Zandvoort - the road back to F1

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
User avatar
Antonov
I have no idea what I'm talking about
I have no idea what I'm talking about
Posts: 11935
Joined: 11 years ago
Real Name: Tobias
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI
Location: home

Zandvoort - the road back to F1

Post by Antonov » 2 weeks ago


User avatar
erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 15552
Joined: 15 years ago
Real Name: Erwin Greven
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003
Location: Stadskanaal, Groningen
Contact:

Post by erwin greven » 2 weeks ago

The actual road to F1 was that dirty that a lot of Dutch motorsports fans hope it will be a fiasco.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DJ at www.metalmessiahradio.com *** Every Tuesday 1pm - 4pm EST.

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 37297
Joined: 16 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 2 weeks ago

I think we all know that this will be the worst race on the calendar. Sorry Netherlands...

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

User avatar
erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 15552
Joined: 15 years ago
Real Name: Erwin Greven
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003
Location: Stadskanaal, Groningen
Contact:

Post by erwin greven » 2 weeks ago

There were two bids in the Netherlands for organizing the GP. Zandvoort and Assen. The way how Zandvoort used their network and lobby was a dirty one. And after they won, they were demoting Assen as being never a serious candidate. "We were laughing about them". Why would Assen be a good choice?
Except for:
  • Only a very few upgrades
  • Knowhow of how to organize a big event
  • Logistics are way up to standard
  • High quality facility
  • Politics/trade industry/population are very positive
Zandvoort:
  • Historic circuit
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DJ at www.metalmessiahradio.com *** Every Tuesday 1pm - 4pm EST.

User avatar
Cheeveer
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 11534
Joined: 14 years ago
Location: 24 hours from Le Mans

Post by Cheeveer » 2 weeks ago

PTRACER wrote:
2 weeks ago
I think we all know that this will be the worst race on the calendar. Sorry Netherlands...

that's very cynical. I think it will be great, because it's an old-school challenging track. That will keep the drivers on the edge of their seats. A challenging track will cause incidents, we know that. There may not be a lot of passing, but there were no passing at Paul Ricard and that's not a challenging track.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***

User avatar
John
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 2 weeks ago

erwin greven wrote:
2 weeks ago
There were two bids in the Netherlands for organizing the GP. Zandvoort and Assen. The way how Zandvoort used their network and lobby was a dirty one. And after they won, they were demoting Assen as being never a serious candidate. "We were laughing about them". Why would Assen be a good choice?
Except for:
  • Only a very few upgrades
  • Knowhow of how to organize a big event
  • Logistics are way up to standard
  • High quality facility
  • Politics/trade industry/population are very positive
Zandvoort:
  • Historic circuit
I'm glad Assen didn't get the race - would hate to see the cathedral of speed go through a F1-ication.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

JORGE LORENZO IS A GOD.

User avatar
erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 15552
Joined: 15 years ago
Real Name: Erwin Greven
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003
Location: Stadskanaal, Groningen
Contact:

Post by erwin greven » 2 weeks ago

There would be one change. The back straight would have an extension which would not be used for the bikes. The TT would never got hurt by the upgrade.
Btw: the changes will be done anyway to make Assen an FIA grade 1 circuit. It has now a grade 2.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DJ at www.metalmessiahradio.com *** Every Tuesday 1pm - 4pm EST.

User avatar
Antonov
I have no idea what I'm talking about
I have no idea what I'm talking about
Posts: 11935
Joined: 11 years ago
Real Name: Tobias
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI
Location: home

Post by Antonov » 2 weeks ago

would be fantastic if they renovated Zolder as well, and have the Belgian Grand Prix on alternate venues.

Michkov
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 878
Joined: 13 years ago

Post by Michkov » 2 weeks ago

erwin greven wrote:
2 weeks ago
There would be one change. The back straight would have an extension which would not be used for the bikes. The TT would never got hurt by the upgrade.
Btw: the changes will be done anyway to make Assen an FIA grade 1 circuit. It has now a grade 2.
Leaving out Ruskenhoek and running straight from Strubben to Stekkenwal?

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 37297
Joined: 16 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 2 weeks ago

Cheeveer wrote:
2 weeks ago
PTRACER wrote:
2 weeks ago
I think we all know that this will be the worst race on the calendar. Sorry Netherlands...

that's very cynical. I think it will be great, because it's an old-school challenging track. That will keep the drivers on the edge of their seats. A challenging track will cause incidents, we know that. There may not be a lot of passing, but there were no passing at Paul Ricard and that's not a challenging track.
I think it will be great for the drivers, but Zandvoort is basically an F3 track. I mean, it was great to see CART at Brands Indy in 2003, but was the racing great?
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

User avatar
Cheeveer
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 11534
Joined: 14 years ago
Location: 24 hours from Le Mans

Post by Cheeveer » 1 week ago

Still better than Paul Ricard, Bahrain, Shanghai, Barcelona, Sochi, Mexico, Abu Dhabi.....
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 26675
Joined: 14 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: 8 kms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 week ago

Exactly, but tbh that doesnt make it great. Hopefully we strike it lucky.... even Sochi has the occasional good race to watch.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*


*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

User avatar
MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Posts: 4239
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 1 week ago

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
1 week ago
Exactly, but tbh that doesnt make it great. Hopefully we strike it lucky.... even Sochi has the occasional good race to watch.
Good races? Sochi? Surely you're Putin it on.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

User avatar
John
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 1 week ago

Antonov wrote:
2 weeks ago
would be fantastic if they renovated Zolder as well, and have the Belgian Grand Prix on alternate venues.
:insulted:
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

JORGE LORENZO IS A GOD.

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 26675
Joined: 14 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: 8 kms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 week ago

John wrote:
1 week ago
Antonov wrote:
2 weeks ago
would be fantastic if they renovated Zolder as well, and have the Belgian Grand Prix on alternate venues.
:insulted:
I recall Tom Walkinshaw commenting back in the day on what Zolder needed.... his reply being along the lines of there was nothing at Zolder that could not be fixed.... with a bottomless pit of money and a fleet of bulldozers.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*


*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Post Reply