ATTENTION GPL FANS! We are voting for our favourite Grand Prix cars of the 1960s!
Let us know your favourite here: LINK

Who will be 2020 F1 World Champion

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Who will be the 2020 Formula 1 World Champion?

Lewis Hamilton
71%
Someone Else
29%

Total votes: 14

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Who will be 2020 F1 World Champion

Post by PTRACER » 3 months ago

Normally I list multiple options, but given the outcome of the past few seasons...

2019: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 17&t=15909
2018: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 17&t=15381
2017: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 17&t=14743

From 2019:
Only one other driver besides Hamilton and Vettel have won the championship this whole decade, so maybe listing other options is a little crazy...Well, I'll list some other names just in case!
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

Arthur-vL
Favourite Motorsport: Everything except for drag racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus
Favourite Driver: Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: The Nurburgring Norschleiffe!

Post by Arthur-vL » 3 months ago

I have chosen Hamilton and this is cause the Mercedes will be even better than the other cars throughout the year. And the car is key nowadays!

Circuitmaster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Circuitmaster » 3 months ago

Yep, Hammy for the win. I expect he'll dominate the timing sheets, win the majority of the opening races, have a mysterious dip in form and luck throughout the middle of the season, just enough to make it interesting, and then return to form and cream the competition once the European rounds are done.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015

jimclark
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark » 3 months ago

Arthur-vL wrote:
3 months ago
the car is key nowadays!
Nowadays ?
'Been key (and key word, that...) in auto racing since it's inception. Only of recent that racing's become a crap shoot with whatever means of "equalizing the playing field". Thank goodness not so in F1.....so far........
Last edited by jimclark 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo » 3 months ago

Wait, there's a second option?
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 3 months ago

Sadly I think the only option is Lewis/Merc. They sandbagged their way through testing and still ended up streets ahead. Fingers crossed their rear brake ducts which are creating controversy, are a quantum leap in performance and the reason for their pace,, get banned and reduce them back in the field to dice with Williams and Haas. :fingers: However reality tells me different.... :sorrow:

I would love to say CLAP, but know Ferrari will find a way to shoot themselves in the foot, and RBR will depend on how much development and hp gains Honda have made with the engines.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

XcraigX
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX » 3 months ago

It will be Hamilton again, but it will be closer this year as RedBull should give them some trouble.
(And I LOLed at myself for picking Vettel last year. I was drinking the sandbag juice.)
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 3 months ago

jimclark wrote:
3 months ago
Arthur-vL wrote:
3 months ago
the car is key nowadays!
Nowadays ?
'Been key (and key word, that...) in auto racing since it's inception. Only of recent that racing's become a crap shoot with whatever means of "equalizing the playing field". Thank goodness not so in F1.....so far........
Other than 88 and 92, there were always 2 or 3 teams competing on a fairly even playing field, with a 4th picking up the spoils. The top teams would also rotate every 1-3 years.

6 years of domination by just one team is simply unprecedented.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

jimclark
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark » 3 months ago

Absolutely. But so be it. F1 is (and should be) the ultimate stage for those that achieve.

There are other series for the ""dramatic, entertaining show" (fer instance spec like IndyCar, S5000, re: open wheel; and all the BoPed series for sports cars) for those that don't appreciate excellence and the effort required. ;)
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

MONTOYA RULES

Post by MONTOYA RULES » 3 weeks ago

PTRACER wrote:
3 months ago
jimclark wrote:
3 months ago
Arthur-vL wrote:
3 months ago
the car is key nowadays!
Nowadays ?
Other than 88 and 92, there were always 2 or 3 teams competing on a fairly even playing field, with a 4th picking up the spoils. The top teams would also rotate every 1-3 years.

6 years of domination by just one team is simply unprecedented.
93, 96, 01-02, 04??

Schumacher would have won 99 if not for Silverstone, and probably should have won 06. Likely would have won 07 and possibly 08 if he stayed on. Add to that the very real possibility of 97 & 98, that’s one driver winning 13 WDC over a 15-year period.

“It’s not domination”.

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 3 weeks ago

MONTOYA RULES wrote:
3 weeks ago

Schumacher would have won 99 if not for Silverstone, and probably should have won 06. Likely would have won 07 and possibly 08 if he stayed on. Add to that the very real possibility of 97 & 98, that’s one driver winning 13 WDC over a 15-year period.

“It’s not domination”.
Coulda woulda shoulda. But he didnt. For whatever reason. The same as he won in 1994 having cheated when he deliberately took out Hill at Adelaide.
The same could be said about a number of other drivers in those years who coulda shoulda woulda but for various reasons didn't.

History recalls what did happen, not what some / any of us might have wanted to happen but didnt.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Star
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star » 3 weeks ago

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
3 weeks ago
MONTOYA RULES wrote:
3 weeks ago

“It’s not domination”.
Coulda woulda shoulda. But he didnt. For whatever reason. The same as he won in 1994 having cheated when he deliberately took out Hill at Adelaide.
The same could be said about a number of other drivers in those years who coulda shoulda woulda but for various reasons didn't.

History recalls what did happen, not what some / any of us might have wanted to happen but didnt.
Agreed! As for 97, well that was when I lost the last respect I had for Schumacher as a driver. Then again I was a huge Villeneuve fan so it's hardly surprising is it? :haha:

I voted other, I know, controversial eh? I think Merecedes domination is coming to an end. Or maybe that is wishful thinking, F1 gets boring when one team wins all the time like that I always think. It doesn't matter which team/driver it is there is little enjoyment when you pretty much know from the first corner who is going to win.

MONTOYA RULES

Post by MONTOYA RULES » 3 weeks ago

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
3 weeks ago
MONTOYA RULES wrote:
3 weeks ago

“It’s not domination”.

Yes, that’s great, but the above is in response to 6 years domination being unprecented.