Zandvoort to replace Barcelona from 2020

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago Noticed this:
> Here's my formula...
>
> 1. Bring back big slick tyres (more control in overtaking attempts)
> 2. Make the wings smaller (less affected by turbulence)
> 3. Increase under-body ground effects (venturi tunnels, etc)
> 4. Manual gear selection (bring back the stick!).
> 5. Ban tyre-changes during a race (driver forced to look after tyres)
> 6. Not sure about re-fueling...is that a good or bad thing?
We now have drivers who have to look after their tires the whole fkn race... I think it was @caneparo who said they tires should be a such that the drivers could attack the whole stint.
There s a point in tyre management, but it’s not possible to have every sunday a procession where all drivers drive 10 seconds slower than qualifying in order to avoid a pit stop. That’s what i mean
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Vassago wrote: 4 years ago Pirelli got a lot of slack for answering FIA demands in creating less durable tires to provide 'excitement'. Have people forgotten about this already? A couple of tyre blowouts and we'll hear more whining about 'safety first'.

The ban on refuelling was supposed to force drivers to pass on track and don't follow different strategy and wait for the pitstop to make a move. Guess what, the undercut is still the name of the game! You don't need refuelling to play the pitstop strategy thing.

Moreover the "cost-saving" engine limits make teams go extra safe with calling strategy. Nobody's gonna risk using the engine life too much to finish 4th instead of 5th bc you get slapped with a grid penalty.
Well all this started because in Canada 2010 Bridgestone got some weird tyres and everyone started pitting like crazy. The FiA got really excited and said, hey how about this for some spice?

The problem with these tyres (how I understand it) is not that they're not durable, but that their temperatures go outside of their operating window very easily. They do not get torn by normal wear like they did in the 90s-2004. I want to see drivers pushing hard like qualifying every lap like the good old days. Better still, if we had many different tyre manufacturers, they would all have strengths at different circuits and conditions (e.g. in 2006 Michelins were pretty crap in changeable conditions, Bridgestones were pretty poor in the full wet) and so on.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Picci wrote: 4 years ago
Vassago wrote: 4 years ago Pirelli got a lot of slack for answering FIA demands in creating less durable tires to provide 'excitement'. Have people forgotten about this already? A couple of tyre blowouts and we'll hear more whining about 'safety first'.

The ban on refuelling was supposed to force drivers to pass on track and don't follow different strategy and wait for the pitstop to make a move. Guess what, the undercut is still the name of the game! You don't need refuelling to play the pitstop strategy thing.

Moreover the "cost-saving" engine limits make teams go extra safe with calling strategy. Nobody's gonna risk using the engine life too much to finish 4th instead of 5th bc you get slapped with a grid penalty.
Well all this started because in Canada 2010 Bridgestone got some weird tyres and everyone started pitting like crazy. The FiA got really excited and said, hey how about this for some spice?

The problem with these tyres (how I understand it) is not that they're not durable, but that their temperatures go outside of their operating window very easily. They do not get torn by normal wear like they did in the 90s-2004. I want to see drivers pushing hard like qualifying every lap like the good old days. Better still, if we had many different tyre manufacturers, they would all have strengths at different circuits and conditions (e.g. in 2006 Michelins were pretty crap in changeable conditions, Bridgestones were pretty poor in the full wet) and so on.
Pirelli can make a 1960s like durable tires so teams use one set per 5 race weekends but that's not what FIA wants. Even the qualifying is a strategy these days when top teams want to save the best compound for Q3 or the race itself. Technically having a one-lap qual shootout would remove all the strategy risks and force drivers to go all-in but we've seen how a change in weather can send all those plans up in smoke. Let's face it, F1 is ALL about strategy these days. Going 100% is not what F1 is about anymore except maybe for a second run in Q3 for the best. Tire wars would sound OK but someone would ineviteably gain an advantage and force the other one out. It's happened to Goodyear in IndyCar when Firestone blew them away in a span of two years. In 1997 there were still on par but in 1999 Goodyear was only doing better in wet weather and got smoked everywhere else, ovals, street & road circuits so they pulled out.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...