2019 Emirates Gran Premio de España

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
John
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 6882
Joined: 4 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Re: 2019 Emirates Gran Premio de España

Post by John » 1 year ago

Latest post of the previous page:

kals wrote:
1 year ago
Vassago wrote:
1 year ago
kals wrote:
1 year ago
Hardly. Stroll pinches Norris. There was enough space for two cars through that corner. Stroll turns into T2 as if no one is there.

I thought I heard Brundle say he thought Norris was enough alongside. Maybe I misheard him.
Nope, he blamed Norris alright. Stroll was 3/4 lenghts ahead. Right of way prevails. 100% Norris fault, it's not his corner by any means.
So you’re saying Stroll was entitled to turn into the corner regardless of where Norris was? It’s not as if Norris surprised Stroll, as the Racing Point driver was defending going into turn 1.

I’m not saying Norris was blameless, rather we disagree about Stroll’s involvement. Whether we agree or disagree, at least it’s given us something to discuss after a pretty dire race.
I think Stroll expected Norris to back up, while also he probably saw the chance to give him a bit of a squeeze. I stand by my view that Norris should have backed off, the corner exit would have been compromised and Stroll would have had him in the following sweeper.
kals wrote:
1 year ago
John wrote:
1 year ago
This season really has been garbage so far. One good race, Bahrain, and four duds.
Yep. And there’s still, 16 races of this left? :roll:
Fark. :banghead:
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
- Cato the elder

User avatar
Vassago
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: 17 years ago
Location: Poland

Post by Vassago » 1 year ago

kals wrote:
1 year ago
Vassago wrote:
1 year ago
kals wrote:
1 year ago
Hardly. Stroll pinches Norris. There was enough space for two cars through that corner. Stroll turns into T2 as if no one is there.

I thought I heard Brundle say he thought Norris was enough alongside. Maybe I misheard him.
Nope, he blamed Norris alright. Stroll was 3/4 lenghts ahead. Right of way prevails. 100% Norris fault, it's not his corner by any means.
So you’re saying Stroll was entitled to turn into the corner regardless of where Norris was? It’s not as if Norris surprised Stroll, as the Racing Point driver was defending going into turn 1.

I’m not saying Norris was blameless, rather we disagree about Stroll’s involvement. Whether we agree or disagree, at least it’s given us something to discuss after a pretty dire race.
Just look what Grosjean did while battling Magnussen. In the days of astro-turf racing there's a ton of space to go off track without damaging your car. Stroll & Norris are born & raised on the damn astro-turf. Norris should have known better. He clipped the rear wheel, totally his fault.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...

User avatar
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 28275
Joined: 12 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 year ago

Vassago wrote:
1 year ago
Just look what Grosjean did while battling Magnussen. In the days of astro-turf racing there's a ton of space to go off track without damaging your car. Stroll & Norris are born & raised on the damn astro-turf. Norris should have known better. He clipped the rear wheel, totally his fault.
Grosjean and Magnussen happened much earlier through turn one. Not really comparable. Norris and Stroll clashed front wheel to rear wheel, which is a significant portion of car that Norris had alongside Stroll. If it had been Norris’ front wingtip hit Stroll then it would have been 100% on him. But it wasn’t, so it isn’t.
John wrote:
1 year ago
I think Stroll expected Norris to back up, while also he probably saw the chance to give him a bit of a squeeze. I stand by my view that Norris should have backed off, the corner exit would have been compromised and Stroll would have had him in the following sweeper.
The first part I agree with, but it’s late in the race and Stroll was already on the defensive. So to assume or believe your combatant was going to freely yield is naive.

And if people are of the opinion Norris should have backed out to avoid an incident, then they should also be of the belief that Stroll should have left more room in turn two... to avoid the incident.

User avatar
John
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 6882
Joined: 4 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 1 year ago

Gahd, we're arguing about Stroll and Norris clashing in their battle for umpteenth position. This season is well and truly shite.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
- Cato the elder

User avatar
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 28275
Joined: 12 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 year ago

John wrote:
1 year ago
Gahd, we're arguing about Stroll and Norris clashing in their battle for umpteenth position. This season is well and truly shite.
For the second time today....

