Monza Set To Make Circuit Changes Worth €100 Million To Save F1 Future

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

The Autodromo Nazionale Monza could be set to make changes in the near future as it approaches its 100th anniversary in 2022, estimating at a cost of around €100 million.

The legendary Italian circuit, nicknamed the ‘Temple of Speed’ has been home to the Italian Grand Prix in Formula 1 throughout its history from the original banking layout to the high speed circuit that is used today.

According to a report from Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport, changes are set to be made surrounding the layout of the circuit, removing one of the two chicanes. Plans also indicated that they’ll re-introduce the second corner of the Lesmos to reinforce its nickname as one of the fastest tracks in the world.

Additional grandstands have been planned as well to mark the 100th anniversary as they hope to seek a new deal with F1’s owners Liberty Media to keep the Italian Grand Prix at Monza for the foreseeable future as their contract is set to expire before the turn of the decade.

Angelo Sticchi Damiani, The president of ACI says the circuit is hoping to find funding in which they can improve the track facilities as well as adding ring roads outside of the circuit.

“The money will be found in some way”, said Sticchi Damiani.

“This is a work that we can already do in 2019. We want to recover the ring in order to expand our offer. The road and the high-speed ring are a 10 km track, how many others can boast something similar? We can also think of a temporary structure that can be installed before the GP.”

Most Grands Prix venues are operated by government funding, which can often help a circuit improve their facilities and host multiple disciplines of Motorsport. Sticchi Damiani admits that seeking government funding could be a roadblock to his scheme with Monza.

“The positions are still very far away from the areas we would like to manage and we have not yet talked about figures.”

Monza is under contract to host the Italian Grand Prix for the 2019 Formula 1 Season. Lewis Hamilton clinched victory ahead of Scuderia Ferrari‘s Kimi Räikkönen in the 2018 edition of the Grand Prix.
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018 ... f1-future/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

This report is a bit fractured. They are planning to remove a chicane, but add a corner at the Lesmos? Then they start mentioning the high speed ring as a tease for bringing back the banking?

Something tells me this is speculation to gauge investor interest in the Monza track. They seem like they are trying to find someone to fund it with wild ideas that will never come to fruition.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

XcraigX wrote: 5 years ago This report is a bit fractured. They are planning to remove a chicane, but add a corner at the Lesmos? Then they start mentioning the high speed ring as a tease for bringing back the banking?

Something tells me this is speculation to gauge investor interest in the Monza track. They seem like they are trying to find someone to fund it with wild ideas that will never come to fruition.
I think there were renders before about bypassing the first chicane, and have a chicane somewhere in the middle of Curva Grande instead.

the lesbos used to be taken at nearly full speed. they changed that following the '94 fatal crashes, and instead came 2 rather tight corners. from the article, it would seem they'd open up the radius of the 2nd Lesmo, enabling it to be taken at (nearly) full speed again.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Antonov wrote: 5 years agothe lesbos used to be taken at nearly full speed.
I'm sure they were... :sly:
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Through all the sims I've driven the old Monza layout on, Lesmo 1 and 2 have always been a 3rd or 4th gear corner. When was it taken nearly flat out in 5th/6th?

I'd love to see one of the chicanes moved. As long as they don't mess with the Curva Grande. If they're going to off a chicane, the second one would be the one to go for.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

John wrote: 5 years ago Through all the sims I've driven the old Monza layout on, Lesmo 1 and 2 have always been a 3rd or 4th gear corner. When was it taken nearly flat out in 5th/6th?
up until 1993.

try rfactor, 1988 mod and trackpack.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago
John wrote: 5 years ago Through all the sims I've driven the old Monza layout on, Lesmo 1 and 2 have always been a 3rd or 4th gear corner. When was it taken nearly flat out in 5th/6th?
up until 1993.

try rfactor, 1988 mod and trackpack.
No. :haha:

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

They used to be faster but never flat out, compared to the other corners on the track they were mid speed corners. The road was moved back in 95 to provide for more runoffs and save more trees then just extending the gravel traps outward.

This was the latest proposed modification to Monza I'm aware off. Should be a year old or so IIRC.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Granted, Monza only has two high-speed corners. The majority of corners at the Temple of Speed are slow chicanes. ;)

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

SB83 wrote: 5 years ago
:haha: :haha: taken very hard.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Pooling what I found in the slightly edited press release across various outlets, it seems the plan is to get rid of Variante della Roggia make Lesmo 2 fast again and renovate the Oval plus infrastructure updates across the paddock and grandstands. I can see Lesmo 2 being modified the other two need major works done at Lesmo 1 and across the whole track for the oval.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

When they actually want to use the oval, i can see the two chicanes in front of the banking being reinstated. But i can't imagine that they want to use the banking for F1.

Is this the answer because of the different wheel size?
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago
SB83 wrote: 5 years ago
:haha: :haha: taken very hard.
Yes, and John Watson took a heavy hit in the rear on live tv there. Fluid and stuff clearly visible.
Everyone in the pits was shocked when seeing it on tv, but were relieved to see Watson being only shaken when he came again in the garage.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I'm more worried about the width of the front straight in the 10k configuration. They moved the pitwall during the last renovation so the front stretch is only 1 1/2 the width instead of the original double.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

and that is your 666th post...