The Human Rights Swing Race 4 - Abu Dhabi

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

The Human Rights Swing Race 4 - Abu Dhabi

Post by John »

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Staying at home the obvious option for Hammy, but then he could be faced with the prospect of Russell once again demonstrating that he's not quite as exceptional as was trumpeted

Probably the most stress he's faced all season :haha:

Needs to decide quite quickly
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I hope Merc tell Lewis to have the race off so they can make it up to Russell, and that they'll make it up by signing Russell for 2021 if he doesn't.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago I hope Merc tell Lewis to have the race off so they can make it up to Russell, and that they'll make it up by signing Russell for 2021 if he doesn't.
Those contract talks certainly took a swerve in Mercedes's favour

Another option is a year out for Hammy, to return for the Bottas seat in 22

The more he talks about his motivation the more I think he can't be arsed....

However, things could be very different in 22, so he will likely think of 21 as his most comfortable chance for 8
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

If Hamilton does 2021, he'll likely finish the year with 100+ Wins, 100+ Pole positions, 8 World Championships and god knows how many Grand Chelems.

To put that into perspective, Verstappen and LeClerc would need to win 10 races a season a season until they nearly in their mid thirties to match where Lewis would stand, and there is zero credible evidence that Ferrari or Red Bull are set to provide a car as dominant as Mercedes have for the past 7 years.

In short, Lewis has raised the benchmark to such an extent that it simply wouldn't be possible to hit these numbers unless you have a 20 year career (Schumacher) or a massive car advantage (Hamilton).
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago If Hamilton does 2021, he'll likely finish the year with 100+ Wins, 100+ Pole positions, 8 World Championships and god knows how many Grand Chelems.

To put that into perspective, Verstappen and LeClerc would need to win 10 races a season a season until they nearly in their mid thirties to match where Lewis would stand, and there is zero credible evidence that Ferrari or Red Bull are set to provide a car as dominant as Mercedes have for the past 7 years.

In short, Lewis has raised the benchmark to such an extent that it simply wouldn't be possible to hit these numbers unless you have a 20 year career (Schumacher) or a massive car advantage (Hamilton).
Dont you remember when we all said the Schumacher records were not going to be beaten for decades.
Whilst I agree it most unlikely that the Hamilton records will be a tough hurdle to eclipse, I keep telling myself 'never say never'.... particularly if Liberty get away with the 24/25 race calendar they have threatened.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Leclerc gets a 3 spot grid penalty for Abu Dhabi

CLAP has been handed a three-place grid penalty for the season finale in Abu Dhabi for causing the opening lap collision in the Sakhir race.

An FIA statement:
"The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 16 (Charles Leclerc), team representatives and have reviewed multiple angles of video evidence.

"Car 16 braked too late into Turn 4, locking the front right wheel and colliding with Car 11 which was taking the normal racing line into the corner."
To be fair Leclerc put up his hand for the blame and said it was in no way Checo's fault. Max just said that Leclerc is overly aggressive and reckless, and why do people drive like that on the first lap. :haha: Pot Kettle Black, Max.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago If Hamilton does 2021, he'll likely finish the year with 100+ Wins, 100+ Pole positions, 8 World Championships and god knows how many Grand Chelems.

With the budget cap coming in next year, and I gather being a feature for the indefinite future...then I don't think we will see any team dominate the way were have seen Ferrrari, Red Bull and Mercedes. In each case, they were outspending their competition.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

CLAP deserved the penalty, he's done that three times this season now. He made a similar move in Austria which put himself and Vettel out, he did it in Bahrain, ironically to Perez, and now again this last race. And they said Vettel was the Ferrari driver who kept making mistakes. Seems to me it's a Ferrari issue after all. ;) :haha:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

apparently Hamilton may be back in time for this weekend's race :cool:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago apparently Hamilton may be back in time for this weekend's race :cool:
On the other hand travel from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi is very strictly controlled with all F1 personnel having to travel to Abu Dhabi on Monday, be tested and then transfer directly into what is referred to as a biosphere surrounding the track, where all drivers, personnel, officials and workers must remain 24/7 until after the GP. The biosphere is an area that will be the subject of far stricter Covid controls than have been in place at any other venue to date.

It is the fact that all personnel must travel on Monday or have to apply for a government exemption if they miss the Monday compulsory travel deadline. In effect it means Hamilton will have to have tested negative prior to travelling. Nothing has been mentioned yet as to whether he was tested, its result, and his current travel status. He is still technically in his legally mandated 10 day isolation period, so cannot meet the Monday travel deadline.

It seems like, with Lewis having been suffering symptoms and feeling unwell over the weekend, it is far from certin he will be a) free to travel, and b) be able to meet the mandatory Abu Dhabi 'biosphere' admission restrictions.

The full set up and system in place.......
Formula 1 has entered an unprecedented 'biosphere' lockdown in Abu Dhabi for the strictest COVID-19 rules it has encountered this season, which could pose a challenge to Lewis Hamilton's return.

