Guess the Pole RULE 11

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

If Qualification is not run as scheduled...

Use whatever official timed session the FIA uses to set the grid (ex: FP2)
54%
Cancel GTP for the week/round if no official qualification (Q1, Q2, etc..) session is run.
46%
GTP Admin's choice - Whom ever is running GTP will pick based on the available choices
No votes
I don't care enough to make a choice, but I like voting in these polls (aka Jam)
No votes

Total votes: 13

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Guess the Pole RULE 11

Post by XcraigX »

Hi Guys,
After this weekend's near wash out in Japan, it's time to revisit the rules. We need a rule 11 to account for the potential doomsday scenario of a delayed or cancelled Qualification session. What are the other rules? Let's review:
THE GTP RULES (In effect since 2017)
1. Your guess must be entered in a 1:23.456 format (please use all 3 decimal places). This is not so much as a rule as the fact you will get an error if you don't put in a time to 3 decimal places.
2. You can change your time guess as many times as you wish prior to the start of the first free practice time.
3. You can not edit your time after the deadline as the system will not allow the change.
4. Points payout CHANGED IN 2017 and is:
1st = 10 Points (with a +10 point bonus for exact guess to the thousandths place for a total of 20 points)
2nd = 6 Points
3rd = 4 Points
4th = 3 Points
5th = 2 Points
6th = 1 Point
5. Any duplicate time guesses will score that place to the first person who guessed it. The second person will finish one place down, etc...
(Example: If 3 people guess the winning time the same, the first place goes to the person with the earliest guess time, 2nd goes to the next guess time and third goes to the last. The next slowest unique time will score 4th place.)

6. If you edit your time and end up with a duplicate, the last time you entered a guess will be counted as your guess time used in rule 4 (regardless if you changed back to an earlier guess).
7. The Accuracy standings are calculated based on how far your guess is from the actual pole time. Your total accuracy is a sum of all your guess differentials for the season. Often the Point Champ is different from the Accuracy Champ.
8. In order to be considered for the Accuracy standings, you must enter a guess for each round. If you miss a round, the accuracy total can not be calculated. (Often there are only a handful in the running at the end of the year.)

9. The deadline for guess entries is always the start of First Practice. Friday's for most rounds. Thursday for Monaco. Please note that many of the Asia/Pacific races have deadlines late Thurs night or VERY early Friday morning relative to Europe and North America.
10. Please PM me if you do not have a username and password and want to join the game.
Therefore Rule 11 should read (as we have already practiced):
11. If an official qualification session is delayed or rescheduled (Sunday), GTP will use the results of the official qualification session no matter when it is run. If the session is run short, GTP will use the final session of the official qualifying time used to set the grid (example: they only run Q1). However, if the session is cancelled and not rescheduled... (see voting options)
Here's where your input counts! Do we want to cancel GTP for that week? Do we allow FP2 or FP3 to count for the fastest times if the FIA use them to set the grid? Please use the voting buttons above.

A: Use whatever timed session the FIA sanctions as the time used to set the grid.
B: Cancel GTP for the week/round if no official qualification (Q1, Q2, etc..) session is run.
Of course, it will be cancelled if no timed sessions are run either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday as there would be no way to get a timing order. I realize that having zero timed sessions leading up to a race is slim to none, but it could be possible.

Share your thoughts in the comments!
Last edited by XcraigX 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

B.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

A.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

The way I see it, we base our guess based on the fact that the track becomes less 'green' and more raceable on Saturday so on this basis I voted that the GTP should be cancelled.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

B.

Everyone tries their best in qualifying, whereas practice is all sorts of things being tried. It's not an indication of speed, regardless of conditions.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago B.

Everyone tries their best in qualifying, whereas practice is all sorts of things being tried. It's not an indication of speed, regardless of conditions.
But to counter that the teams often know or have a fair idea if qualifying will go ahead and will practice accordingly and set aside some time in FPx to set a quick time just incase.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Ian-S wrote: 4 years ago

But to counter that the teams often know or have a fair idea if qualifying will go ahead and will practice accordingly and set aside some time in FPx to set a quick time just incase.
Fair point. Was it discussed before late Friday at Japan this year though? I didn't see anything (that said, I'm clearly not part of the F1 circus).

(As a semi random aside, does anyone know just how bad conditions were at Suzuka on Saturday? Was it a storm in a teacup in that part of Japan compared to elsewhere? I ask before the forecast rain was pretty low on Thursday.)

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago
(As a semi random aside, does anyone know just how bad conditions were at Suzuka on Saturday? Was it a storm in a teacup in that part of Japan compared to elsewhere? I ask before the forecast rain was pretty low on Thursday.)
I think the bad news part of the typhoon passed to the East of Suzuka after a wind change, but I know the commentary team talked about death, destruction and flooding North of the track where the Typhoon actually landed. Apparently as a at a few days ago over 50 had died as a result. (including an elderly (77y.o) woman being winched by helicopter to safety had the harness fail (improperly secured) and she plummeted to earth. :omg:

English News video of the carnage in this article: https://www.dw.com/en/japan-typhoon-hag ... a-50818858

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

The wife told me they were probably cancelling Saturday activity on either the Wednesday or Thursday before @MonteCristo and she dislikes F1 more than I do so if she knew then I guess it was being openly discussed before the Friday yeah.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Ian-S wrote: 4 years ago The wife told me they were probably cancelling Saturday activity on either the Wednesday or Thursday before @MonteCristo and she dislikes F1 more than I do so if she knew then I guess it was being openly discussed before the Friday yeah.
Fair enough!

XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 4 years ago

Fair point. Was it discussed before late Friday at Japan this year though? I didn't see anything (that said, I'm clearly not part of the F1 circus).

The link I had in the guess page was showing 100% chance of heavy rain. There was also the Typhoon warning announced. I think the teams had fair notice that there was a high chance of Saturday events could be cancelled.
(It was enough for me to shape my guess accordingly)
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

And with 10 votes we are split evenly 5 to 5 between using the practice times and cancelling the round. :roll:

@MonteCristo @John @Tom @KaiStar @Megallos @Picci @Kals @ErwinGreven @Mawerick @Ian-S @RealTeeceezy

Have you all voted? Anyone else that should weigh in?
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago And with 10 votes we are split evenly 5 to 5 between using the practice times and cancelling the round. :roll:

@MonteCristo @John @Tom @KaiStar @Megallos @Picci @Kals @ErwinGreven @Mawerick @Ian-S @RealTeeceezy

I'd like to add that I have a veto in case of a tie.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 4 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago And with 10 votes we are split evenly 5 to 5 between using the practice times and cancelling the round. :roll:

I'd like to add that I have a veto in case of a tie.
Can I veto your veto?

Can I at least just say veto? Veto.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

VETO

yes, one has voted.