The recycled Singapore Sling GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

But think of the commentators, they would have nothing to talk about if you make the rules straight forward.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Circuitmaster wrote: 5 years ago I don't want the man in the lead to have an advantage.. that is not good for racing.

I'm not saying we should give the leader a disadvantage.. just make it even. I don't think that would make the racing any less 'legit'
The actual problem is that there are too many safety cars, which are often used to pack the drivers for the “show”
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Circuitmaster wrote: 5 years ago I may be the millionth person to say this, but does anybody else feel we need to revise the way the restarts work after a safety car period? Currently the guy in first has the massive advantage of not having to react to anything. The only way the guy in second will be able to have a go at the leader (provided there's no mismatch between the cars) is if he guesses exactly when he's going to gun it and preempts it.

I'm not saying that I want a grid start after sc periods, but perhaps they could do some sort of rolling start? Perhaps with some sort of (holds breath) vsc style limiter that shuts off simultaneously for everyone..?
This is an awesome idea actually and shouldn't be that hard to implement! They can just go 'green' when the race director says so and off they go. Makes loads of sense. I also agree that the lead driver shouldn't be the safety car. It's BS and frankly as others have said it gives the lead driver an unfair advantage.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Also, I was reading a few of the older posts, how Bottas is Haas-quality and how some drivers were poor etc. Honestly, this GP had nothing to do with racing. They just sat there conserving tyres for 61 laps and keeping a suitable gap so as not to get disturbed and ruin their tyres. There was nothing anyone could do to make an impression. Saying a driver was better than the other in this race is, in my view, nonsense. Bottas was just as good as Hamilton, or Vettel, or Kimi, or Grosjean etc.

So much is this the case, that the only action we saw was with the drivers at the back, who had pitted more than once and had enough tyre life to just go for it. It's not a coincidence at all.

I knew this race was going to be crap when they trundled around 11 seconds off the pace. But do you know when I realised this race is really really sh*t? When Ricciardo took the lead, he kept the gap at around 12 seconds for several laps, using hypersoft tyres that had gone through 31 laps. Was it because he was going fast? Not at all, but rather because Hamilton and all the others following were just plain cruising. At that point, I had given up on that race - completely.