Rate the Canadian GP 2019

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the Canadian GP 2019

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
6%
35%
12%
6%
12%
29%

Total votes: 17

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

caneparo wrote: 4 years ago To be honest I would have been happier to see hamilton pass vettel on the track. Without a penalty that is a distorted interpretation of the rulebook. I think also hamilton and mercedes regretted their own complaint, people want to see wheel banging. Fair but though racing. Everybody has complained this decision which looks really undefendabke for current safety standards. If you think that this is the formula 1, if you think that montecarlo was a thrilling race then I let you go. I would need several bottle of wines to find this amusing, and my liver will complain every sunday
Did Hamilton and Mercedes complain? I know Hamilton's radio was broadcast but are we assuming because Lewis called out what he saw, that he and Mercedes are the reason Vettel's mistake was investigated?
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

John wrote: 4 years ago
kals wrote: 4 years ago
caneparo wrote: 4 years ago You can’t compare this with suzuka 89 come on
Why not?

In the aftermath of Suzuka 1989 Ron Dennis did a press conference where he reviewed the criteria of the case the FIA prepared against Senna, which included the 'rules' that he had violated. During that conference Dennis read out one specific rule about rejoining the circuit from the point at which a car had left, which meant going against the flow of traffic, and showed videos of other cars doing the same as what Senna had done.

Prost and Balestre influenced the stewards that day, the latter DSQ'ing Senna.

You can be unhappy Toni. You cannot be surprised that this is happening though. Questionable decisions and part of the fabric of this and every other sport.
*cough* The ball wasn't over the line in the World Cup finals in 1966 *cough*
*cough* Maradona's 'hand of god' *cough*
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Sure they did complain. Let’s get focused on the real point. Liberty and pirelli are destroying the little credibility that was left in this sport after tilke started designing the circuits. Ask yourself if this is what you expect when you pay the monthly fee of the pay tv
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

caneparo wrote: 4 years ago Sure they did complain. Let’s get focused on the real point.
How do you know? Where was this confirmed?
caneparo wrote: 4 years agoLet’s get focused on the real point. Liberty and pirelli are destroying the little credibility that was left in this sport after tilke started designing the circuits. Ask yourself if this is what you expect when you pay the monthly fee of the pay tv
Yes, yes I know. You've been making these same points for a number of years. And yet here you are still watching the sport and engaging in debate about the state of F1 as well as the races, plus incidents. The point being is that you are perpetually unhappy with the sport and yet won't turn away from it.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Right, I just saw what happened. Absolutely disgusting by the FIA to do this at the only race where we have seen any competition for Mercedes.

What was the message??

Hamilton: "He just came on the track so dangerously."
Engineer: "Yeah, copy Lewis. We're on it."

Was it Hamilton and his engineer who got Vettel the penalty? Well, maybe not. But I agree with @caneparo. This is not sport at all. This is the complete pussification of F1. Yes, there are times in the distant past where the stewards have stuck their fingers too far up someone's bum. Mark Webber at Germany in 2009 comes to mind. Yes, Balestre's decision to penalise Senna back in '89 was equally as insane. But right now, F1 is a wounded animal, and we don't NEED this kind of bollocks right now. Right now they need to stop sucking everything out of it. We otherwise had a good battle between Ferrari and Mercedes yesterday.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Webber's penalty at the 2009 German GP was deserved. Whereas Alonso's penalty following qualifying of the 2006 Italian GP was not.

But none of this is new. We've been complaining about the pussification of F1 for many many years. Be it stewarding decisions, car designs, sporting regulations, circuit neutering, etc...
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

kals wrote: 4 years ago Webber's penalty at the 2009 German GP was deserved. Whereas Alonso's penalty following qualifying of the 2006 Italian GP was not.

But none of this is new. We've been complaining about the pussification of F1 for many many years. Be it stewarding decisions, car designs, sporting regulations, circuit neutering, etc...
Are you insane? Webber's penalty was deserved no more than Alonso's.

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years agoAre you insane?
Why is it necessary to say something like this because we disagree on an incident?

It is ok to disagree. I saw Webber shoulder charge Barrichello on the run off the grid. It left a big donut on the side of Ruben's car and the Brawn swerved on contact.

The point I was making with reference to Alonso at Monza in 2006 is that questionable stewarding decisions are not new, as I briefly mentioned here earlier:
caneparo wrote: 4 years ago Yes you’re true. F1 HAS BECOME really boring
Exactly, so let's not pretend what's going on is new. This is no different to Monaco 2006, or Italy 2006, or Italy 1976, or Italy 2003, or Spa 2008, or Malaysia 2002, or Germany 2010, or Singapore 2017, or Japan 1989, or many other incidents... :smiley:
But we're behaving like they are. Emotion and anger is understandable in the circumstance, although let's not lose sight of facts and past precedent.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years agoAre you insane?
Why is it necessary to say something like this because we disagree on an incident?

It is ok to disagree. I saw Webber shoulder charge Barrichello on the run off the grid. It left a big donut on the side of Ruben's car and the Brawn swerved on contact.

The point I was making with reference to Alonso at Monza in 2006 is that questionable stewarding decisions are not new, as I briefly mentioned here earlier:
caneparo wrote: 4 years ago Yes you’re true. F1 HAS BECOME really boring
Exactly, so let's not pretend what's going on is new. This is no different to Monaco 2006, or Italy 2006, or Italy 1976, or Italy 2003, or Spa 2008, or Malaysia 2002, or Germany 2010, or Singapore 2017, or Japan 1989, or many other incidents... :smiley:
But we're behaving like they are. Emotion and anger is understandable in the circumstance, although let's not lose sight of facts and past precedent.
Because supporting any decision like that, unless it's a clear cut attempt to drive another competitor off-course a la Schumacher @ Jerez '97, is really the complete anti-wotsit of racing.

Also here's your very own comment from the 2009 German GP thread on 12th July 2009. What changed?
kals wrote: 14 years ago And the two-bit stewards are at it again... what a bullshit penalty for Webber! Yes he did swerve and make minor contact but there was no need for a drive through. Reprimand, yes. Fine, yes. Drive through, no way!!! It seems nowadays the stewards are playing god rather than let the drivers attempt to race...

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

it starts to look like twitter...
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

So I've changed my mind in the 10 years since that race. That's fine. It happens. My use of hyperbole has also mellowed. But I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everyone has his own opinion about this. Please all, don't start to attack others who have a different opinion.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago Everyone has his own opinion about this. Please all, don't start to attack others who have a different opinion.
:agreepost:
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
kals wrote: 4 years ago Webber's penalty at the 2009 German GP was deserved. Whereas Alonso's penalty following qualifying of the 2006 Italian GP was not.

Are you insane? Webber's penalty was deserved no more than Alonso's.

Thank god for the video. I was just about to ask what Webber did in Germany 09... lol

I gave it a 5 because it wasn't that poor by 2019 standards. But overall this season has been very poor so far. Really, really really poor.

When you look at that video from 10 years ago you can easily see how much more racey and pointy the cars were. That year was quite good for the sport.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

For a Canadian it was a so so race but again DRS resolved conflicts too quick. Not too mention the farce in the front, but hey at least we got F1 on our minds whilst Le Mans is happening.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

3. Meh plus officials doing their usual thing.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion