2019 - Russell Vs Norris

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Who will have the more impressive debut season?

Poll ended at 4 years ago

Russell
100%
Norris
No votes

Total votes: 6

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

2019 - Russell Vs Norris

Post by DoubleFart »

As per the title. I think it's worthwhile that we put some opinions out there.

I'm backing Russell to take a top 10 and look solid if not spectacular.

Norris will be put in his place by Sainz.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I dunno. I've heard and read lots of stuff for many years about how great Norris is. Russell seems to have emerged quite quietly over the past couple of years.

Norris already appears to have an anti-following. What's that about?
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Norris has suffered from the silver spoon syndrome and quite frankly underperformed this season in F2.

I'll say Russell will do better in F1 even though Norris will probably have a more demanding teammate in his rookie season.
kals wrote: 5 years ago I dunno. I've heard and read lots of stuff for many years about how great Norris is. Russell seems to have emerged quite quietly over the past couple of years.

Norris already appears to have an anti-following. What's that about?
Reminds me of the Hamilton hype who was touted as future F1 star even before he turned a wheel in GP2. And Lewis has his devoted band of critics some 4-make-it-5 WDC titles later. People tend to choke on that silver spoon time and time again ;) Russell kinda flew under the radar, I wasn't all that convinced even last season when Rowland was getting all the hype. And now Rowland is the forgotten man alltogether!
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I don't remember Oliver Rowland getting the same hype as either Russell or Norris. And as for Lewis Hamilton, he was being hyped up while in karts in the 90s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I have already posted my thoughts elsewhere in the forum..... I am backing George for the #2 Brit accolade in 2019.
I was in the earlier days a great fan of Norris from when he came down under to do the Toyota series, but I was not impressed by his F2 campaign. Russell appears to be a quiet achiever. I only hope he has sufficient experience to not make a bad start in F1, and I also hope Williams come up with a better car in 2019.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

kals wrote: 5 years ago I don't remember Oliver Rowland getting the same hype as either Russell or Norris. And as for Lewis Hamilton, he was being hyped up while in karts in the 90s
Because there is hype and HYPE :cool: I must admit I thought Rowland is a few years younger though. He proved to be a Jolyon Palmer copy minus the musical chairs timing.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Vassago wrote: 5 years ago
kals wrote: 5 years ago I don't remember Oliver Rowland getting the same hype as either Russell or Norris. And as for Lewis Hamilton, he was being hyped up while in karts in the 90s
Because there is hype and HYPE :cool: I must admit I thought Rowland is a few years younger though. He proved to be a Jolyon Palmer copy minus the musical chairs timing.
You’re wrong on two counts, Rowland is not akin to Palmer.

For one, because Rowland actually had a decent junior formula career and showed potential in all series he partook in and for two, because I didn’t dislike Rowland :tongue: :haha:
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Neither will shine because they'll both be driving shitboxes.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

kals wrote: 5 years ago

For one, because Rowland actually had a decent junior formula career and showed potential in all series he partook in and for two, because I didn’t dislike Rowland :tongue: :haha:
Yeah, let's just say the Pamer/Chilton graduates won't go down as the best British talent in F1 :haha:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Be fair. At least Palmer won something. He was worth handing enough rope to hang himself with. Chilton just needed to be taken to the back paddock from the outset.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 years agoBe fair. At least Palmer won something. He was worth handing enough rope to hang himself with. Chilton just needed to be taken to the back paddock from the outset.
Be fair? Palmer won GP2 in the very best equipment at his fourth attempt against a more talented rival who had a car engineered by a subpar team (and where Norris was placed this year). Because Palmer won he thought he was something more special than he was, and behaved with a significant entitlement complex.

Being fair, Palmer doesn’t deserve fair treatment.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 years agoBe fair. At least Palmer won something. He was worth handing enough rope to hang himself with. Chilton just needed to be taken to the back paddock from the outset.
Be fair? Palmer won GP2 in the very best equipment at his fourth attempt against a more talented rival who had a car engineered by a subpar team and where Norris was placed this year). Because Palmer won he thought he was something more special than he was, and behaved with a significant entitlement complex.

Being fair, Palmer doesn’t deserve fair treatment.
He earned a chance. He failed at it.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

F*ck Palmer
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

I have seen all f2 races, as it’s my favourite series atm. if you watched it too you will know it’s been a very strange season. The new engines were a nightmare at starts and pit stop restarts causing several retires that at a point they had to make rolling starts in order to avoid cars staying stuck on the grid at the starts. Russell, without being dominant, was consistant and benefitted the best car and showed gp3 is the best feeder for f2. Norris had a great start of the season but lost himself in bad performances. Tbh i can’t understand why he was picked by mclaren at such a green stage. Another f2 season would have helped his growth.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 years agoHe earned a chance.
And that's where we disagree. He had a chance but it was certainly not earned. Just because he achieved a GP2 title doesn't mean he earned anything. He bought it.
MonteCristo wrote: 5 years agoHe failed at it.
Indeed he did. Highly unsurprising. The chance would never have happened had Renault managed to annul the contract like they did with Maldonado and as they attempted to do with Palmer.