Niki Lauda RIP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

XcraigX wrote: 3 years agoI'm actually quite curious in some of the negative reactions about super sports cars in general. Of course they are ridiculous and insanely expensive and not practical. That's almost their point. But we all need something to dream about right?
I dream about things I can afford :haha:

I kind of feel the same about supercars. The Ferrari I drove still felt like a perfectly ordinary road car, even if it did have amazing abilities, but I don't need those abilities 99% of the time.

If I had £100,000 then better to spend £10-£15,000 on an ordinary road car and the other £85,000 on racing (since I don't need a road car that can do 200mph, and the race car I buy would be much faster on track than the Ferrari anyway).
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago I'm actually quite curious in some of the negative reactions about super sports cars in general.
I don't like sports cars in general, I'd rather be dead than seen in one of them. All any car is good for is to get from A to B, everything else is just pretentious BS. You want to pretend you're rich, and care about driving a car that is way overpowered for street use then fine, go ahead. I don't, and I think of people who do as ridiculous wankers.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

If i had the money to buy and maintain a sports car i definitely would buy one. I love powerful cars, driving fast (yes, drive too fast at certain places). But i would keep a car like i have now.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago I'm actually quite curious in some of the negative reactions about super sports cars in general.
I don't like sports cars in general, I'd rather be dead than seen in one of them. All any car is good for is to get from A to B, everything else is just pretentious BS. You want to pretend you're rich, and care about driving a car that is way overpowered for street use then fine, go ahead. I don't, and I think of people who do as ridiculous wankers.
With a responsive car in city traffic I dare to say it's always little more for me than just distance displacement from A to B. It is realisation after each move - Yes I Can, and getting away with it.
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Aty wrote: 3 years ago
With a responsive car in city traffic I dare to say it's always little more for me than just distance displacement from A to B. It is realisation after each move - Yes I Can, and getting away with it.

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years agoI'm actually quite curious in some of the negative reactions about super sports cars in general.
Indeed. I'd give anything to have my lowly :sly: "Catang", or "Muspri" if you prefer, I told you about, back again. It was going to be, and has been, my last "semi-sleeper". :)

Mebbe it's circumstances where these folk live...... Image
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Aty wrote: 3 years ago
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I'm curious as to what you drive.
We all make choices on how to spend our money. If all we need was to get from A to B, you can do that on a city bus. Why have a car at all? Or if you have a car, why have any features whatsoever?
If I'm going to pay in excess of $20k for a road appliance, I'd rather it be more interesting to drive than a turd cart.
I usually go for something sporty so it's fun to drive and something used so it's not expensive. If I had lots of excess cash, I would buy a supercar, but would not drive it on the road. Cars like that are expensive toys and should be enjoyed on open track weekends where you can actually do something with it.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago
I'm curious as to what you drive.
We all make choices on how to spend our money. If all we need was to get from A to B, you can do that on a city bus. Why have a car at all? Or if you have a car, why have any features whatsoever?
If I'm going to pay in excess of $20k for a road appliance, I'd rather it be more interesting to drive than a turd cart.
I usually go for something sporty so it's fun to drive and something used so it's not expensive. If I had lots of excess cash, I would buy a supercar, but would not drive it on the road. Cars like that are expensive toys and should be enjoyed on open track weekends where you can actually do something with it.
Generalisation seldom ends up well. Have you ever tried to get to work in Canada? In Toronto I travelled every day 40+40 km. On the weekend to do some shopping for groceries added another couple of hundred clicks. As the matter of fact once I went through the exercise how I would travel by bus. I spare you details, but one trip in the morning would put me on the road for 6 hours, having to catch two bus lines, waiting a lot, and walk about 1 km in last stretch, arriwing in my office about 20 min late.

Having said that, in contrast, on my current location, public transport is superb, timely, cheap, comfy, whilst available parking is almost nonexistent, thus keeping car locked in the garage makes a lot of sense.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

I'd take a Corvette C8.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I am sure there is a Niki Lauda thread somewhere but I couldn't find it and I can only scroll through so many pages before I have to give up. Today would have been his 73rd birthday and people were remembering him on twitter. ESPN tweeted the following story about him. I did check and I have found the story other places so I am going to say it's true. I hope it is anyway, good on him I say!!

Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Thanks to whoever moved my post to this thread, much appreciated :)

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Star wrote: 2 years ago I am sure there is a "Niki Lauda" thread somewhere but I couldn't find it and I can only scroll through so many pages before I have to give up.
Star - At the top of each page is the search, also the advanced search.
I just plugged "Niki Lauda" in the advanced search, ticked off the "Topic titles only" and voila, the resulting.....search.php?keywords=niki+lauda&terms=al ... mit=Search
'Saves all that page turning. :wink:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

jimclark wrote: 2 years ago
Star wrote: 2 years ago I am sure there is a "Niki Lauda" thread somewhere but I couldn't find it and I can only scroll through so many pages before I have to give up.
Star - At the top of each page is the search, also the advanced search.
I just plugged "Niki Lauda" in the advanced search, ticked off the "Topic titles only" and voila, the resulting.....search.php?keywords=niki+lauda&terms=al ... mit=Search
'Saves all that page turning. :wink:
Thanks for the tip. I was looking for this thread in the nostalgia section as that is where I assumed it would be, apparently not then :dunno:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

20th May 2019

RIP Niki Lauda

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

A couple of videos from Niki's funeral. A number of very recognisable faces in both.
One you need to click the watch on you tube button.

These videos and also info on his last wishes from here: https://sfcriga.com/the-last-wish-of-niki-lauda

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always