Rate the 2018 F1 Season Overall

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the 2018 F1 Season

10 - Hands down, one of the BEST - if not THE BEST F1 season!
No votes
9 - Nearly perfect season, going down in the history books
No votes
8 - Not perfect, but up there with the best
No votes
7 - A few negatives, but one of the better seasons we've had recently
14%
6 - I've seen better, but slightly more good to outweigh the bad
29%
5 - Average as far as F1 championships go
21%
4 - A little less exciting than I was expecting, but still alright
14%
3 - Enjoyed a few races, but on the whole it wasn't so interesting
21%
2 - Predictable and mostly dull, with very few positives
No votes
1 - One of the - if not THE - least eventful and predictable season ever.
No votes

Total votes: 14

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

kals wrote: 5 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago
John wrote: 5 years ago 6, the mid-field racing was great, and maybe Ferrari would have brought the fight all the way do the final few rounds if they hadn't had their by now usual mid-season meltdown.
Coverage of midfield battles raises the rating a lot higher, without decent coverage I wouldn't be surprised if ALL races got 2 or 3/10.

(Go back 25 years and no one would give too hoots about watching the Minardi of Pierluigi Martini in a side-by-side battle with the Footwork of Gianni Morbidelli and the Sauber of Jean-Christophe Boullion. Only the top 6 would get any airtime.)
Back in 1996 or 1997 when Bernie launched his original digital TV service, there was a channel dedicated to the midfield for the reason you mention.
Really? Did we have access to that in the UK? I remember when the Interactive F1 channel came out in 2002 and we could finally watch all sessions live and change camera angles with the red button.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years agoReally? Did we have access to that in the UK? I remember when the Interactive F1 channel came out in 2002 and we could finally watch all sessions live and change camera angles with the red button.
Back when it was launched it was only available for in a few countries and UK was not one. At the end of the 1997 official season review there is a feature about the (then) new digital TV service and each of the channels.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Was it not mainly in Germany, certainly initially? Also other Euro markets tagged along. I think it was called F1 Digital Plus.

Edit: There is a section on it here.... half way down the page. https://f1broadcasting.co/category/f1-digital/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Apart from some highlight races the rest were mostly slowdowns fest. Overall it’s been the consecration of hamilton as one of the best ever. Ferrari offered some competition but the death of marchionne resulted in a organizational mess
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

The problem with 2018 races is that I can't really remember a single race very well - they just don't stick. They're just not memorable. We know what happened in a number of races we had in the 90s and early 2000s on the palms of our hand. From 2010 onwards, I can realistically only remember a couple - Canada 2011 and Abu Dhabi 2012 and Bahrain 2014 (Nico/Lewis battle). Italy this year was good but it doesn't give me the same vibe that Spa 2000 gives me for example
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

3/10 here.

A rather poorish rating not altogether in line with some of the individual race score ratings that I've put up but perhaps this season review score is more a reflection of my disappointment than anything. Each year, that grows. There will come a point where F1 just isn't worth my support.
Miles to go B4 I sleep
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

And when will that be? 2/10? 1/10?
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

I gave it 3/10. Maybe that's unkind and it should have been 4.

But as much as I got interested in F1 more last year due to the new regs and this forum, sadly, this year just fizzled. But last year itself was also crap.

Next year will be more Merc dominance. More gimmicky shit. More poor driver behaviour. More devolution of track rules. More SCs and VSCs for nothing incidents. More deferrals of racing (or calling SCs) for rain.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Picci wrote: 5 years ago The problem with 2018 races is that I can't really remember a single race very well - they just don't stick. They're just not memorable. We know what happened in a number of races we had in the 90s and early 2000s on the palms of our hand. From 2010 onwards, I can realistically only remember a couple - Canada 2011 and Abu Dhabi 2012 and Bahrain 2014 (Nico/Lewis battle). Italy this year was good but it doesn't give me the same vibe that Spa 2000 gives me for example
Maybe there are just too many Grand Prix now, on circuits that all look the same, so it’s hard to remember?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago
Maybe there are just too many Grand Prix now, on circuits that all look the same, so it’s hard to remember?
I thought it was just my memory fading, but the number of events and the similarities of track are a good point.
I think relevant in my case is that due to the availability of stuff now I dont follow individual races so obsessively (maybe that is less interest nowadays?)

I used to, in the days of VCRs...(Im talking from the early 80's on), I used to tape every race or whatever highlights package was shown, and then without fail watch every race replayed from tape player more than once. Nowadays I still record races but to be honest cant remember the last one I watched in replay, and I generally delete them, knowing they will either get replayed on Foxtel, or I can watch something specific on the tube or a torrent. If I do that it is usually for something not recent! :wink:

I think another problem is that there is so much alternative media now, in terms of hundreds of TV channels. There is likely always something to watch of interest.In the days of FTA choice of programme was limited and so watching a race again was a viable option

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

It's also probably true that as the years go by and we all watch more grand prix, each one will inevitably leave less of an impact. In the late nineties I was watching my tenth and twentieth races. Now I'm up to maybe 300+. It's going to be much harder for a race to stand out from such a large group.

Just like birthdays really. I remember my tenth better than I remember my last.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Circuitmaster wrote: 5 years ago It's also probably true that as the years go by and we all watch more grand prix, each one will inevitably leave less of an impact. In the late nineties I was watching my tenth and twentieth races. Now I'm up to maybe 300+. It's going to be much harder for a race to stand out from such a large group.

:agreepost:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago
Circuitmaster wrote: 5 years ago It's also probably true that as the years go by and we all watch more grand prix, each one will inevitably leave less of an impact. In the late nineties I was watching my tenth and twentieth races. Now I'm up to maybe 300+. It's going to be much harder for a race to stand out from such a large group.

:agreepost:
Totally agree.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

The 2016 Spanish GP won't be a race many will remember. For me it will always be remembered. As it was the first time ever that a Dutch driver won a Formula 1 GP.
I think for some British fans the first win of Jenson Button will be remembered, or for some German fans the first victory of Michael Schumacher.

I have seen over 300 GP's now. It will be difficult for any GP to stand out.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Well of course, the more GPs we watch the more likelihood that race memories will be diluted by volume. We all remember races for good and bad reasons.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

WTF1 rated and ranked all the races - https://wtf1.com/post/ranked-all-21-rac ... medium=rss

Lots of similarities between our list, although the big change is their number 1 rating was middle of pack to us.