Rate the 2019 Australian GP! viewtopic.php?f=17&p=357099

F1 2019 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Re: F1 2019 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Post by kals » 6 days ago

Last post from previous page:

John wrote:
6 days ago
'Straya 2013, or pretty much six years ago, was the last time that Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull didn't win a race.
And the race before that was the last time McLaren won.

Michkov
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Michkov » 5 days ago

I ran the numbers on the previous 3 seasons with the new fastest lap extra point.

4 points out of 62 are lost due to non points finishing position of the fastest lapper.
There is a single change of WDC position change, which is Valteri Bottas who'd been 3rd last year instead of 5th.
Finally Alonso took 2 fastest laps with the Honda across 16/17, just an oddity nothing to do with the FL point.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 4 days ago

Michkov wrote:
5 days ago
I ran the numbers on the previous 3 seasons with the new fastest lap extra point.

4 points out of 62 are lost due to non points finishing position of the fastest lapper.
There is a single change of WDC position change, which is Valteri Bottas who'd been 3rd last year instead of 5th.
Finally Alonso took 2 fastest laps with the Honda across 16/17, just an oddity nothing to do with the FL point.
Thanks for doing that. So, really, this FL point makes no significant difference over a whole season. Although I wonder if it means they'll push a little harder for that 1 point.
Racing is living and everything that happens in between is just waiting.

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 days ago

PTRACER wrote:
4 days ago
Michkov wrote:
5 days ago

Thanks for doing that. So, really, this FL point makes no significant difference over a whole season. Although I wonder if it means they'll push a little harder for that 1 point.
It is going to be mighty difficult for a guy in the points to stop and fit soft rubber and remain in the points to actually score the bonus point. I dont see it making much difference at all to the pointy end. They will either already have the fastest lap, and certainly wont risk position points for the bonus. In fact it is more likely to be used by lower positions to spoil the points winners getting a bonus point. Of course it will still be classed as a FL in the stats regardless of it being a point scoring FL. Alonso did it purely to snag another FL for his stats.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by PTRACER » 4 days ago

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
4 days ago
PTRACER wrote:
4 days ago
Michkov wrote:
5 days ago

It is going to be mighty difficult for a guy in the points to stop and fit soft rubber and remain in the points to actually score the bonus point. I dont see it making much difference at all to the pointy end. They will either already have the fastest lap, and certainly wont risk position points for the bonus. In fact it is more likely to be used by lower positions to spoil the points winners getting a bonus point. Of course it will still be classed as a FL in the stats regardless of it being a point scoring FL. Alonso did it purely to snag another FL for his stats.
The sensible strategy I guess is to turn everything up after your first/last stop on fresh tyres and immediately do one hotlap and hope it sticks.
Racing is living and everything that happens in between is just waiting.

John
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09

Post by John » 4 days ago

PTRACER wrote:
4 days ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote:
4 days ago
PTRACER wrote:
4 days ago
Michkov wrote:
5 days ago

The sensible strategy I guess is to turn everything up after your first/last stop on fresh tyres and immediately do one hotlap and hope it sticks.
But then you run the tyres outside the temperature window, which will lead to graining and stuff like that.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

This space available for rent. Inquire within.

Michkov
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Michkov » 3 days ago

The the top times were usually set by the top 3 teams. My guess is if the gaps are as big as last season we are going to see the isolated top 6 drivers going for the extra point towards the race when they can afford a pitstop, since the point goes towards the WCC too.