Rate the Hungarian GP: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16722

Round 2: The Steiermark GP - IS FERRARIS F1 CAREER OVER? *insert exploding Rosberg meme*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Circuitmaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Round 2: The Steiermark GP - Q3 RESULTS

Post by Circuitmaster » 3 weeks ago

Latest post of the previous page:

I'm so glad that we got a wet quali. My household was very pessimistic about their chances when they saw the conditions but credit to the officials and especially the drivers. Considering the conditions, that was an excellent display.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015

SB83
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Nordschelife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Suzuki Ritz (Splash), Ford Ecosport

Post by SB83 » 3 weeks ago

Ruslan wrote:
3 weeks ago
Well, that was the first qualifying session in a long time that I really enjoyed. F1 and rain makes a fine cocktail.

1. Hamilton - He is good.
2. Verstappen - He did some impressive driving. That last lap was amazing, even if he lost it on the last corner.
3. Sainz - Oh yea, I guess he is pretty good.
4. Bottas - 1.4 seconds slower than his teammate.
5. Ocon - He is back! I missed him.
6. Norris - Really did seem to be the inspired star of McLaren through all the practices and all the qualifying, until suddenly Sainz beat him at the end.
7. Albon - Only 0.5 seconds behind his teammate. I am still not convinced his ride is secure for 2021, although his team has to say that.
8. Gasly - Looked really good for most of the season. This is an oddly inconsistent driver.
9. Ricciardo - Expected to see an Ocon/Ricciardo fight for dominance all season. Looks like I will get my wish.
10. Vettel - Qualified one better than in the last race. 10 seems to be his new magic number.

12. Russell - actually watched this guy in the virtual GP season. In addition to being charming and very likeable, he is the real deal. Drove some nice fast controlled laps.

19. Giovinazzi - well... not that surprised.

Anyhow, if it is dry tomorrow, I expect the race to be pretty predictable. The only question is where does the two Ferrari's end up, as they seem to be struggling right now.
Sums up my thoughts pretty accurately, especially the Norris part. I'm thinking damn this kid has gone from good to awesome this year....then Sainz goes to P3.

I'll be surprised if there's a battle for the lead. Doubt Merc will let their kerb issue crop up again and Lewis will zoom into the distance. Unless Max gets a good enough start to where he can divebomb Hamilton into T1 without taking him out (although wouldn't mind that either!!).

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 3 weeks ago

3 Place Grid Penalty for Leclerc

Charles Leclerc has received a three-place grid penalty for the Styrian Grand Prix for impeding AlphaTauri racer Daniil Kvyat in qualifying, and will therefore start 14th, behind Williams driver George Russell, Racing Point's Lance Stroll and Kvyat.
"The driver of car 16 had been adequately informed by the team after Turn 7 that car 26 would be approaching and that he should watch out for traffic.

"Following this, he accelerated on the approach to Turn 9, but eventually slowed down again after spotting another car in front of him in Turn 9 in order to prevent having his following lap affected.

"Furthermore, the driver of car 16 stated that it would have been impossible for him to see anything in his rear view mirrors due to the bad weather conditions.

"Video evidence and telemetry data clearly showed that the driver of car 26 was impeded by car 16 in Turns 9 and 10.

"Although the weather conditions might have affected the visibility in the rear view mirrors and the driver had no intention of impeding another car, the stewards determine that the driver of car 16 must have been aware of car 26 approaching, could have reacted differently and therefore impose the penalty."

Leclerc was also investigated, along with Kimi Raikonnen for not pitting when the red flag was shown at the end of Q1, but both were excused due to the proximity to pit lane entry when the flag was shown.

On this matter, the stewards said: "The red flag came at the moment the driver of car 16 was approaching the entry of Turn 9 and the driver was fully committed to the turn.

"The driver braked hard, did not accelerate after Turn 9 and considered entering the pitlane by crossing the white line at pit entry, but felt it would have been unsafe do so.

"The driver reacted appropriately, continued on track and drove the lap afterwards at safe speeds.

"Taking this into account, stewards determine to take no further action."

Giovinazzi's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen was also subject to a red flag investigation, and was excused on similar grounds.

The stewards noted that the Finn "made an attempt to safely enter the pitlane, but was unable to reasonably do so".

Racing Point driver Sergio Perez escaped sanction for an alleged yellow flag infringement, with the stewards deciding that he had done as much as he could to slow down.

They noted: "The driver of car 11 had already reached the braking zone before Turn 3 and was fully committed to the corner at the moment a single yellow flag was shown shortly before the apex of Turn 3.

"In addition to that, a green light panel was flashing right after the apex.

