F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

White six wrote: 3 years ago At which F1 circuit can you best compare lap times across the years? Suzuka? Has that changed the least?
Problem is Suzuka has only been in F1 since 1987 with a period in the 2000s where Fuji jumped in for a while. I'd compare speeds across whole seasons, to get rid of the inherent variability in weather and circuit shape. Lucky for you I have that in graphical form in hand. :D

Figure 1: Season average race speed for F1/Grand Prix, as well as Indy 500 (Qualy and Race) and Le Mans 24h. X-axis in years, Y-axis in kph
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

@Michkov Thanks for that graphic.Very interesting.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I'm actually kind of shocked that F1 is the slowest. Not surprized that Indy is the fastest (since it's mostly ovals), but that F1 is slower than LeMans cars. (Or is this only the 24 hours and not the entire season?)
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago I'm actually kind of shocked that F1 is the slowest. Not surprized that Indy is the fastest (since it's mostly ovals), but that F1 is slower than LeMans cars. (Or is this only the 24 hours and not the entire season?)
Even with the chicanes CDLS is faster than 80% of F1 circuits

I guess it's more a demonstration of how compromised by safety F1 tracks are these days. Oh for the Oesterreichring
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Michkov wrote: 3 years ago
White six wrote: 3 years ago At which F1 circuit can you best compare lap times across the years? Suzuka? Has that changed the least?
Problem is Suzuka has only been in F1 since 1987 with a period in the 2000s where Fuji jumped in for a while. I'd compare speeds across whole seasons, to get rid of the inherent variability in weather and circuit shape. Lucky for you I have that in graphical form in hand. :D

Figure 1: Season average race speed for F1/Grand Prix, as well as Indy 500 (Qualy and Race) and Le Mans 24h. X-axis in years, Y-axis in kph
It tells you very little as it includes changes in the circuits, which is what I specifically wanted to avoid. Suzuka pole time has improved by 13 seconds from 1987 to 2019 I note. And 1987 is famous for the big powerful turbos. That's a big leap.
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Williams is to unveil its new livery tomorrow.

fingers crossed

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Give it up. It'll never happen. Frank and Red don't go.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Er, isn't Winfield a tobacco product? I thought they were banned!?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago Er, isn't Winfield a tobacco product? I thought they were banned!?
They are, and they were, so it's not going to happen.

Anyway, Imola is working towards a GP as well to create an Italian triple-header alongside Monza and Mugello.

At this point, I think European races will have to make up the bulk of the season, so I don't see why not. With the Variante Bassa chicane removed it might actually provide a place to overtake.

I hope they squeeze Portimao in there somewhere as well.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago Er, isn't Winfield a tobacco product? I thought they were banned!?
Antonov has a new fetish. HHF.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago
Antonov has a new fetish. HHF.
Now THERE'S an acronym I haven't seen in a while..
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago I'm actually kind of shocked that F1 is the slowest. Not surprized that Indy is the fastest (since it's mostly ovals), but that F1 is slower than LeMans cars. (Or is this only the 24 hours and not the entire season?)
That is an artefact of LM and Indy being single races, which are fast tracks, I also hadn't found a good source for Indycar/CART/USAC/CART to derive an average from. While F1 takes every championship round and averages them. So each year includes Monaco and Monza for example with the slow tracks bringing the average down. If you notice the last GP season before WW1 is considerably faster than the previous ones which is due to my source listing only American oval races for that year, hence the jump in speed. For a better comparison between sportscars, see the Can Am I and II averages. CAI is pretty much as unfeathered as sports cars get they hold their own against the F1s of the era, CAII are faired F5000 cars and it shows in the speeds.

White six wrote: 3 years ago

It tells you very little as it includes changes in the circuits, which is what I specifically wanted to avoid. Suzuka pole time has improved by 13 seconds from 1987 to 2019 I note. And 1987 is famous for the big powerful turbos. That's a big leap.
Moncao ,Silverstone, Monza, Silvestone (post Scheckter), Imola, Suzuka, Interlagos will be your best bet there is non that covers the 70 years. Consult [url=https://www.statsf1.com/en/circuits.aspx]StatsF1[url] for further explorations on the topic.

I disagree, laptime is not a normalized measure, average laptime speed is. Making it easier to compare cars across different circuits and years. That is without knowing what you trying to achieve with the comparison, so for general comparison I still go for average speed rather than outright laptime.
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

This is misleading. Remember the year F1 and Indcar both race at Montreal - even the Minardi's were quicker than the leading Indycar. Of course speed is only relative as per what the regulations allow.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I like it. Don't get why people thought that the ROKIT livery was nice. This is so much cleaner.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 years ago I like it. Don't get why people thought that the ROKIT livery was nice. This is so much cleaner.
:agreepost:

Be nice if it had a few more stickers on it, if only to indicate some income but it looks good.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always