Sebastian Vettel retiring after 2022 season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Star wrote: 3 years ago Clearly Seb had his reasons for not going back to RBR, I hope Aston Martin is a good fit for him. That is about the only thing that excites me about F1 2021 at the moment.
He'll be worried that max will be quicker than him. Everyone would be.

That's not a big issue, it's happened to most world champions in the end

I think it'll be a good move for him. I'm hoping for something like Piquet's move to Benetton, a nice Indian summer. Teammate with the capability of qualifying quicker on occasion but lacking in racecraft
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

White six wrote: 3 years ago
Star wrote: 3 years ago Clearly Seb had his reasons for not going back to RBR, I hope Aston Martin is a good fit for him. That is about the only thing that excites me about F1 2021 at the moment.

2014 :cool:.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago

2014 :cool:.
Oh I know 2014 was bad for him at RBR and that is why heleft for Ferrari, he was the old Seb again once he got there. I'm hoping 2021 will be like 2015 was for him, a new start and Seb loving the new challenge :cool:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I think it'll be a good move for him. I'm hoping for something like Piquet's move to Benetton, a nice Indian summer. Teammate with the capability of qualifying quicker on occasion but lacking in racecraft
Seb isn't even old. Hamilton is older and still winning championships.

If Seb gets beaten by Stroll next year, then it will be time for him to bow out.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Surely he cant get beaten by Stroll unless through some strange quirk. I dont think Seb is mentally the driver he was, but Stroll aint no Leclerc by a long long way.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... on_Martin/
Old friends re-united?
Is Otmar put under pressure to perform or else..? I would be actually surprised if that is true. My perception is, that Szafnauer is performing very well with resources to his disposal.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Yea, this is interesting. To start with Mattiaci is not exactly a proven or established name in F1. It is not like he was able to win any championships in his days at the helm. I gather Stroll knows him from way back.

On the other hand, it does look like Stroll really does have some ambitious agenda. Suspect he would keep Szafnauer and use Mattiaci for his ambitious expansion plans. This is the first time in a while that a new team has arrived with a serious agenda that indicates they are planning to do much more than just make up the numbers.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

That's because Stroll Snr. knows the only way to help Jnr win a title is to build a car that's at least 0.3 tenths quicker than whatever Hamilton or Verstappen is driving.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

Mattiaci can undoubtedly explain better than most pit politics to anyone willing to listen, but to lead a car development up to MB's level? Forgive me, but I doubt that. AM needs to lure Seidl from McLaren, and then we might be talking. (Dream on).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Stroll already has a different / higher spec Aston Martin F1 car

Well that did not take long..... and Seb admits he is aware Stroll gets the updated parts prior to him and has a higher spec car this weekend. He even says Lance is the better driver at the moment so it is only right.

Of course it may be the reason why Vettel seemed a bit more on the ball in qualy. Perhaps the updates were not that flash. :dunno:
As Sebastian Vettel's struggles continue, he has revealed that Aston Martin teammate Lance Stroll is benefitting from a "different specification" this weekend at Portimao.

After trailing Stroll's pace in Friday practice, quadruple world champion Vettel was asked if it is frustrating to be behind Stroll - whose father Lawrence owns the team.

"Not really," he told Sky Deutschland. "He has a slightly different specification this weekend, which was clear in advance.

"I hope that he can make a step forward with it," Vettel added.

Former F1 driver Ralf Schumacher says it is not a new situation for the Silverstone based team.

"We already had that last year - Sergio Perez was upset because Lance had a completely different car," he said.

"But it's a small team, they don't have the capacity, they want to save money first and see if it works. That sounds stupid to us, but Lance is also the fastest driver at the moment," Schumacher added.

"At the moment he is the better driver with the better results and then the worse one has to take a back seat."

F1 legend Gerhard Berger, who remains a Vettel confidante, told Kolner Express newspaper: "After last season I told him (Vettel) to stop.

"If I was in his position, I would be happy to have been world champion four times and drive a classic rally sometimes or enjoy the other beautiful things that life has to offer," he said.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/stroll-h ... artin.html

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Stupid prick. I like Seb, but he should never say that Stroll is a better driver at the moment. Getting more out of the car, sure, but Stroll is not and never will be a better driver.

Also, LOL at Seb still beating him in Qualifying, and leading him for most of the race.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Totally thrashed stroll today mind ;). Terrible day for the team though. Merc being on top doesn't do much for their rake claims either
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years agoHe even says Lance is the better driver at the moment so it is only right.
Did he though? I think it was Ralf Schumacher who said that, not Vettel himself.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mawerick wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years agoHe even says Lance is the better driver at the moment so it is only right.
Did he though? I think it was Ralf Schumacher who said that, not Vettel himself.
On re-reading it I agree. :wink:

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I think all drivers who switched teams are struggling somewhat this year. Carlos made mistakes, Perez made mistakes, Danny Ric is nowhere near where he can be and Alonso woke up only in the second half of the race. Let's give Seb some more time. It's been a while since he's driven a new car.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Is this the official Vettel tread? Have a recent discussion about his change of form: https://www.grandprix.com/news/vettel-c ... artin.html

I particular liked this quote: "Vettel is a F1 driver who needs both "a family environment" within his team...."

Doesn't get more family-like then Lawrence and Lance Stroll.