Rate the 2019 German GP - I'm sorry you switched it off.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate it

38%
43%
14%
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 21

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

JBT wrote: 4 years ago Oh and I think DC is a great commentator, but his rant about Da Ham's penalty was a waste of breath - wrong side of the bollard or not, if you're that far past the pit entry, you got to go round again.
Hamilton was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Had he gone around again he'd have received a penalty for driving a damaged car around the circuit. Had he attempted to go around the bollard then he would have been travelling in the opposite direction momentarily.

Whichever scenario you attempt to play out, Hamilton would have received a penalty.
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

Fair point kals, but Hamilton's car wasn't that badly damaged IIRC - I think the it was only a broken front wing, and the right side that was still on the car wasn't flopping around loosely. I stand to be corrected if it was worse than that. I can't remember the last time a driver got shown the black and orange flag (if that's still used in F1 racing) - case in point, Alonso dragged his busted ass vehicle round three quarters of Baku last year to the pits, bit of floor, tyre and wing falling off along the way, no penalty.
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

kals wrote: 4 years ago
JBT wrote: 4 years ago Oh and I think DC is a great commentator, but his rant about Da Ham's penalty was a waste of breath - wrong side of the bollard or not, if you're that far past the pit entry, you got to go round again.
Hamilton was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Had he gone around again he'd have received a penalty for driving a damaged car around the circuit. Had he attempted to go around the bollard then he would have been travelling in the opposite direction momentarily.

Whichever scenario you attempt to play out, Hamilton would have received a penalty.
We need to start keeping a list of all the stupid penalties given out this year so we can draft angry letters to the FIA.
This one goes on the list!

:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

:agreepost:

By the way, I also rewatched Hamilton going off under safety car for onboard and a fancam that was on Twitter. Had there been an investigation for him going off it would have been incredibly harsh. He was traveling around slowly on slick tyres (first lap out of the pits) while following a Haas, his mistake was putting half a front tyre on to the damp line and it drags him off.
JBT wrote: 4 years ago Fair point kals, but Hamilton's car wasn't that badly damaged IIRC - I think the it was only a broken front wing, and the right side that was still on the car wasn't flopping around loosely. I stand to be corrected if it was worse than that. I can't remember the last time a driver got shown the black and orange flag (if that's still used in F1 racing) - case in point, Alonso dragged his busted ass vehicle round three quarters of Baku last year to the pits, bit of floor, tyre and wing falling off along the way, no penalty.
You're right, it was almost entirely front wing damage. I think the damaged flick up that was flapping was also fixed with a new nose.

The Alonso situation was strange because cars with less damage have been forced to park. I'm glad Alonso did what he did because it seems unnecessary to park an otherwise healthy car. I agree with what you're saying however the rule (with penalty) about driving with damaged cars is there in the rule book, so either Alonso got lucky that day or the FIA eased up on enforcing their own rules.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago
Vassago wrote: 4 years ago Nobody says F1 has "fixed" itself but rain always brings out the additional excitement which most fans want to see. I wonder what would have to happen to get a 10 from some people? If let's say Kvyat or Stroll won people would probably still bitch about the randomness of the result. F1 is no BTCC 30 minute sprint. If you can't handle 100 minutes of racing in the rain than you've decided to follow the wrong sport :wave:
For a perfect race I'd want to see racing for the lead. Actually, I'd want to see more racing. It was memorable because people made mistakes. I umm'ed and ahh'ed thinking 8.5 - will I go up or down, and rounded down because I'm a bitter old bastard.
So why did you not vote a 10 for Austria? Actual racing for the lead in that race. So far I was the only 10 vote.
Aside from Max and CLAP going at it, I already don't remember it. Maybe that says more about me having early onset dementia or something like that.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago Aside from Max and CLAP going at it, I already don't remember it. Maybe that says more about me having early onset dementia or something like that.

Better with the sound off (they really get over excited)
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

So Max's two 2019 wins have come from 2nd on the grid and after terrible starts.
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

Got around to watching and a 9 from me. Almost a 10 but I wanted to see more of an ontrack battle for the lead.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve