F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

John wrote: 5 years ago 'Straya 2013, or pretty much six years ago, was the last time that Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull didn't win a race.
And the race before that was the last time McLaren won.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I ran the numbers on the previous 3 seasons with the new fastest lap extra point.

4 points out of 62 are lost due to non points finishing position of the fastest lapper.
There is a single change of WDC position change, which is Valteri Bottas who'd been 3rd last year instead of 5th.
Finally Alonso took 2 fastest laps with the Honda across 16/17, just an oddity nothing to do with the FL point.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago I ran the numbers on the previous 3 seasons with the new fastest lap extra point.

4 points out of 62 are lost due to non points finishing position of the fastest lapper.
There is a single change of WDC position change, which is Valteri Bottas who'd been 3rd last year instead of 5th.
Finally Alonso took 2 fastest laps with the Honda across 16/17, just an oddity nothing to do with the FL point.
Thanks for doing that. So, really, this FL point makes no significant difference over a whole season. Although I wonder if it means they'll push a little harder for that 1 point.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago
Michkov wrote: 5 years ago I ran the numbers on the previous 3 seasons with the new fastest lap extra point.

Thanks for doing that. So, really, this FL point makes no significant difference over a whole season. Although I wonder if it means they'll push a little harder for that 1 point.
It is going to be mighty difficult for a guy in the points to stop and fit soft rubber and remain in the points to actually score the bonus point. I dont see it making much difference at all to the pointy end. They will either already have the fastest lap, and certainly wont risk position points for the bonus. In fact it is more likely to be used by lower positions to spoil the points winners getting a bonus point. Of course it will still be classed as a FL in the stats regardless of it being a point scoring FL. Alonso did it purely to snag another FL for his stats.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago

It is going to be mighty difficult for a guy in the points to stop and fit soft rubber and remain in the points to actually score the bonus point. I dont see it making much difference at all to the pointy end. They will either already have the fastest lap, and certainly wont risk position points for the bonus. In fact it is more likely to be used by lower positions to spoil the points winners getting a bonus point. Of course it will still be classed as a FL in the stats regardless of it being a point scoring FL. Alonso did it purely to snag another FL for his stats.
The sensible strategy I guess is to turn everything up after your first/last stop on fresh tyres and immediately do one hotlap and hope it sticks.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago

The sensible strategy I guess is to turn everything up after your first/last stop on fresh tyres and immediately do one hotlap and hope it sticks.
But then you run the tyres outside the temperature window, which will lead to graining and stuff like that.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

The the top times were usually set by the top 3 teams. My guess is if the gaps are as big as last season we are going to see the isolated top 6 drivers going for the extra point towards the race when they can afford a pitstop, since the point goes towards the WCC too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

The "Lewis Hamilton" of Racing Pigeons sells for $2 Million!

The new look Lewis Hamilton. It made our National (Channel 9) News!
The ‘Lewis Hamilton of pigeons’ has been sold for a world record €1.25 million ($2 million).

Armando was described as the “best Belgian long-distance pigeon of all time” by auctioneers Pipa, reports the BBC.

His feats in pigeon racing have also been compared with Formula 1 ace Lewis Hamilton.

Before his sale in Belgium on Sunday, the record price for a pigeon was $600,000.

But fierce bidding for Armando between two Chinese buyers saw the sale price reach $2 million in an hour.

Armando – who is aged four – is now enjoying his retirement and has already fathered chicks.
https://pickle.nine.com.au/2019/03/19/1 ... cord-price

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Yeah, but how good is he compared to the pigeons of the 1960's, 70's and 80's?
You can't just go around comparing pigeons from different eras willy nilly. It's not even the same sport anymore. I mean, in the Vietnamese pigeon racing series during the 1970's they had to dodge SAMs and fighter jets. Armando, not taking anything away from him, don't have to focus on anything except the odd drone.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

@John Plus he probably has all sorts of modern flyer aids like Sat Nav and Autopilot.

As for Drones Amando would have the latest DRS system for sure to cope with them (Drone Removal System) :wink:

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

When I saw the headline of "Lewis Hamilton of Pigeons" I expected to see a picture of a bird with a dodgy weave
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

kals wrote: 5 years ago When I saw the headline of "Lewis Hamilton of Pigeons" I expected to see a picture of a bird with a dodgy weave
I thought at least a few piercings, and maybe a tattoo on the neck. :wink:

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Honda has stated it wants to return to winning ways with Red Bull by the summer break.

I always applaud ambition :thumbsup:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago Honda has stated it wants to return to winning ways with Red Bull by the summer break.

I always applaud ambition :thumbsup:
When did it last win with Red Bull?
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I think you know what I mean, lol.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Average age of F1 drivers though the decades.

2019 27 years and 63 days
2009 27 years and 356 days
1999 29 years and 10 days
1989 30 years and 85 days
1979 30 years and 232 days
1969 32 years and 351 days
1959 32 years and 143 days
1950 39 years and 117 days
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."