The Human Rights Swing Race 4 - Abu Dhabi

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Look, I understand there is a GP in the UAE, and I understand it is at Abu Dhabi.

Equally I understand that some of the infrastructure cannot be changed, but certainly within the confines of what exists, they must be able to reshape some corners?
Last edited by Antonov 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Congrats to Verstappen on a perfectly boring, not hard-earned win.

Driver of the race: Ricciardo

Highlights of the race: Ocon passing Stroll for 9th...knocking Stroll down to 11th in the driver standings.

Bad race: Stroll, and it was really bad at a time that it counted. Multiple errors, no consistency, he had a good car but definitely did not get the most out of it. Shame Perez dropped out. He was the only interesting drive going on. In the end, Tracing Point would have been 3rd in the championship if they had two strong drivers. This will haunt them next year also.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Ruslan wrote: 3 years ago Congrats to Verstappen on a perfectly boring, not hard-earned win.

Driver of the race: Ricciardo

Highlights of the race: Ocon passing Stroll for 9th...knocking Stroll down to 11th in the driver standings.

Bad race: Stroll, and it was really bad at a time that it counted. Multiple errors, no consistency, he had a good car but definitely did not get the most out of it. Shame Perez dropped out. He was the only interesting drive going on. In the end, Tracing Point would have been 3rd in the championship if they had two strong drivers. This will haunt them next year also.
I totally agree.

Since there was not much going on the interesting bit was looking at the different driving styles. I'd say that Verstappen is the cleanest. It was also intersting to look at how differently the Ferrari drivers commit to a corner (and why Vettel likes a compliant car with a good turn in and a stable rear end). I think that Vettel, who has a driving style not too unlikely to Verstappen, would do very well at RBR, the Racing Points look a bit more neutral in terms of setting so I wonder if he'll perform as well as he could do given the right circumstances. Talking of the Racing Points, Stroll... I'm sure that he can drive, maybe not sensationally well but he has some sort of talent, the problem is that he cannot use it. To me it looks as if he can't set up his car (I still remember what he did while at Williams... utterly terrifying), he can't fight with other drivers, he doesn't think strategically, he can't read the race, he can't defend, he can't look after his tyres, basically he doesn't strike me as the smartest guy on track.

Talking of drivers I think that both Gasly as well as Kvyat deserve a better chance, IMHO they are both very good drivers from a purely technical point of view
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago Look, I understand there is a GP in the UAE, and I understand it is at Abu Dhabi.

Equally I understand that some of the infrastructure cannot be changed, but certainly within the confines of what exists, they must be able to reshape some corners?
The big problem is the last few corners, maybe the last eight turns or so. And unfortunately as they go around a marina and a hotel, they're hard to fix.

Turns 1 to 13 aren't too bad. The back end just needs streamlining. Imaging if they dug a tunnel from turn 13 to the pit straight, made it fast with a nice sweeping corner through it. Sounds gimmicky enough for the UAE and it would improve the hell outta the layout imo.

Doubtful. A man can dream, though. A man can dream.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I'm missing the logic of Merc turning the power down today?
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
jimclark wrote: 3 years ago What was with the garbaaage pre-race Norris/Sainz space filler???
Eh?
During the 1 1/2 hour pre-race show, there was a bit of about 10 mins. where Sky had Sainz and Norris strolling through the paddock together,
attempting to be entertaining. They were not very..... :down:
Antonov wrote: 3 years agoLook, I understand there is a GP in the UAE, and I understand it is at Abu Dhabi.
Most of the circuits these days are a bore. No character......cookie cutter, billiard table flat and smooth.
And what's with the silly "track limits" determined by a line painted on the pavement? (of course I can appreciate not short-cutting the inside of corners)
This is supposed to be auto racing for cripes sake; specifically, road racing, not hopscotch....

Back when racing was real, if you weren't at least kicking up dirt and grass off the tarmac on corners' exits, you were not attempting or turning a hot lap.
Exceeding "track limits" was defined by the inability to complete the lap because you were off and out, period........ Image

:wink:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 3 years ago I totally agree.

Since there was not much going on the interesting bit was looking at the different driving styles. I'd say that Verstappen is the cleanest. It was also intersting to look at how differently the Ferrari drivers commit to a corner (and why Vettel likes a compliant car with a good turn in and a stable rear end). I think that Vettel, who has a driving style not too unlikely to Verstappen, would do very well at RBR, the Racing Points look a bit more neutral in terms of setting so I wonder if he'll perform as well as he could do given the right circumstances. Talking of the Racing Points, Stroll... I'm sure that he can drive, maybe not sensationally well but he has some sort of talent, the problem is that he cannot use it. To me it looks as if he can't set up his car (I still remember what he did while at Williams... utterly terrifying), he can't fight with other drivers, he doesn't think strategically, he can't read the race, he can't defend, he can't look after his tyres, basically he doesn't strike me as the smartest guy on track.

Talking of drivers I think that both Gasly as well as Kvyat deserve a better chance, IMHO they are both very good drivers from a purely technical point of view
Thanks for the post. It does seem that Vettel's limitation is that he has to have the car "just so"...otherwise...

Actually, in slight defense of Stroll, I did see him do one nice pass where he faked the driver (Sainz?) on the inside and then shifted to the outside to pass him. One other hand, I saw multiple corners where he struggling to carve a proper line late in the race. Maybe it was because he was struggling with tires or trying to push, which may have been slowing him down. I think the statement "..he has some sort of talent" kind of summarizes it, he is not without some capability, but.....

