The "Let's say we're here for the race when it's really the topless women sunbathing" GP of Monaco

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Bottom post of the previous page:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... d-1042592/

No, Lewis. The Monaco GP worked fine for 68 years or so. It's not the track or the weekend rules that need changing. It's the bloody cars and tires! Messing with the GP format is like trying to treat an underlying medical condition with aspirin.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Amen to that.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

The ones who complain are the drivers who didn't win the race. They all know that the qualification is more important than anywhere else.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Agree with all of the above. If anything that should be considered for change with Monaco it is the race length. It isn’t equal to any other race, the shortest on the calendar by some distance. 160 miles is too short.

In fact the whole 200 miles or two hours format of F1 needs a rethink. But that’s an entirely different conversation.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 5 years ago In fact the whole 200 miles or two hours format of F1 needs a rethink. But that’s an entirely different conversation.
This a forum - what's stopping us from having it? :wink:
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

John wrote: 5 years ago
kals wrote: 5 years ago In fact the whole 200 miles or two hours format of F1 needs a rethink. But that’s an entirely different conversation.
And once again it appears you’ve volunteered yourself to start a new thread... :whistling:
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 5 years ago
And once again it appears you’ve volunteered yourself to start a new thread... :whistling:
I'm already spamming enough new threads with the race previews.... Don't want people to think I'm a bot!

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

the 2 hours is only done because it has to be within a time slot.
Race length... yeah, it is normally 305km +1 lap. Monaco is not going to reach that with only 78 laps. To get back to 305 km + 1 lap they should run 92 laps.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 5 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago Leclerc having a good race until his brake failure.
Anyone who ran behind Hartley didn't get to show a smidgen of their true race pace - he was a moving traffic jam. There was, what, five or six drivers doing the conga behind him? He basically got stuck there and remained planted the rest of the race. Him and a bunch of others. C'est Monaco.
C’est vrai

Earlier this week I rewatched the 1996 Monaco GP. There was virtually no overtaking throughout. In fact Hakkinen followed Salo nose to tail for virtually the entire distance. For the first at least quarter of the race Eddie Irvine was a mobile chicane. By lap 15 more than half the field was out of the race and Hill was ahead of Alesi by miles. Alesi had a similar advantage to Irvine.

Despite the lack of overtaking the race was and still is fascinating.
(moving our discussion over here seemed a tad more appropriate)

I'm not going to bitch about the lack of passing at Monaco, if you mess up your Q-run you're going to be doomed. It's the way the circuit is.

HOWEVER, I'm not against looking at perhaps changing the layout. Or maybe even making the race longer. Or both. I've no idea how such a layout change would work. Is it possible to go straight on at Mirabeau, or at Rascasse. Or maybe scrap the Nouvelle chicane (we got the Halo now, the cars are safe - right?)

Is this post blasphemy?

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

No. Why? Because Monaco organizers recently said they are considering a future circuit layout change.

http://www.grandprix.com/news/monaco-la ... eaked.html
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Re: race distance - ironically I believe this year’s race was really long - it ended around 4pm UK time so that’s 1:50 hrs. The fastest lap was I believe something in the region of 1:14s so that was much slower than Saturday. So I’m not sure going to the original race distance is feasible, although I’m not against it.

Re: changing track layout - I’m quite averse to this one. It’s one of the few tracks on the calendar which has remained pretty much the same through history and changing it risks devaluing it Monaco in terms of the prestige and no longer allows a direct comparison to the past. True they removed the barriers at the swimming pool chicane and San Devote is slightly easier but I’m all for putting those walls back!
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 years ago

It was only three laps, but who here thinks Mansell would have passed Senna even if he had 10 or 20 laps to do it?
And the cars were narrower back then too, weren't they? Look at Hartley holding up five or six drivers for 50 laps. Leclerc couldn't get by him at all. Well, until he went full Maldonaldo when his brakes failed.
No 1992 cars where had a maximum width of 2150mm, that was reduced to 2000mm next year and finally to 1800mm in 1998. Which was in place until last year when it went up to 2000mm. Current cars seem to be longer though as the early 1990s cars seem very square from looking at them.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Current cars are way too long.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

As long as they can get around the Station hairpin without a three point turn they are short enough.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Picci wrote: 5 years ago Re: changing track layout - I’m quite averse to this one. It’s one of the few tracks on the calendar which has remained pretty much the same through history and changing it risks devaluing it Monaco in terms of the prestige and no longer allows a direct comparison to the past.
+1
There is no need to alter the layout of the track. In fact the track has been altered several times. St. Devote, Nouveau Chicane, Tabac, the back straight changed when Piscine and Rascasse appeared. Both sections were eased a bit later. Anthony Noghes. Also the back straight was originally further from the harbour, close to the S/F straight.

Found this
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Bring back the Gasworks hairpin!

CEREAL IS A SOUP.