Australian GP likely to be postponed...

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Yeah, I can't see it happening in March.

I'm sure the entire F1 paddock will have themselves vaccinated, but unless the event can earn some money (and there are the current risk factors of community transmission locally bubbling away) - I can't see it going ahead.
Plus I heard there is a lead time from when the vaccine is effective.... ie its a 2 month process from when you have the first jab. ie jab 1 then wait a month for jab 2 and another month for the vaccine to build up in the system to become fully effective. And with no vaccines available to locals (ie racegoers) in Australia until March..... plus 2 months. And that does not allow for wait lists to get the jabs process underway.

That and there are now suggestions that the new strain may not be blocked by existing vaccines. Whether that is internet know-all chat or medically proven info I dont know. Its difficult to define what is medical info and what is doom and gloom internet know-all supposition at the moment.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago

I'm sure the entire F1 paddock will have themselves vaccinated, but unless the event can earn some money (and there are the current risk factors of community transmission locally bubbling away) - I can't see it going ahead.
Plus I heard there is a lead time from when the vaccine is effective.... ie its a 2 month process from when you have the first jab. ie jab 1 then wait a month for jab 2 and another month for the vaccine to build up in the system to become fully effective. And with no vaccines available to locals (ie racegoers) in Australia until March..... plus 2 months. And that does not allow for wait lists to get the jabs process underway.

That and there are now suggestions that the new strain may not be blocked by existing vaccines. Whether that is internet know-all chat or medically proven info I dont know. Its difficult to define what is medical info and what is doom and gloom internet know-all supposition at the moment.
What I am hearing is that it is a six-week process as it is two weeks after the second shot. The indications now are that the new UK strain of the virus is covered by the vaccines.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago

What I am hearing is that it is a six-week process as it is two weeks after the second shot. The indications now are that the new UK strain of the virus is covered by the vaccines.
Well that is slightly better news viz a vis 2 weeks over 4 after the second shot.
The one they seem to be talking of here is a new South African strain.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

They're giving the first vaccinations here now and the second jab won't be for up to 12 weeks. The rationale is to get as many people as possible at least partially vaccinated I think.

They seem to think the UK variant mightbe covered but they're still looking at the South African strain. Oh and in other news, I can't have the Pfizer jab but it seems like I would be okay with the Oxford one, when my time comes, which probably won't be for a very long time as I'm way down the list of priorities apparently. They're talking about maybe mi March for the top priority most vulnerable people, there are then at least another two or three groups ahead of me.

So yeah, they won't have enough spectators to make these events work well this year for months and months I imagine. It will probably either have to be races behind closed doors like last year, or not at all for quite a while yet.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Top 4 groups in the UK should have received at least one Jab by the end of Feb.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

True @DoubleFart but then they have to have their second jab which will slow down the number of people getting their first one I assume.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Let's see what happens with the Australian Open (tennis). If that goes ahead without issues then we could have a Grand Prix on schedule (if they don't postpone it before AO).
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Well that is slightly better news viz a vis 2 weeks over 4 after the second shot.
Had missed the South African strain as it has not made it over here yet (the UK strain did). But yea, theoretically we are looking at a six-week process for vaccination. Not sure about spacing out the shots as @Star mentions. In the U.S. there is no such plan being discussed that I have heard of (although I was out drinking Margaritas last night vice staying on top of the news).
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I don't really see how F1 get themselves vaccinated. Already a furore about a health director handing vaccines to his mates, been sacked I think

It ain't available privately unless they manage a private deal with one of the companies, but that would be controversial too

That'll be the same across the EU too
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Well that is slightly better news viz a vis 2 weeks over 4 after the second shot.
By the way, turns out the wait time between 1st and 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine is only 21 days. It is 28 days with Moderna. So it is possible to be fully inoculated in five weeks.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

By the way, turns out the wait time between 1st and 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine is only 21 days. It is 28 days with Moderna. So it is possible to be fully inoculated in five weeks.
But where are they getting these vaccines?
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

White six wrote: 3 years ago
Don’t know. Born are being distributed in the U.S. Right now we are vaccinating about 500,000 people a day and hope to get it up to a million a day soon. Even at that rate it will take over six months to vaccinate the majority of Americans.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

White six wrote: 3 years ago
Don’t know. Born are being distributed in the U.S. Right now we are vaccinating about 500,000 people a day and hope to get it up to a million a day soon. Even at that rate it will take over six months to vaccinate the majority of Americans.
What's the distribution? Are people able to pay for it?

It would still involve the whole paddock decamping to somewhere the vaccine was available to buy, twice. It won't be happening in the UK until 30 million in 'at risk' tiers are done
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Mazepin probably knows a guy...
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The vaccines are going to help, but it's the young people who need to get it. They are the ones spreading it at the moment. The old people are just going to be protected from dying of it I presume. And we could be talking six months or more before "enough" people have been injected with Bill Gates' tracking chip, I mean COVID innoculation, for it to not be a consideration anymore.

Also with the UK now back into lockdown until February and Japan about to declare another state of emergency, I am struggling to see an end to this yet.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago The vaccines are going to help, but it's the young people who need to get it. They are the ones spreading it at the moment. The old people are just going to be protected from dying of it I presume. And we could be talking six months or more before "enough" people have been injected with Bill Gates' tracking chip, I mean COVID innoculation, for it to not be a consideration anymore.

Also with the UK now back into lockdown until February and Japan about to declare another state of emergency, I am struggling to see an end to this yet.
It's amazing that nobody has suggested vaccinating the people that still have to work in a workplace in the UK. Less than the 13m target of at high risk groups, probably less than 10m . Cut it out in workplaces and it's not spreading and won't bounce back quickly