Formula One - 2021 Season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The racing is to start tomorrow, with the first weekend of pre-season testing 8)

I'd assume all teams are fully setting up at this time.

In terms of pace going into winter testing, I'd like to think the consensus is that they will pretty much start where they left off:

Leading group
Mercedes and Red Bull

Higher midfield group
McLaren and Aston Martin

Midfield group
Alpine and Ferrari

Lower midfield group
Alpha Tauri and (possibly) Alfa Romeo

Backmarkers
Williams and Haas
Last edited by Antonov 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago The racing is to start tomorrow, with the first weekend of pre-season testing 8)

I'd assume all teams are fully setting up at this time.
I guess we get to see if Ferrari has recovered enough of their power (without cheating) to become the third best team on the grid. Also very interested in how Sainz compares to Le Clerc and how Perez compares to Verstappen.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago Leading group
Mercedes and Red Bull

Higher midfield group
McLaren and Aston Martin

Midfield group
Alpine and Ferrari

Lower midfield group
Alpha Tauri and (possibly) Alfa Romeo

Backmarkers
Williams and Haas
You were posting while I was, so I did not see this part. I think I would categorize it as:

Leading Group
Mercedes

Runner up
Red Bull

Other big budget team
Ferrari

Midfield Group
Mclaren, Aston Martin, Alpine (and not sure who will strongest among these three)

Also rans
Alpha, Williams, Alfa

The tail
Haas
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I'm expecting McLaren to ease ahead of Alpine, but maybe not consistently ahead of the privateer Mercedes. Ferrari may get close, but I expect nothing.

Williams to move on par with Haas and Alfa if the Ferrari isn't much of an improvement.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago I'm expecting McLaren to ease ahead of Alpine, but maybe not consistently ahead of the privateer Mercedes. Ferrari may get close, but I expect nothing.

Williams to move on par with Haas and Alfa if the Ferrari isn't much of an improvement.
I kind of wonder if people are not underrating Alpine compared to McLaren and Aston Martin. To start with, they do have their own engine. It does help. I also gather they have increased their budget. Right now, I consider all three potentially in position to be the fourth best team on the grid, especially when you look at their driver combos (Ricciardo/Norris, Alonso/Ocon, and Vettel/..ahem..).

I do think Williams will end up ahead of Alfa and what is now the very sad Haas team. I also would not be surprised if Mazepin is faster than Schumacher.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago surely you can't say green and red are the best combination...
Possibly my favourite ever Ferrari livery had green in it. Mind you a pretty car helped its overall beauty....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

hollie3sa wrote: 3 years ago WILLLLLIIIIIAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I don't see any "Dorilton Capital" stickers on this car.

https://www.doriltoncapital.com/home

Although I gather that Versa has a some relationship with Dorilton Capital:

https://www.doriltoncapital.com/media/1 ... re_v37.pdf
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Split topic for testing.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

In case anyone wants to watch it live... DO NOT LOAD THE LINK WITHOUT ADBLOCK ENABLED:

https://www.streameast.live/formula-1/f ... ing-day-1/
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago Fucking called it!
DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago F1 can source the vaccine itself - it's a free market. For sure, it doesn't look great for F1 if they get a bunch of vaccines whilst over 50's are still waiting for example, but when has F1 ever cared how it looks? COUGH, SAUDI, COUGH.
Lol. The above post(s) say they will be publicly rejecting it.
Yeah, I'm totally shocked at it, but I knew F1 would be offered it by one of the middle eastern countries.
Sorry to say, but after all of that, F1 drivers and teams are accepting it. The whole Alpha Tauri team is getting it done apparently.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago F1 can source the vaccine itself - it's a free market. For sure, it doesn't look great for F1 if they get a bunch of vaccines whilst over 50's are still waiting for example, but when has F1 ever cared how it looks? COUGH, SAUDI, COUGH.
Yeah, I'm totally shocked at it, but I knew F1 would be offered it by one of the middle eastern countries.
Sorry to say, but after all of that, F1 drivers and teams are accepting it. The whole Alpha Tauri team is getting it done apparently.
Basically as I mentioned a while ago F1 are covering their arses by saying they as a group would not condone or accept a blanket offer to vaccinate the travelling circus.... but then said they do not have the authority to stop individual members or teams from taking advantage of the offer. Which is exactly what has happened. Certain teams and individuals have acted in their own interests and tto their own moral beliefs / standards.

"I'm allright Jack" springs to mind. Stuff the locals, we (those) that have taken advantage of a Bahraini offer made to all participants in full knowledge of their own Bahraini local vaccination programme and the effect if any it has on local vaccinations (if any).

What we dont know is how many doses the Bahraini Govt have at their disposal, and will the F1 teams and people that have acted independently of F1/FIA taken vaccines that would otherwise have been used for the locals. Basically are Bahrainis queuing up for vaccines that are in short supply, or is this just use of surplus vaccines that wont affect the local programme?

