F1 2019 Pre-Season / Testing Thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago I take it that means something to do with moving to 18inch wheels for F1 in the future.

Edit.... google translation tells me yes to above, from 2021, with testing of the concept starting next July. (Presume next July means 2020.... if they ment 2018 they would say this July in my world. :dunno:
Using the auto-translate feature on Twitter:
Pirelli controversial 18 inch tyre e28093 test from July
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

So this year, cars will have wider front wings, higher rear wings and far less winglets. Aren’t we just going through 2007-2009 all over again?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Possibly. Yet the early images of teams testing 2019 concepts on 2018 have been underwhelming, then there's the fact that Red Bull has stated that they've spent something like $15m on the new aero rules and already recovered all of the lost downforce.

I wish it would be like moving from 2008-2009 when there was a complete change in the look of the cars, a shift in performance and a changing of the guard at the front of the field. But that isn't going to happen.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

kals wrote: 5 years ago
I wish it would be like moving from 2008-2009 when there was a complete change in the look of the cars, a shift in performance and a changing of the guard at the front of the field. But that isn't going to happen.
the 2009 - 2016 cars looked bad. snowplough front and lawnmower back. didn't like them one bit.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago
the 2009 - 2016 cars looked bad. snowplough front and lawnmower back. didn't like them one bit.
Says the person obsessed with Detroit :tongue:
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

that's pathetic.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago that's pathetic.
Glad you finally agree that loving Detroit is pathetic.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago So this year, cars will have wider front wings, higher rear wings and far less winglets. Aren’t we just going through 2007-2009 all over again?
I feel like this knee jerk reaction to a problem that isn't really as big as people make it out to be. Good thing is that it's only for two years until the 2021 regs come in and "fix" whatever ails F1. This is the same thing they have been doing since 1983 and it only gotten worse everytime they fix something, the unintended consequences reveal another fault line in the regs. I hope for the 2021 regs they look at the technical regs in full instead of a single section of the car.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

The fault in the regs is that the teams have a say (per the current Concorde agreement) which means the 2021 regs will not be the massive upheaval everyone wants or expects.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago So this year, cars will have wider front wings, higher rear wings and far less winglets. Aren’t we just going through 2007-2009 all over again?
I feel like this knee jerk reaction to a problem that isn't really as big as people make it out to be. Good thing is that it's only for two years until the 2021 regs come in and "fix" whatever ails F1. This is the same thing they have been doing since 1983 and it only gotten worse everytime they fix something, the unintended consequences reveal another fault line in the regs. I hope for the 2021 regs they look at the technical regs in full instead of a single section of the car.
We say that every time. "Let's hope the new ____ fixes these problems". You wait a few years for the change and F1 gets worse. In 1997, F1 was doing absolutely fine and then they completely changed the cars. It wasn't a problem for me because 1998-2000 were some of my all-time favourite moments of the sport, but then they made changes again for 2001. And again in 2003, and then again every year for the rest of the 2000s. And now we're in an endless cycle of trying to 'fix' the damage caused by the repeated and unnecessary rule changes.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

There is a rumour going round that Fernando Alonso is going to do a half day of testing at Catalunya for McLaren to give them some development tips. Unclear if it will be 1st or 2nd week. Nothing confirmed at this stage, more it might.... although Zak Brown has said that Fernando is welcome to attend Grands Prix in McLaren colours and even test the car.
https://www.gpguide.com/News.aspx?artic ... JjZWxvbmE=

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years agoWe say that every time. "Let's hope the new ____ fixes these problems". You wait a few years for the change and F1 gets worse. In 1997, F1 was doing absolutely fine and then they completely changed the cars. It wasn't a problem for me because 1998-2000 were some of my all-time favourite moments of the sport, but then they made changes again for 2001. And again in 2003, and then again every year for the rest of the 2000s. And now we're in an endless cycle of trying to 'fix' the damage caused by the repeated and unnecessary rule changes.
Constant tweaks aren’t new sadly, they are frustrating. What were the changes for 2001?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years agoWe say that every time. "Let's hope the new ____ fixes these problems". You wait a few years for the change and F1 gets worse. In 1997, F1 was doing absolutely fine and then they completely changed the cars. It wasn't a problem for me because 1998-2000 were some of my all-time favourite moments of the sport, but then they made changes again for 2001. And again in 2003, and then again every year for the rest of the 2000s. And now we're in an endless cycle of trying to 'fix' the damage caused by the repeated and unnecessary rule changes.
Constant tweaks aren’t new sadly, they are frustrating. What were the changes for 2001?
The (re)introduction of traction control, launch control and fully automatic gearboxes. At the time, we were all complaining that the drivers weren't actually driving their cars anymore. And launch control was a massive joke since it failed someone at almost every race and cars kept stalling on the grid. 4 of them got stranded at the A1-Ring race IIRC.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

it also robbed DC of an almost certain win at Monaco that year (2001)
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago
The (re)introduction of traction control, launch control and fully automatic gearboxes. At the time, we were all complaining that the drivers weren't actually driving their cars anymore. And launch control was a massive joke since it failed someone at almost every race and cars kept stalling on the grid. 4 of them got stranded at the A1-Ring race IIRC.

I remember it well now and some of farces from when the aids were reintroduced. Spain a few cars failed to get off the grid and Ron Dennis publicly chastised DC for an issue which wasn’t the driver’s making, then I think in Austria around 25% of the grid failed to move off the line.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Imagine the McLaren is promising, could we see a repeat of 1993? - where Senna basically sidelined Mika from the scheduled line-up due because the McLaren turned out much better than he feared.
This time of course with Alonso sidelining, I would imagine, Norris.
Last edited by Antonov 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.