Germany 2019 was rated by F1.com as the best race of the 2010s. We know this is complete tosh.
So, let's resolve this like men. Rate the best *3* Grand Prix from the 2010s and let's see which comes out on top!
Link: http://the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/viewto ... 17&t=16452
LET'S AIM FOR 50 VOTES!

Williams.... Where to from here?

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Re: Williams.... Where to from here?

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 5 months ago

Latest post of the previous page:

Mercedes obviously have faith in their (Williams) survival.... they have just signed an engine deal to supply Williams until at least 2025. That is well into the new regs era. New rules planned for 2021 are aimed at making the grid more competitive. AFAIK a budget cap has already been agreed, while new technical rules to allow closer racing are being finalised before teams and the sport's bosses move on to agreeing a more equitable revenue split.
Toto Wolff wrote:"Williams is one of the iconic brands in F1," said Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.

"They have been through some tough times recently but that has only served to demonstrate their resilience and strength of character as they battle back to where they belong on the grid.

"I am certain that the outlook for independent teams is bright under the financial regulations that will be introduced from 2021 and we are delighted to continue our partnership with Williams into that new era of our sport."
Of course, that is still a couple of years away for Williams to benefit from that. In the short term they have to improve their car performance to earn some FIA/Liberty money

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 5 months ago

Vassago wrote:
5 months ago
I can only wonder how much Michael Latifi is willing to spend on his son's career but that would be way more than Orlen did for Kubica. Nothing like private money where you don't have to report to anyone over spending it. I wouldn't be surprised if M.Latifi became a full-time share-holder in Williams so his son occupies the seat for years to come (unless he takes it elsewhere but with so many manufacturer teams I don't think he will have another choice unless Haas suddenly goes belly up).

I mean Latifi "invested" 200m pounds to become a 10% shareholder with McLaren Group last year and Nicky boy didn't come close to sniffing a race seat there. This is taking pay driving into a whole new level.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44200260
One would have to be thinking the future for RK for next season is bleak in F1 terms. In financial terms, Latifi could easily outbid whatever Kubica can put on the table.

Re the 10% Latifi purchase of McLaren shares I do remember that Latifi Snr said it was purely a business opportunity and nothing to do with his son's aspirations.... of course what he said and what he thinks are two different matters.

Certainly the Stroll / Latifi ínvestments' are a whole new ballgame, although of course we have for several decades always had some very wealthy drivers buying their way in.... some talented, and others less so.

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 month ago

In the rookie thread @PTRACER said it was difficult to judge George Russell as the car was so bad.

And it looks like this season will be more of the same for Williams and George....

George has released a statement confirming the new 2020 Williams is just an evolution of last years crap. He says the car will be better.... but so will the others so Williams will stay at the back of the field.
Disappointing.
"We had to look at the basic structure of the car. There were aspects that were fundamentally wrong," he said.

"Something was wrong with the aero. The downforce was not constant and there were also times in 2018 when Lance and Sergey crashed out of nowhere.

"We had to start from scratch when it comes to the downforce but since then we've been on a good path," Russell added.

But despite the obvious flaws, he revealed that the 2020 car will be an "evolution" of last year's design.

"We committed to a strategy at the end of 2018 and it took time to rebuild the foundation of the car. We didn't see any progress in the wind tunnel for a long time but the trend is different now.

"We will definitely be better in 2020," Russell said.

However, he acknowledged that Williams is likely to remain at the back of the grid.

"I expect that we will fight the others more often, but realistically it will be another difficult season for us.

"McLaren took a big step from 2018 to 2019, and if we can do a similar step and Haas, Racing Point and Toro Rosso do not progress, we will be in a very strong position.

"If they all find a second, we'll stay where we are," Russell admitted.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/2020-wil ... ssell.html

Antonov
I have no idea what I'm talking about
I have no idea what I'm talking about
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov » 1 month ago

the only way is up.

Picci
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci » 1 month ago

To the point that Merc sees some potential in Williams - the truth is that despite their loss of prize money and Stroll backing, they remain financially sustainable to an extent. They’re not generating enough funding to launch a proper F1 campaign but at least they don’t appear to be in terrible financial shape at least for the moment - so if they can afford to keep Merc engines they will do so. They’ve also saved tonnes by getting rookies in so that should ease the pressure a bit.

Xstatic3000
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: McLaren MP4/6
Favourite Driver: Lando Norris
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi S5, BMW X1, Land Rover Disco

Post by Xstatic3000 » 3 weeks ago

It really comes down to leadership. They are going to have to make some incredibly hard choices - just as McLaren did over the past few years - if they are to have any hope of moving forward.

I’m most concerned about Russell - does he move up to a top team like LeClerc did with Ferrari? Or is he the next Wherlein or Vandoorne?

Picci
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci » 3 weeks ago

Xstatic3000 wrote:
3 weeks ago
It really comes down to leadership. They are going to have to make some incredibly hard choices - just as McLaren did over the past few years - if they are to have any hope of moving forward.

I’m most concerned about Russell - does he move up to a top team like LeClerc did with Ferrari? Or is he the next Wherlein or Vandoorne?
There are a lot of quality drivers out there right now so I think Russell will have to sit tight for a bit yet. Especially if Hulk and Alonso come back next year.