"Taking into account these facts, the stewards determine that the driver of car 11 had no chance to do anything more to slow down more than he did and therefore take no further action."
As I mentioned previously Lando was also given a 3 place penalty for a yellow flag infringement in practice.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Ruslan
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan » 3 weeks ago

SB83 wrote:
3 weeks ago
I'll be surprised if there's a battle for the lead. Doubt Merc will let their kerb issue crop up again and Lewis will zoom into the distance. Unless Max gets a good enough start to where he can divebomb Hamilton into T1 without taking him out (although wouldn't mind that either!!).
Yea, gone are the days when Lewis used to muff his starts. Made for more interesting racing.

Suspect the first three positions are sewed up, but hard to say if Bottas or Verstappen will take 2nd. The interesting race will be for 4th. I am assuming the Ferrari's are going to do better in the race than they did in qualifying.

Ruslan
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan » 3 weeks ago

Star wrote:
3 weeks ago
As was said before, if I was Sainz right now I'd be looking at where McLaren are and where Ferrari are and kicking myself.

Lando Norris tweeted that he's not feeling that well this weekend, so maybe his qualifying result reflected that, plus he has the penalty of course so that didn't help either.

Looks like being a good race tomorrow.
He apparently has some internal pains from the G forces. He was on pain killers today and being wet, it wasn't so bad. Not sure how he is going to deal with a full race tomorrow.

jimclark
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark » 3 weeks ago

PTRACER wrote:
3 weeks ago
Unbelievable. Hamilton on pole by 1.2 SECONDS.
Unbelievable indeed.

Looking at their fastest times (Q1), Hammy (1:18.188) only had a tenth on Verstap (1:18.297). ;)

Hopefully, it'll be good tomorrow. We shall see soon enough. :)
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo » 3 weeks ago

Unless Ham fluffs his start... Game over.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

jimclark
Silver Member
Silver Member

'About 9 hours, we'll know, won't we....? :)

jimclark

John
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09

Post by John » 3 weeks ago

Ruslan wrote:
3 weeks ago
Star wrote:
3 weeks ago
As was said before, if I was Sainz right now I'd be looking at where McLaren are and where Ferrari are and kicking myself.

Lando Norris tweeted that he's not feeling that well this weekend, so maybe his qualifying result reflected that, plus he has the penalty of course so that didn't help either.

Looks like being a good race tomorrow.
He apparently has some internal pains from the G forces. He was on pain killers today and being wet, it wasn't so bad. Not sure how he is going to deal with a full race tomorrow.
In that case he's really going to be sore after Mugello. :wink:
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
- Cato the elder

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 3 weeks ago

MonteCristo wrote:
3 weeks ago
Unless Ham fluffs his start... Game over.
Well, I'm holding out hope. Hamilton found the perfect wet line and didn't make any mistakes. Verstappen was on target for a much closer time until he lost control.

Plus there is the issue of setup. How many teams compromised their qualifying by running a dry setup, knowing it will be dry for race day?
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Saw this posted elsewhere which I found amusing and fair comment....

"RBR protest Hamilton for not slowing down enough to suit the conditions" :haha: :haha:

Max felt Vettel pitting in front of him as he went for his final flyer cost him time. He did say he does not think it made the difference between the times. (I would agree.... I think the real reason was more the two opposite lock moments and the half spin at the final corner that cost him the time. :wink:
Good save at the end though, getting it back facing the right way...... :smiley:

Bottas meanwhile had a problem with glazed brakes caused by a bad warmup in turn caused by all the traffic.... leading to a lack of confidence and 'pedal feel'.

Looks like no chance of rain today, so a decent race probably revolves around Max taking out Lewis at T1 and then we might get a show. Hoping for George Russell to finish in the points, and of course CLAP to beat Vettel.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

jimclark
Silver Member
Silver Member

I thought they were required to run the same setup in race as in qualifying? Has that changed?

jimclark

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 3 weeks ago

jimclark wrote:
3 weeks ago
I thought they were required to run the same setup in race as in qualifying? Has that changed?
It hasn't changed, that's my point.

Perhaps some teams went with a full wet setup to guarantee qualifying position, but they will have to suffer the consequences in a dry race of having too high ride height and too soft suspension. Hamilton certainly would not be 1.2s ahead on a fully dry setup going by yesterday's conditions. It also probably explains Force India's issues in qualifying.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

jimclark wrote:
3 weeks ago
I think that was @PTRACER's point.... how many compromised their wet setup knowing the race was going to be dry and changes are limited to what they can do in adjustment terms on the grid. ie no stiffer springs and dampers, just a tweak on a roll bar. I think thats the rule unless they have say a failed damper or replacing a broken damaged part then that is the only changes allowed under Parc Ferme rules.

jimclark
Silver Member
Silver Member

'Gotcha....ooopppsss.....I understand. (proper English)

I just plain misread "How many teams compromised their qualifying by running a dry setup,".

My error. :)

jimclark

jimclark
Silver Member
Silver Member

Also, I think, as I posted, Lewis' and Max's fastest times exhibit more closeness than Q3 indicates. ;)

edit: And, I posted the wrong time for Max...he was fastest wasn't he...? :smacking forehead:
Last edited by jimclark 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

jimclark