The hedgehog goulash GP of Hungary

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Also, Bottas was way out in the marbles, which probably didn't help when trying to slow down (the Vettel incident).
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

SB83 wrote: 5 years ago Vettel had the corner really. In road racing (as opposed to ovals where more room is given) normally when you're that far ahead before the turn-in approaches, especially in cars like these with useless mirrors and sensitive appendages, the other guy normally concedes instead of staying in it. Anyway, atleast it was possible to overtake. I was beginning to get so frustrated watching the aero issues.
Whether Vettel had the corner or not, chopping directly in front of Bottas was exposing his Ferrari (and race) at an unnecessary risk.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

kals wrote: 5 years ago
SB83 wrote: 5 years ago Vettel had the corner really. In road racing (as opposed to ovals where more room is given) normally when you're that far ahead before the turn-in approaches, especially in cars like these with useless mirrors and sensitive appendages, the other guy normally concedes instead of staying in it. Anyway, atleast it was possible to overtake. I was beginning to get so frustrated watching the aero issues.
Whether Vettel had the corner or not, chopping directly in front of Bottas was exposing his Ferrari (and race) at an unnecessary risk.
can't say I saw anything unorthodox in Vettel's Bottas squeeze.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago
can't say I saw anything unorthodox in Vettel's Bottas squeeze.
Ermmm ok, and?
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Good result for Gasly in 6th. Hartley just missed points in 11th with the other STR.
A strong performance at this track just goes to show that it's probably the best chassis in Formula 1, it's just let down by the Honda engine.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

DoubleFart wrote: 5 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Good result for Gasly in 6th. Hartley just missed points in 11th with the other STR.
A strong performance at this track just goes to show that it's probably the best chassis in Formula 1, it's just let down by the Honda engine.
:agreepost:

Amazing to think that despite that lump holding him back, Gasly is only 4 points 10th place in the championship. Imagine what he could do with a proper power unit, maybe something like a Renault
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

-I see Bottas copped a 10 second and 2 demerit points penalty for the clash with Danny.... it makes no difference to his result as he had a big buffer to Gasly in 6th.

Amusingly he thought danny knew he had dodgy tyres and a damaged wing and therefore should not have tried the move. My thoughts are Bottas knew better the state of his car and should have not defended so aggressively.. As it was Danny gave Bottas a ton of space, and was 100% innocent.

https://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/bott ... tory.shtml

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
myownalias
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Daniel Ricciardo
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Fusion (3.0L V6)

Post by myownalias »

It's nice to see no talk of Bottas deliberately trying to take out Vettel or Ricciardo here on TFL.

My personal view is that it was a racing incident, with the caveat that Vettel should have allowed more space, there was zero need to chop across the front of Bottas like he did. Vettel got lucky, that could have easily have been a left rear puncture.

I think the Bottas punishment, for his collision with Danny Ric, was fair but ultimately meaningless with the huge gap to Gasly.

Ultimately, the race was kinda dull until the last few laps, Ricciardo did provide some entertainment with his comeback from his poor grid position and a bad start. Hamilton had it all under control in the lead with his wingman, Bottas slowing up the Ferrari's.
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownaliasFormula 1 Articles
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottas said he still had his nose inside Vettel, but seeing as that's all he had, he should have known to back off.

The penalty for hitting Riccardo seemed unnecessary though, I can see from a racing driver's perspective why you'd continue to push to the limit even with a broken car. Again, six of the above, and half a dozen of the other.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Like I said, he more than likely wasn't expecting Bottas to still have his nose in there by turn in?
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago Bottas said he still had his nose inside Vettel, but seeing as that's all he had, he should have known to back off.
Bottas went all in with his defense, he break on dirt and was clearly not making the corner. Vettel closed a bit but i’d say he did it right, even though he took a big risk. Bottas seemed extremely pissed off after the race, just as he was ordered to slow down ferraris for this race. Also ricciardo was pissed and said he did not expect bottas to hit hin so bad, after in most of the occasion bottas looks like being “soft like an ice cream”.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Silly stat #? .... Mercedes scored their 81st win in Hungary.... tieing them with Lotus in the overall tally.
(*Lotus tally of 81 includes the two wins for Kimi Raikkonen in the latter day Lotus team.)

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Silly stat #? .... Mercedes scored their 81st win in Hungary.... tieing them with Lotus in the overall tally.
(*Lotus tally of 81 includes the two wins for Kimi Raikkonen in the latter day Lotus team.)
Another silly stat is that Kimi achieved a 5th podium in a row, something that he's not done since his title winning season of 2007.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Silly stat #? .... Mercedes scored their 81st win in Hungary.... tieing them with Lotus in the overall tally.
Another silly stat is that Kimi achieved a 5th podium in a row, something that he's not done since his title winning season of 2007.
.... and it was his 99th in total (35% of all starts.)
5th most podiums in history, behind Michael (155), Lewis(126) Prost and Seb (both 106)
He started his first run of 5 consecutive podiums in 2002! (Done 5 consecutive 3 times and 7 once.)

No one in history has more 2nd and 3rd place podiums FWIW.
He has more podiums at different GPs than anyone. (26)

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years agoHe has more podiums at different GPs than anyone. (26)
This is an interesting stat.

By comparison Lewis Hamilton has more race wins at different circuits (26) than anyone else, however has won 23 of those at different GPs.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years agoKimi has more podiums at different GPs than anyone. (26)
This is an interesting stat.
To expand the stat...

# - GP-1st podium at GP-Qty at GP
1 Australia 2002 6
2 Europe 2002 3
3 France 2002 5
4 Japan 2002 5
5 Malaysia 2003 3
6 Brazil 2003 6
7 San Marino 2003 1
8 Austria 2003 3
9 Monaco 2003 4
10 Britain 2003 7
11 Hungary 2003 9
12 USA 2003 2
13 Belgium 2004 5
14 China 2004 6
15 Bahrain 2005 8
16 Spain 2005 5
17 Canada 2005 2
18 Turkey 2005 3
19 Germany 2006 4
20 Italy 2006 3
21 Abu Dhabi 2012 2
22 Singapore 2013 2
23 South Korea 2013 1
24 Russia 2016 2
25 Mexico 2017 1
26 Azerbaijan 2018 1