stroll, Hamilton, Norris, Le Clerc, Gasly) = 30%
Out of 10 team principals: 3 (Big Daddy Stroll, Toto Wolff, Vasseur) = 30%

Not exactly the most disciplined and responsible group of people.
You forgot Simon Roberts of Williams (Took over as Team Principal after the team was sold) who missed the Turkish GP with it.
So that takes it to 40% for TP's.
Plus there have been a large number of unnamed team personnel who have tested positive.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

This thread is a bit like the Schumacher one - every time you see something new posted, you feel it won't be good.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago You forgot Simon Roberts of Williams (Took over as Team Principal after the team was sold) who missed the Turkish GP with it.
So that takes it to 40% for TP's.
Yea, I kind of forget who was in charge of Team Doritos.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

F1 - we won't jump the Vaxx queue.

Drivers -
https://www.racefans.net/2021/03/12/sai ... n-bahrain/
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago F1 - we won't jump the Vaxx queue.

Drivers -
Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Bad look PR wise, but it would be nice to be protected.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

That Perez took one, is very understandable.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago F1 - we won't jump the Vaxx queue.

Drivers -
Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Bad look PR wise, but it would be nice to be protected.
F1 have covered themselves by saying F1 as a group wont take the vaccine offer, but there is nothing they can do to stop teams or individuals taking up the offer from Bahrain or indeed any other similar offer from elsewhere. Apparently Bahrain have a 15% hit level on the Bahrain population having received the vaccine already and they have plenty available. I can understand certain individuals wanting to take advantage of the Bahraini offer.... as Perez says for him to wait on a jab from Mexico is a bit uncertain so he took up their offer.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Not a current driver, but one time Minardi driver, 45year old Tarso Marques has been VERY seriously ill after a bad Covid infection. Apparently he lost 85% lung capacity in a very short time, has spent an awful time in hospital, and even now is still suffering from a heavily reduced lung capacity.

He is still in hospital but seems to be on the mend, and Doctors expect him to recover.
At one stage he was ill enough to have written his will.

In Tarso's. words:
“I thought it was all right – I was always very healthy, I had good nutrition, I did physical activity,” said Marques. “I thought that nothing would happen to me. What I really cared about was my parents.

“Two hours after this new diagnosis, I was already short of breath. Another hour and I couldn't breathe anymore. Now, speaking in this interview, I still only have 30% of my lung capacity.

“The first three, four days in the hospital were like terror. You are practically dead there. It destroys you. I got so much medicine – every three hours a tray with an injection, corticosteroids [anti-inflammatory steroids]. I spent nine days without sleep, I used oxygen at the limit.
“And it happened one thing after another – stomach pain, there is an allergy out of nowhere in my legs, I am still full of spots, I was sobbing for two whole days, I had a hellish headache. The virus is attacking every place.

"It looks like it doesn't give up. I thought I was going to die. I even made a will. I stayed like that for two more days. When I started to get better, at night I was afraid that improvement was a false alarm.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mina ... d/5805208/

Best wishes for Tarso to make a full and speedy recovery.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

More F1 Covid in Bahrain

Well it did not take long.... not involving any drivers, but with Aston Martin staff.

Two staff members of the Aston Martin Formula One team have tested positive for the coronavirus and are in quarantine ahead of the season opener in Bahrain.

The team said on Friday shortly before the start of first free practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix that additional safety measures have been implemented. Of course they were probably one of the hardest hit teams last year in their Racing Point guise, with both Perez and Stroll going down with it along with owner Lance Stroll and several team members

Not the best of starts to the season. I wonder how many F1 people / teams took advantage of the Bahrain offered vax. It would seem Aston Martin didnt.

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago More F1 Covid in Bahrain

Well it did not take long.... not involving any drivers, but with Aston Martin staff.

Two staff members of the Aston Martin Formula One team have tested positive for the coronavirus and are in quarantine ahead of the season opener in Bahrain.

The team said on Friday shortly before the start of first free practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix that additional safety measures have been implemented. Of course they were probably one of the hardest hit teams last year in their Racing Point guise, with both Perez and Stroll going down with it along with owner Lance Stroll and several team members

Not the best of starts to the season. I wonder how many F1 people / teams took advantage of the Bahrain offered vax. It would seem Aston Martin didnt.
Even if they did you have to allow at least a week or so till you start building some sort of immunity, and with the first jab, the AstraZeneca one only gives approx 60% doesn't it. SO they can test positive but not have major symptoms.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Having F1 again does seem to bring back a degree of 'normality'.

But obviously the situation as a whole remains very fragile, and isn't much better than when we last (as in December '20) came here.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yes I understand that, and yes I agree certainly they wont be fully vaccinated at this stage. I do recall that with the Bahrain offer those taking advantage were to have their first shot before testing started which would allow them to have had their second jab prior to leaving Bahrain after the rae.after the race.

I also know that with the AZ vax it can be 12 weeks between jab 1&2. (My first jab is booked for April 20th with my second booked in July. Aus is using the AZ vax except for few exceptions of which I am not one)

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Yes I understand that, and yes I agree certainly they wont be fully vaccinated at this stage. I do recall that with the Bahrain offer those taking advantage were to have their first shot before testing started which would allow them to have had their second jab prior to leaving Bahrain after the rae.after the race. I also know that with the AZ vax it can be 12 weeks between jab 1&2. (My first jab is booked for April 20th with my second booked in July. Aus is using the AZ vax except for few exceptions of which I am not one)
I think the idea is that the 'circus' (as in F1, F2 and all travelling along) does not want to jump the queue.
The circus will not stop individuals getting the jab in Bahrain (as did eg. Sainz and Perez), but certainly does not actively encourage it.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Yes I understand that, and yes I agree certainly they wont be fully vaccinated at this stage. I do recall that with the Bahrain offer those taking advantage were to have their first shot before testing started which would allow them to have had their second jab prior to leaving Bahrain after the rae.after the race. I also know that with the AZ vax it can be 12 weeks between jab 1&2. (My first jab is booked for April 20th with my second booked in July. Aus is using the AZ vax except for few exceptions of which I am not one)
I think the idea is that the 'circus' (as in F1, F2 and all travelling along) does not want to jump the queue.
The circus will not stop individuals getting the jab in Bahrain (as did eg. Sainz and Perez), but certainly does not actively encourage it.
That was the idea and I understand the UK teams with some individual exceptions have adhered but I also know some non-UK-based teams, including Ferrari and AlphaTauri, have taken advantage of the opportunity to be vaccinated. Not sure about Alfa Romeo / Sauber, the only other non UK based team. :wink:
Edit I think Haas are officially US based .... AFAIK in the same building as the Haas NASCAR setup.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Picci wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago More F1 Covid in Bahrain

Even if they did you have to allow at least a week or so till you start building some sort of immunity, and with the first jab, the AstraZeneca one only gives approx 60% doesn't it. SO they can test positive but not have major symptoms.
Nah, it's 67% efficacy max, I believe, and that too around 2-3 weeks after Dose 2 is administered. I'm not sure if the Bahrain was AZ or Pfizer or even the Chinese or Russian ones but I believe all available options are two-dose. Johnson&Johnson is apparently working on a single-dose solution.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Thing is that some vaccines were not exported to other countries, because of a ban to export them at all. The UK and the US did that massively. The EU exported them, because the belief of you never going to win, when the others do not have a vaccine at all.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."