Time for three cars.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Like I said in the Ferrari to Indycar thread... I also wouldn't be adverse to a spec tub in F1. It would save the teams crazy expense each year with crash tests.

Everything else that would bolt onto it though (aero, electronics, mechanicals) would still be open to change.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago Well we've already got it to an extent with Tracing Point, and we used to have it when RBR and Toro Rosso both bought from Red Bull Technologies.

It was the reason Prodrive were looking to enter, and the only reason it died was Williams. They're gone now.
We used to have it a damn sight sooner than that..... back in the seventies you could buy a Brabham, and stick whatever engine in it, and then of course there was March where you could go on a shopping spree and buy a March Chassis, DFV engine and Hewland gearbox, a st of rims and tyres and go enter Grand Prix. On top of that the likes of Lotus and McLaren sold their outdated cars and many other teams adapted cars (ie Hesketh initially)Teams like Lec.. Look at how Williams started back when it was simply Frank Williams Racing
Happy Days.
Heck, back into the sixties eeef-fen.... Coopers were biggies for privateers prior to March.
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Back in the 60s you could even buy top flight material Lotus 25s, 30s and 49s come to mind. Wasn't the first Lotus win a privateer entry too?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Michkov wrote: 3 years ago Back in the 60s you could even buy top flight material Lotus 25s, 30s and 49s come to mind. Wasn't the first Lotus win a privateer entry too?
Yes Rob Walker entered a Lotus 18 for Stirling Moss at Monaco 1960. In fact Moss also won in a Rob Walker Lotus at Riverside in 1960, before winning at Monaco and Nurburgring in 1961, all before Innes Ireland won the first GP for the works Lotus team at the 1961 USGP at Watkins Glen. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always