After Mercedes confirmed Lewis Hamilton tested positive for coronavirus last Tuesday, the F1 world champion has been in quarantine for the past week for his recovery, as George Russell stepped in as his temporary replacement at the Sakhir GP.

Hamilton remains under a strict quarantine in Bahrain, which he is currently seven days into, but the biggest challenge is set to be Abu Dhabi which has applied tight restrictions, where all regular arrivals in the country face a 14-day quarantine.

An exception has been made for F1, and the entire paddock is obliged to travel on Monday under controlled conditions, before entering a closed 'biosphere' around the track and the neighbouring hotels.

The regulations will make it very problematic for the currently-quarantined Hamilton to be able to compete in Abu Dhabi, even if he tests negative in the coming days.

It's understood that if he does test negative this week but misses the travel window he will only be able to enter Abu Dhabi later in the week if the government makes a special exemption for him.

F1's biosphere in Abu Dhabi

On Monday, the entire F1 circus - apart from a handful of drivers and team VIPs travelling on private jets - flew from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi on 10 charter planes, amid tight restrictions.

The Abu Dhabi government's COVID measures are so strict that access by road is currently blocked from its UAE neighbour Dubai, and special exceptions have been made to allow the grand prix to go ahead, following months of discussions between F1 and the authorities.

The area around the circuit and the adjacent hotels has been closed off, with entry for F1 personnel only allowed on Monday.

After that nobody will be permitted to go in or out of what is being termed a 'biosphere' until after the test on Tuesday. The only exceptions are vehicles and personnel with specially arranged government passes.

The preparation process began in Bahrain, where all F1 entrants had to take a locally mandated COVID test at the airport on arrival. They then had to isolate in their hotels until they received a negative result.

Subsequent to their arrival all F1 personnel have been tested every few days with the Bahrain government and FIA testing systems working together.

Arrivals in Abu Dhabi have had to spend at least a week in Bahrain under the COVID testing regime, so anyone who skipped the Bahrain GP - such as Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto - had to travel out for the second race in order to guarantee their presence at the season finale.

The only alternative option is a mandatory 48-hour quarantine for anyone travelling directly from Europe to Abu Dhabi.

Despite being in possession of a Bahrain negative test certificate all arrivals in Abu Dhabi must undergo another test on arrival at the airport.

They are then transferred to the hotels around the track, entering the 'biosphere' that they cannot leave until after the race.

Six hotels will house the entire F1 paddock, and a seventh has been reserved purely for the staff of the other hotels as well as local circuit and event personnel.

The local hotel and circuit personnel have had to quarantine at the hotel for 14 days prior to F1's arrival and will say at the hotel for the duration of the event so they do not have to commute from their homes.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15404 ... ton-return

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Leclerc gets a 3 spot grid penalty for Abu Dhabi

CLAP has been handed a three-place grid penalty for the season finale in Abu Dhabi for causing the opening lap collision in the Sakhir race.

An FIA statement:
"The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 16 (Charles Leclerc), team representatives and have reviewed multiple angles of video evidence.

"Car 16 braked too late into Turn 4, locking the front right wheel and colliding with Car 11 which was taking the normal racing line into the corner."
To be fair Leclerc put up his hand for the blame and said it was in no way Checo's fault. Max just said that Leclerc is overly aggressive and reckless, and why do people drive like that on the first lap. :haha: Pot Kettle Black, Max.
Tbh, Max is like a sleepy pussycat on lap one at the moment. Probably not aggressive enough
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Lewis Hamilton aims to be back in the car this weekend, after seeing what George Russell did in his absense, so would I be if I were him.

Time isn't on his side though, according to Andrew Benson's piece on the BBC F1 site, he doesn't think he even has a clear test for covid yet. The clock is ticking down.....
Lewis Hamilton says he is trying to get in shape to return for the final Grand Prix of the season this weekend after contracting coronavirus.

The Mercedes driver missed last weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive on 1 December.

He requires a negative test before he can leave isolation in Bahrain.

"It has been one of the hardest weeks I've had for some time," the world champion said in a video posted on social media.

"I've just been focusing on recovering and trying to get back in shape."

Hamilton said he woke up on Tuesday "feeling great and got my first work-out in [since his positive test].

"I wanted to let you know I'm OK. I hope I can get back in the car soon."

Hamilton did not say whether he had tested negative, which suggests that he has not at this stage.

If Hamilton does not recover in time, Briton George Russell will again stand in for him at Yas Marina, after losing out on a debut win for Mercedes on Sunday following a pit-stop mix-up and a puncture.

The latest Mercedes can put Hamilton in the car to enable him to race in Abu Dhabi is on Saturday.

If he tests negative in time, Hamilton still needs the approval of the United Arab Emirates authorities to travel to Abu Dhabi, as F1 personnel were allowed to travel between the two countries only on specific flights on Monday as part of a bubble system set up to limit the risks of spreading Covid-19.

Conversations are ongoing between Hamilton's management and the authorities on this matter.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Hamilton looked pretty ropey in that video.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Not good news for his contract negotiations. He hasn’t even acknowledged the race or his teammates performances at all on social media.

It does come across as a bit petty.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.