2019 F1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: 1976 Tyrrell 6-wheeler
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Re: 2019 F1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE

Post by XcraigX » 4 months ago

Latest post of the previous page:

SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
kals wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
At least 2002 and 2004 had exciting sounding and looking cars. This season doesn't even have that.
No, instead 2002 and 2004 had team orders at Ferrari and multiple races with manipulated results. Yay!?!
No, what? 2002/2004 cars didn't look and sound a lot better than today's cars?

And now you don't even need team orders because Bottas can't keep up most of the time. Not that Barrichello challenged Schumacher every race either.
But I think the point is that when Barrichello was able to win, Ferrari ordered 'la switcherooni'. See Austria '02. This year is maybe just as unchallenged, but at least there are no team orders at Mercedes. Bottas is free to win if he can.

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals » 4 months ago

XcraigX wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
kals wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
At least 2002 and 2004 had exciting sounding and looking cars. This season doesn't even have that.
No, instead 2002 and 2004 had team orders at Ferrari and multiple races with manipulated results. Yay!?!

And now you don't even need team orders because Bottas can't keep up most of the time. Not that Barrichello challenged Schumacher every race either.
But I think the point is that when Barrichello was able to win, Ferrari ordered 'la switcherooni'. See Austria '02. This year is maybe just as unchallenged, but at least there are no team orders at Mercedes. Bottas is free to win if he can.
:agreepost:

Correct, this is my point. I’m not disputing the look or sound of the cars, but Ferrari and Schumacher manipulated multiple races results be it through team orders (Austria, Nurburgring, etc...) or Schumacher trying to be clever (Indy) that the races weren’t truly races. Rubens was never a match for Michael on track and had a number two stipulation in his contract which meant he only won when 1) the team said he could stay ahead of Michael or 2) when Michael fucked up (China 2004).

Tom
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tom » 4 months ago

I got bored winding through this race. What is clearly needed is a long detailed analysis backed up by evidence which can be presented en masse to those in charge to try and get some kind of change.

I'm obviously the wrong person to do this, being terminally thick, so I will simply resort to stale memes...

John
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09

Post by John » 4 months ago

Tom wrote:
4 months ago
I got bored winding through this race. What is clearly needed is a long detailed analysis backed up by evidence which can be presented en masse to those in charge to try and get some kind of change.

I'm obviously the wrong person to do this, being terminally thick, so I will simply resort to stale memes...

Surprised Pikachu will NEVER become stale.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

SB83
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Nordschelife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Suzuki Ritz (Splash), Ford Ecosport

Post by SB83 » 4 months ago

kals wrote:
4 months ago
XcraigX wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
kals wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago

Correct, this is my point. I’m not disputing the look or sound of the cars, but Ferrari and Schumacher manipulated multiple races results be it through team orders (Austria, Nurburgring, etc...) or Schumacher trying to be clever (Indy) that the races weren’t truly races. Rubens was never a match for Michael on track and had a number two stipulation in his contract which meant he only won when 1) the team said he could stay ahead of Michael or 2) when Michael fucked up (China 2004).
Yes, at the start of the season, Bottas was allowed to win but now that Hamilton is the clear favourite, don't you think they'll go back to twisting Bottas' arm every race like they did last year? That's the only difference, in that Barichello was in a supporting role from the start of the season, while Mercedes waits till Hamilton inevitably emerges as the clear favourite horse to back. :)

MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
I don't know why you guys still tune in, to be honest. It is literally like standing by the highway and watching cars go by, perhaps even that is too flattering a comparison for the on-track product being what it is. F1 has dug itself a really deep and complex hole and I don't think they'll get out of it anytime soon. The product reeks from every single angle. I can't think of a single thing I like about it at the moment. Not. One. Thing.
I saw a kid driving a Lambo down the road the other day. So you've got a better chance of something interesting happening staring at traffic.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative

kals wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
Nothing's changed. Ferrari flipped their cars around with team orders this year as well! :mrgreen:

But the cars sound and look like shit.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion

Vassago
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Vassago » 4 months ago

I was highly critical of halo (still true) but I don't care about the sounds & beautiful cars all that much. 2002 & 2004 was much worse esp. with my guy JPM putting some fight in qualifying but your just knew all these poles were wasted come race day due to you know whom.

Beautiful cars? Hell, bring back the walrus thing 10 times over if only it means we have some overtaking. Or the 2014 nose crap. I don't care.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...

caneparo
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo » 4 months ago

I just read an autosprint article which says that it’s better to be invited to have launche at mothers in law house rather than watch such a race.
I think it clearly sums up the mood of the people watching this thing
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

People have very short memories. To those that don't and remember last year's Canadian GP... :whistling:

John
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09

Post by John » 4 months ago

kals wrote:
4 months ago
People have very short memories. To those that don't and remember last year's Canadian GP... :whistling:
I don't remember anything about that race except the Stroll/Hartley crash, and that it was boring as shite.

But I'm guessing that's exactly what you're referring to. :wink:
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative

John wrote:
4 months ago
kals wrote:
4 months ago
I don't remember anything about that race except the Stroll/Hartley crash, and that it was boring as shite.

But I'm guessing that's exactly what you're referring to. :wink:
Was last year the flag incident, or was that 2017?

Antonov
I have no idea what I'm talking about
I have no idea what I'm talking about
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov » 4 months ago

you mean with the super model waiving the flag a lap early? Yes, 2018.

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Antonov wrote:
4 months ago
you mean with the super model being instructed to wave the flag a lap early and then getting criticized by keyboard warriors? Yes, 2018.
Corrected

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 4 months ago

kals wrote:
4 months ago
XcraigX wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
kals wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago

I always regarded 2002 as the worst season, but a Williams won Round 2 and then a McLaren won round 7. So we had 3 different winners from 3 different teams in the first 7 rounds and it would have been 4 different winners if Barrichello had not been swapped on the line at Austria. That's better than 2 winners from 1 team like we have this year.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

XcraigX
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Racing Car: 1976 Tyrrell 6-wheeler
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX » 4 months ago

PTRACER wrote:
4 months ago
kals wrote:
4 months ago
XcraigX wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago
kals wrote:
4 months ago
SB83 wrote:
4 months ago

I always regarded 2002 as the worst season, but a Williams won Round 2 and then a McLaren won round 7. So we had 3 different winners from 3 different teams in the first 7 rounds and it would have been 4 different winners if Barrichello had not been swapped on the line at Austria. That's better than 2 winners from 1 team like we have this year.
I would like to go on record that I don't think this year is better than 2002. I'm just saying that there were times Barrichello could beat Schumacher, but the team did not allow it. It's still too early to tell. It's possible that we could get some surprises yet and turn this 2019 around into something a bit better. The glass is half full so far. :roll: