Gio and Gasly: Who's been the worst and who will get sacked first? UPDATE: GASLY IS TOAST!

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I thought given the track conditions Giovinazzi handled himself quite professionally. He tried to keep out of trouble as best he could even though I believe we've seen him go off at one point, but so did Kimi. Gasly on the other hand...
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

So far from what we've seen, Gasly has either been rushed to Red Bull too soon or he's simply not that good when you have to improvise (suboptimal setup, wet weather, etc.). Either way, I think given Red Bull's record of impatience with non-performers, he will be the first to go while Gio's Italian connections will see him stick around a bit longer perhaps.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

SB83 wrote: 4 years ago So far from what we've seen, Gasly has either been rushed to Red Bull too soon or he's simply not that good when you have to improvise (suboptimal setup, wet weather, etc.). Either way, I think given Red Bull's record of impatience with non-performers, he will be the first to go while Gio's Italian connections will see him stick around a bit longer perhaps.
This. I also think Gasly is on borrowed time.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Red Bull gives Gasly the kiss of death :tongue:
Autosport wrote:Red Bull has silenced talk that Pierre Gasly's future at the team is again in doubt and insisted he will see out the 2019 Formula 1 season.

Another difficult weekend for Gasly at the German Grand Prix, which included a crash in practice and a race-ending clash with Alex Albon, has fuelled further speculation about his position.

Gasly's situation was not helped by Toro Rosso's Daniil Kvyat producing a brilliant performance at Hockenheim to take a podium finish, underlining that Red Bull has an obvious replacement on its books if it needs one.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko made it clear the team is committed to Gasly for the rest of 2019 at least.

"This year we won't change," he told Autosport. "We will end the season as we currently are."

But asked if Kvyat's growing form put Gasly under pressure, Marko replied: "Sure."

Gasly insisted the Hockenheim problems were "out of context" with his recent progress with the RB15 car.

Following a season-best weekend at Silverstone, Gasly qualified fourth at Hockenheim and had recorded a best lap just a tenth off team-mate Max Verstappen before it was chalked off for a track limits infringement.

But while Verstappen went on to win the chaotic race, Gasly never fully recovered from huge wheelspin at the start and a delay on his opening pitstop, and was only fighting for sixth when he tagged Albon.

"I'm just focusing on my job, performing and getting the max out of the car," Gasly said.

"And then for sure there are things to improve, with the team together. I think we are clearly making the step.

"I'm really happy with the way we are working with the team and the improvement we are doing. Just need to keep pushing in that and together we're going to get the result we deserve."

Asked if his progress had been substantial enough, he replied: "I think so. In qualifying, I got my lap time deleted but I was a few hundredths from second place, at Silverstone I was fighting a bit more to the front.

"[The Hockenheim race] was out of context but I feel that we are clearly making some big steps.

"So I'm confident it's going to pay off more consistently soon."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner expressed some frustration at the points lost in the late collision with Albon.

"It was up and down," said Horner about Gasly's weekend.

"He had a good qualifying, but then he had a difficult first pitstop - there was a problem with the right rear wheelnut. And then they had to hold him because the whole queue of cars came in.

"He started recovering, and on the last restart he passed [Sebastian] Vettel. But then he went wide on three consecutive laps at Turn 1, and that's where the other cars got past him.

"Then obviously racing with Albon, they tripped over each other, which was frustrating because it was a good opportunity to take a lot of points out of Ferrari. So instead of taking 20-odd points out of them, we've only taken seven or eight."

Horner suggested Red Bull needed Gasly to start providing more points if it was to have any hope of overhauling Ferrari for second in the constructors' championship.

The gap between the two teams is now 44 points, and Horner believes Red Bull can overcome that deficit "if we start double scoring".
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Gasly reminds me a bit of Ivan Capelli at Ferrari. Touted to do well, but endured a horror season and his career fizzled out shortly after.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

ReneLotus wrote: 4 years ago Gasly reminds me a bit of Ivan Capelli at Ferrari. Touted to do well, but endured a horror season and his career fizzled out shortly after.
Red Bull has broken more careers than made them. Look at all those Junior drivers who raced for Toro Rosso then disappeared off the map.

EDIT: By that I mean ended up in Formula E.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
ReneLotus wrote: 4 years ago Gasly reminds me a bit of Ivan Capelli at Ferrari. Touted to do well, but endured a horror season and his career fizzled out shortly after.
Red Bull has broken more careers than made them. Look at all those Junior drivers who raced for Toro Rosso then disappeared off the map.