Agree entirely on both Gasly and Kvyat. There are times when Kvyat has shown some very good speed but there is no consistency. Some of that I blame on Red Bull for jerking him around so horribly. Never got settled and confident. Gasly just looks good in all aspects. I think he needs to leave the Red Bull system and go some place where he is comfortable. Maybe Renault for 2022?

On another note, I think (imaging?) that I am seeing an improvement in Ocon's driving in the last couple of races. He has been underperforming all season relative to what he was doing in 2019. I have been mystified why.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

White six wrote: 3 years ago I'm missing the logic of Merc turning the power down today?
Good point. I don't know either, but Mercedes has been overly conservative this season.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Well, I had a big day at Sandown in 30C heat and was feeling a bit rooted by the time the GP started after midnight here..... I remember the warm up and the start but I had nodded off before Perez broke down. I vaguely remember the Safety Car and think I might have witnessed the restart but nothing after that. Seems I did not miss much.

I watched a replay this morning on fast forward. It seemed dismally boring with little passing other than DRS. I did watch a bit of a dice between Kimi and Leclerc for a position not in the points on normal speed but that was it.... good to see Kimi fighting hard and fighting back despite CLAP being on fresh tyres and Kimi keeping him behind until the end.

What a sad way to end a season.... the only high spot was it was not a Merc walkover, but Hamilton was clearly still suffering the aftermath of his Covid, which made me angry that George should have been in the car in his place. Other than that felt sorry for Perez going out like that, especially haven taken the new engine bits as a precaution. Stroll showed what a weak link he is in the team by his failure to contribute more than a single point to the RP WCC tally, and McLaren came through to take 3rd away from them. Bottas did enough to keep the WDC runner up accolade.

I really struggle to see why beyond Sheik Ya-wallets $$$ we are still there every year and especially as a season finale. The place sucks, and the always promised improvements to the layout never happen. As Tom Walkinshaw once said about Zolder, the only thing that will fix it is an awful lot of money and a fleet of bulldozers.

Summary.... the worst race of the year. Without doubt.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Just to summarise how the championship tables ended up, in the drivers title,

DRIVERS (WDC)

Obviously the win was never in doubt for Hamilton, but Max kept the underperforming Bottas honest, and despite winning the final race Max just fell short of being runner up.

Perez took 4th despite his DNF in Abu Dhabi, finishing just ahead of Danny Ric. Further down, from 6-10th was all very close with a bit of movement of the last day.

When was the last time the leading Ferrari driver finished 8th?

1. Lewis HAMILTON 347
2. Valtteri BOTTAS 223
3. Max VERSTAPPEN 214
4. Sergio PEREZ 125
5. Daniel RICCIARDO 119
6= Carlos SAINZ 105
6= Alexander ALBON 105
8. Charles LECLERC 98
9. Lando NORRIS 97
10= Pierre GASLY 75
10= Lance STROLL 75

CONSTRUCTORS (WCC)

In the constructors obviously Merc were far ahead of Red Bull, just 50 shy of doubling their score, but the competition was for best of the rest.

I dont know how RP failed to keep 3rd place. Ironically in the end their 15 point penalty for the brake duct copying thing cost them the position, but reality is (ie the real reason RP failed) despite RP having the better car than McLaren, the Orange team were saved by having two contributing drivers, something the Pink Mercs lacked a bit. Will the name change to Aston Martin make any difference next year? I doubt it given the scrutiny on their copying type upgrade system and the scrutiny that will be under. I guess a lot is going to depend on how Vettel fits in and whether Stroll can up his contribution.

Ferrari ended up with their worst tally for years, finishing 7th, 50 points shy of Renault in 6th. Alpha Tauri continued to close in but not enough in the end to jump the reds

1. Mercedes 573
2. Red Bull Honda 319
3. McLaren Renault 202
4. Racing Point BWT Mercedes 195
5. Renault 181
6. Ferrari 131
7. AlphaTauri Honda 107

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago I don't think I have watched more than 3 laps of this. WHY do they keep coming to this shit circuit year after year?
Don't be so negative.

Here, have some money.
Now can we have two races each season now on our glorious circuit?

No?

Here, have some more money.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

This last race has been a hall of shame of the worst that 2020 f1 season has offered.

- no real racing with only few drs passes
- crappy tracks in parking lots/desert
- bogus tyres that last forever
- tyre management modes races

If they can’t change the tracks please change the tyres, make tyres with less grip.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Twitter exchange between the team social media accounts:

Mercedes: W11 going into a well deserved retirement
Red Bull: Hey racing point, your new car is ready for collection.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago Twitter exchange between the team social media accounts:

Mercedes: W11 going into a well deserved retirement
Red Bull: Hey racing point, your new car is ready for collection.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I assume everyone is just happy to have packed up,and got home in the meantime.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Well what a damp squib to end the season on. I did feel bad for Perez, he was making great stride cutting through the pack until his car went boom. I did feel for him and his frustration was obvious.

What was wrong with Ferrari? Why didn't they pit like everyone else during the virtual/full safety car?

Max did well to win, doesn't mean much though does it? The title was already over, Mercedes had turned down their engines (I wondered why too) and it is the dullest track on the calendar I reckon. We didn't even see much of the pretty lights on the hotel to relieve the boredom some.

I'm not sorry the season is over. I will hope for better in 2021, though I know it's likely to more of the same thanks to the new regulations having been put back a year :(
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!