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Basically as I mentioned a while ago F1 are covering their arses by saying they as a group would not condone or accept a blanket offer to vaccinate the travelling circus.... but then said they do not have the authority to stop individual members or teams from taking advantage of the offer. Which is exactly what has happened. Certain teams and individuals have acted in their own interests and tto their own moral beliefs / standards.

"I'm allright Jack" springs to mind. Stuff the locals, we (those) that have taken advantage of a Bahraini offer made to all participants in full knowledge of their own Bahraini local vaccination programme and the effect if any it has on local vaccinations (if any).

What we dont know is how many doses the Bahraini Govt have at their disposal, and will the F1 teams and people that have acted independently of F1/FIA taken vaccines that would otherwise have been used for the locals. Basically are Bahrainis queuing up for vaccines that are in short supply, or is this just use of surplus vaccines that wont affect the local programme?
I'm just guessing, but I doubt the vast numbers of immigrant workers will be eligible for this programme ;)
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hulkenberg joins Aston Martin F1 as reserve driver

Aston Martin has appointed 2020 Formula 1 ‘super-sub’ Nico Hulkenberg as its reserve and development driver for the rest of the 2021 season. So, he drove for the team when it was Force India, stood in for both drivers last year as Racing Point, and is now the official reserve of the new identity of the team, Aston Martin.

Maybe Sebastian Vettel will give it all away and do a Jody Scheckter...... become an "organic farmer" in the near future. :suspicious:
(Jody Scheckter has owned a 'biodynamic farm' in the UK for close to 15 years now.)

Vettel kept a low profile through lockdown, and has now revealed that he completed an internship in organic farming to learn more about agriculture.

Vettel has previously spoken about his interest in nature and farming, and was unveiled as an ambassador for the BioBienenApfel initiative this week that looks to protect habitats for insects.
"Since I had more time than I had actually planned, I thought about what I could do and what interested me," Aston Martin driver Vettel explained, revealing that he moved to learn more practical farming skills.

"That's what interests me. At some point you realise that not every vegetable is the same, not every apple has the same nutrients, and then you ask why.

"Then you realise very quickly where the apple comes from and how it is grown - and that's how the doors opened for me.

"The theory interests me and I read about it a lot. But to learn more from the practical side and talk to the people who deal with it on a day-to-day basis, that was very interesting."

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

GP247:
Alfa Romeo technical director Jan Monchaux has confirmed that the team will bring updates to Imola, but are now turning their attention to the 2022 sporting regulations.
Quite early giving up, don't they? This of course begs a question, what's the point of participating, if year after year teams stop racing, some sooner than others, and revert their presence on the grid into development of the next season car, during ongoing (presumably) racing season? Flashing colours around circuit is enough..?
If they would run development as parallel activities to full support of current season, I would understand it, but this doesn't sounds to be a case here. The team is obviously giving up on racing in 2021, and I think this is only begging, as almost all will follow, and we may end up with actually two or three teams remaining in the game. Funny way to run the sport.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Aty wrote: 3 years ago GP247:
Alfa Romeo technical director Jan Monchaux has confirmed that the team will bring updates to Imola, but are now turning their attention to the 2022 sporting regulations.
Quite early giving up, don't they? This of course begs a question, what's the point of participating, if year after year teams stop racing, some sooner than others, and revert their presence on the grid into development of the next season car, during ongoing (presumably) racing season? Flashing colours around circuit is enough..?
If they would run development as parallel activities to full support of current season, I would understand it, but this doesn't sounds to be a case here. The team is obviously giving up on racing in 2021, and I think this is only begging, as almost all will follow, and we may end up with actually two or three teams remaining in the game. Funny way to run the sport.
Are you new to the sport? :tongue: Seems to happen every year.
But in all seriousness, it seems to be more lip service. I think it really means the majority of the money will be spent on a new car made to the 2022 regulations while only small developments will be made on the current car. Maybe 80/20 split...
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago
Aty wrote: 3 years ago GP247:
Are you new to the sport? :tongue: Seems to happen every year.
But in all seriousness, it seems to be more lip service. I think it really means the majority of the money will be spent on a new car made to the 2022 regulations while only small developments will be made on the current car. Maybe 80/20 split...
And in particular the new regulations, and the seeming increase in the practice of freezing certain areas of development, it is key for all teams to ensure they start off the new era with a car that is thoroughly thought out. A bit like the car version of the hybrid era engines.... Mercedes clearly put a lot of time development, resources,and time into ensuring they got the at the time new engine absolutely spot on. It didnt happen by throwing something together at the last moment and crossing their fingers.

I believe this sort of development process is now going to show itself in the new chassis. Of course the other aspect is with future budget caps, which will at best reduce development. Getting this process into the system this year and minimising expense on what is going to be obsolete by the end of the year makes sense. Invest the money and resources in the future