EDIT: By that I mean ended up in Formula E.
This comes off far funnier that I think you meant it to be. :haha:
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago EDIT: By that I mean ended up in Formula E.
Damn, that roast.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Re Gasly's future Horner has indicated that Gasly is on a short string and needs to improve, even citing blame on Gasly (who finished in Hungary over a lap down on Max) for Max not winning.... I guess on the basis that Gasly was not in the mx or close enough to Lewis to have made Mercedes double think their decision to pit Lewis.
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner intimated that the Frenchman could be dropped if his performances do not improve.

“Our intention is to leave him in the car until the end of the year,” said Horner.

“But we desperately need to see him realising more of the potential of the car.”

Horner went as far as placing some of the blame for losing the race to Mercedes on the shoulders of Gasly, given that Hamilton was allowed a free pit stop which gave him fresh tyres to run down Verstappen.

“It has been a frustrating weekend for Pierre,” he declared.

“The start wasn’t great, the first lap wasn’t great, and we shouldn’t be racing Saubers (Alfa Romeos) and McLarens.

“We need him to be racing Ferraris and Mercedes, and everything we can do to try to help him do that, we will do.

“The problem is he is not in the mix at all.

“It is not like if Lewis pitted he was going to come out behind him. Both Mercedes and Red Bull had one-legged races with their team-mates out of contention.”

Bottas, who is now more than two races behind Hamilton in the championship, is also coming off-contract and Mercedes has Esteban Ocon waiting in the wings.

Ocon only lost his Racing Point ride at the end of 2018 when Lance Stroll arrived at the team which had been saved from administration by a consortium led by the latter’s father.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/07/ha ... t-to-fill/

In the article Hamilton also suggests Red Bull have a vacancy for next year, suggesting they should look at Alonso.

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago Re Gasly's future Horner has indicated that Gasly is on a short string and needs to improve, even citing blame on Gasly (who finished in Hungary over a lap down on Max) for Max not winning.... I guess on the basis that Gasly was not in the mx or close enough to Lewis to have made Mercedes double think their decision to pit Lewis.
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner intimated that the Frenchman could be dropped if his performances do not improve.

“Our intention is to leave him in the car until the end of the year,” said Horner.

“But we desperately need to see him realising more of the potential of the car.”

Horner went as far as placing some of the blame for losing the race to Mercedes on the shoulders of Gasly, given that Hamilton was allowed a free pit stop which gave him fresh tyres to run down Verstappen.

“It has been a frustrating weekend for Pierre,” he declared.

“The start wasn’t great, the first lap wasn’t great, and we shouldn’t be racing Saubers (Alfa Romeos) and McLarens.

“We need him to be racing Ferraris and Mercedes, and everything we can do to try to help him do that, we will do.

“The problem is he is not in the mix at all.

“It is not like if Lewis pitted he was going to come out behind him. Both Mercedes and Red Bull had one-legged races with their team-mates out of contention.”

Bottas, who is now more than two races behind Hamilton in the championship, is also coming off-contract and Mercedes has Esteban Ocon waiting in the wings.

Ocon only lost his Racing Point ride at the end of 2018 when Lance Stroll arrived at the team which had been saved from administration by a consortium led by the latter’s father.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/07/ha ... t-to-fill/

In the article Hamilton also suggests Red Bull have a vacancy for next year, suggesting they should look at Alonso.
Alonso is like a vampire that refuses to die at this point. And by now it feels redundant to even bring up the fact that Honda would rather fold the entire company altogether than work with Alonso.

Edit: Also, I wonder how Gasly feels when he sees that the most successful driver in modern F1 thinks he should be sacked :haha:

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Is Alonso to Red Bull even an option after all the bad blood with Honda? They still seem to have it out for him, given their recent 'That's GP2 victories' after Max won Hockenheim.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I would not think so... even when they were with Renault Alonso was said by the team to not be on their radar and words to the effect that he is often more de-motivational and team than motivational

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

why bring in Alonso when you know it just creates trouble inside the team?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

RBR won't choose Alonso. Their future is Max.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

SB83 wrote: 4 years ago Is Alonso to Red Bull even an option after all the bad blood with Honda? They still seem to have it out for him, given their recent 'That's GP2 victories' after Max won Hockenheim.
Their what now? :haha:

CEREAL IS A SOUP.