Ericsson’s fault

User avatar
Circuitmaster
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 581
Joined: 4 years ago

Post by Circuitmaster » 1 year ago

Bye-bye Catalunya. You will not be missed
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 38619
Joined: 17 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 1 year ago

John wrote:
1 year ago
Gahd, we're arguing about Stroll and Norris clashing in their battle for umpteenth position. This season is well and truly shite.
I struggled to imagine how it could be worse than last season, but somehow it is.

Mercedes now take their 5th consecutive 1-2 finish. If they do so again in the next race (highly likely), then they will achieve a new world record since 5 consecutive 1-2s is the most any team have ever achieved.
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 38619
Joined: 17 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 1 year ago

DoubleFart wrote:
1 year ago
I blamed it 60/40 on stroll as well. Sky seemed to blame Norris.
I agree with this, 60/40. Anyway, stewards decision on the incident (where no penalty will be given) reflects our opinion:
"The stewards believe that the driver of car #4 could have backed out of the attempted overtake into Turn 2 and also that the driver of car #18 might have been more aware of the possibility that car #4 could be on his inside."
King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records

User avatar
Vassago
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: 17 years ago
Location: Poland

Post by Vassago » 1 year ago

kals wrote:
1 year ago
Vassago wrote:
1 year ago
Just look what Grosjean did while battling Magnussen. In the days of astro-turf racing there's a ton of space to go off track without damaging your car. Stroll & Norris are born & raised on the damn astro-turf. Norris should have known better. He clipped the rear wheel, totally his fault.
Grosjean and Magnussen happened much earlier through turn one. Not really comparable. Norris and Stroll clashed front wheel to rear wheel, which is a significant portion of car that Norris had alongside Stroll. If it had been Norris’ front wingtip hit Stroll then it would have been 100% on him. But it wasn’t, so it isn’t.
It is comparable because that astro-turf & escape road in T1 is put there for a reason. Norris fault 100%.

However the track will be gone from F1 so we can enjoy the Zandvoort procession next year :haha:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 29424
Joined: 14 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 year ago

PTRACER wrote:
1 year ago

Mercedes now take their 5th consecutive 1-2 finish. If they do so again in the next race (highly likely), then they will achieve a new world record since 5 consecutive 1-2s is the most any team have ever achieved.
They already have the record for the most 1-2 finishes at the start of the season. Even they have not done that before, all previous runs of 5 were mid season.

Ferrari have dominated pre season testing here the last couple of years but have not managed a podium since 2017.

Max has continued his run of not finishing lower than he has started to 14 races..... since last season’s Hungarian Grand Prix. (When he started 7th but DNFd.)

*Sebastian, Lance is faster than you... do you understand?*


*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

User avatar
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 28275
Joined: 12 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 year ago

Vassago wrote:
1 year ago
It is comparable because that astro-turf & escape road in T1 is put there for a reason. Norris fault 100%.

However the track will be gone from F1 so we can enjoy the Zandvoort procession next year :haha:
Thank goodness we don’t agree, otherwise Fastlane would be as dreary as the 2019 F1 season :haha:

Apparently Circuit de Catalunya are confident they will renew their agreement and host F1 in 2020. Urgh!

User avatar
Picci
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 601
Joined: 5 years ago
Real Name: Stephen Piccinino
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit
Location: Swieqi, Malta

Post by Picci » 1 year ago

I'm still waiting for the race to start. I just watched 66 formation laps.

This is arguably one of the most awful races since Indy 2005.

User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5216
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 1 year ago

29 laps into the race currently.

Highlight - the wind is picking up.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

User avatar
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 28275
Joined: 12 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 year ago

MonteCristo wrote:
1 year ago
29 laps into the race currently.

Highlight - the wind is picking up.
Bear with it as the rain will come soon. It’s worth the wait.

No hang on, wrong thread. That was Indycar.

User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5216
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 1 year ago

I didn't post further because there were no further highlights.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

User avatar
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 28275
Joined: 12 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 year ago

MonteCristo wrote:
1 year ago
I didn't post further because there were no further highlights.
Saying 'there were no further highlights' suggests there were highlights earlier in the race. Did I miss something?

Post Reply