2021 Silly Season Thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

2021 Silly Season Thread

Post by kals »

Let’s kick start as a few rumours are swirling around at the moment...

Verstappen, apparently has a break clause in his contract if he’s not in the championship top 3. The speculation is that he might use it to go after Bottas’ Mercedes seat

Vettel, life isn’t too good for him at Ferrari right now and there’s talk he might try and go back to Red Bull

Ferrari, speculation is they are on the look out for a new driver
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Saw the same rumour but it was a Hamilton-Vettel-Verstappen switcheroo.

If Max was given the opportunity to go to Merc then he should grab it with both hands.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I dont see Hamilton moving from Mercedes and he likely wouldn't want a driver in the car that would challenge him. I also cant see Verstappen swapping a lead drive for a number 2 seat.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Lewis should go to Ferrari. That would spice things up nicely. Max in a Merc would be fun.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Sorry, but if Lewis wins Championship number 6 this year, I think he will retire. Especially if they change up his teammate to one of his rivals. I don't see him wanting that much challenge.

Now if we can get Verstappen in a more competitive car, I would love it. I think he has a great talent, but he is under almost no pressure right now. I would like to see him at Ferrari or Mercedes to see if he could handle it.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Lewis is so close to 100 victories and equalling Schumacher's 7 titles that I think he'll keep going for another two years.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago
Feel sorry for him. Wasn't he a McLaren driver like, 8 years ago?
XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago Sorry, but if Lewis wins Championship number 6 this year, I think he will retire. Especially if they change up his teammate to one of his rivals. I don't see him wanting that much challenge.
Doubt it. Plus second thing hasn't happened. Could you imagine Lewis and Verstappen at the same team?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I think Lewis still will race next year. Going for #7. I doubt Mercedes wants a rivalry in their team. That is why they keep Bottas. Not good enough to be a rival to Lewis, but fast enough to give them the constructors title.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago
Feel sorry for him. Wasn't he a McLaren driver like, 8 years ago?
Perez has been more successful as a FI/RP driver than either he was at or McLaren have been since the time he joined them. Actually, the same can be said of his time at Sauber.

So who gets to be Verstappen's team mate in 2020? Christian Horner has said they will look outside the current crop of junior team drivers. We know Hulk is free and would be a good temporary stop gap. But Vettel's name has been linked with this seat recently. Would he go back, and if so then who would take his seat at Ferrari?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

kals wrote: 4 years ago Perez has been more successful as a FI/RP driver than either he was at or McLaren have been since the time he joined them. Actually, the same can be said of his time at Sauber.

So who gets to be Verstappen's team mate in 2020? Christian Horner has said they will look outside the current crop of junior team drivers. We know Hulk is free and would be a good temporary stop gap. But Vettel's name has been linked with this seat recently. Would he go back, and if so then who would take his seat at Ferrari?
But RP are never going to win or challenge for podiums. I feel sorry for him and Hulkenberg because after so many years in F1, they deserve at least one season in a pukka race winning team.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
kals wrote: 4 years ago Perez has been more successful as a FI/RP driver than either he was at or McLaren have been since the time he joined them. Actually, the same can be said of his time at Sauber.

But RP are never going to win or challenge for podiums. I feel sorry for him and Hulkenberg because after so many years in F1, they deserve at least one season in a pukka race winning team.
Agree with you on that. Funnily enough I think most thought his move to McLaren was well-timed and that he'd have been challenging for victories in 2013.

Oh and by the way, hidden amongst the Perez announcements is that Stroll has also been confirmed with RP for 2020. Shocker!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

They should just state that Stroll is on an open ended contract.
hocuspocus
Favourite Motorsport: Migueldiorp
Favourite Racing Car: BMW
Favourite Driver: Migueldiorp
Favourite Circuit: www.the-fastlane.co.uk
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW

Post by hocuspocus »

Ocon in Renult for 2020, Hulkenberg out ( move to haas ? )
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/49509020
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Haas unchanged lineup for 2020.

I really dont understand this one.... Grosjean has had a nightmare couple of seasons, biffing his team mate off at times, and with Hulkenberg the Haas team had a perfect replacement. I really thought Grosjean was on his way to Formula Milkfloat.

I guess that cuts Hulks options down to Alfa, should they drop Gio..... I doubt that happening given the Gio Ferrari connection. Red Bull is I guess a long shot, but they have Albon looking the goods there,

The Haas Formula 1 team will field an unchanged driver line-up in 2020, having opted to retain Romain Grosjean alongside Kevin Magnussen.
Grosjean, who has been with the American outfit since it joined F1 in 2016, faced doubts over his continued involvement with Haas beyond 2019, as team boss Gunther Steiner confirmed the likes of Esteban Ocon - now signed for Renault - and Nico Hulkenberg were candidates to take his spot.

However, it's been decided the Frenchman will remain part of Haas' F1 roster for a fifth straight season and will continue to partner Magnussen, whose contract already ran through 2020.
Full story: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gros ... g/4543516/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always