Page 4 of 8

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 14:10 pm
by Vassago

Latest post of the previous page:

erwin greven wrote:
2 years ago
it is choosing the best out of two evils. Or you want a lot of VSC's or drivers who go over the limit because of the massive amounts of run offs.
Tarmac run-offs are the worst. Ever since they ruined Parabolica and Pouhon I'll never change my mind on this.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 14:16 pm
by erwin greven
I choose the other.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 17:01 pm
by Everso Biggyballies
Vassago wrote:
2 years ago

Tarmac run-offs are the worst. Ever since they ruined Parabolica and Pouhon I'll never change my mind on this.
:agreepost:

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:27 am
by Vassago
erwin greven wrote:
2 years ago
I choose the other.
Then you should love Paul Ricard as perfect then! :whistling:

Vandoorne got a 5 secs. penalty for going the other side of the bollard at Catalunya, sigh... that's video game stuff :angry: And I lost track how many solutions they had to fix the chicane-cutting at various tracks when it's simply more profitable to go on the astro-turf instead of making an effort to make the corner, neither seems to work tbh.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:49 pm
by Everso Biggyballies
I was quite happy to see the high kerbing that they installed at Austria installed a couple of years ago. The drivers only ever crossed them once, learning very quickly that the cars did not like them. Sadly, drivers complained.... I think Health and Safety intervened and they were either removed, reprofiled or flattened. :annoyed: :roll:

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:55 pm
by MonteCristo
Everso Biggyballies wrote:
2 years ago
I was quite happy to see the high kerbing that they installed at Austria installed a couple of years ago. The drivers only ever crossed them once, learning very quickly that the cars did not like them. Sadly, drivers complained.... I think Health and Safety intervened and they were either removed, reprofiled or flattened. :annoyed: :roll:
Grosjean probably complained that a filling fell out.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 13:31 pm
by Antonov
MonteCristo wrote:
2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote:
2 years ago
I was quite happy to see the high kerbing that they installed at Austria installed a couple of years ago. The drivers only ever crossed them once, learning very quickly that the cars did not like them. Sadly, drivers complained.... I think Health and Safety intervened and they were either removed, reprofiled or flattened. :annoyed: :roll:
Grosjean probably complained that a filling fell out.
Grosjean - [james hunt] the man that crashes in every grand prix anyway. look at that idiot.[/james hunt]

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 13:31 pm
by erwin greven
Vassago wrote:
2 years ago
erwin greven wrote:
2 years ago
I choose the other.
Then you should love Paul Ricard as perfect then! :whistling:

Vandoorne got a 5 secs. penalty for going the other side of the bollard at Catalunya, sigh... that's video game stuff :angry: And I lost track how many solutions they had to fix the chicane-cutting at various tracks when it's simply more profitable to go on the astro-turf instead of making an effort to make the corner, neither seems to work tbh.
When you follow races in the ELMS, WEC, Creventic and Blancpain, you will notice the races are awesome! Next weekend in F1 is Monaco. No tarmac but guardrails. Watch how many VSC's you will see. :whistling:

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 13:51 pm
by Vassago
erwin greven wrote:
2 years ago
Vassago wrote:
2 years ago
erwin greven wrote:
2 years ago
I choose the other.
Then you should love Paul Ricard as perfect then! :whistling:

Vandoorne got a 5 secs. penalty for going the other side of the bollard at Catalunya, sigh... that's video game stuff :angry: And I lost track how many solutions they had to fix the chicane-cutting at various tracks when it's simply more profitable to go on the astro-turf instead of making an effort to make the corner, neither seems to work tbh.
When you follow races in the ELMS, WEC, Creventic and Blancpain, you will notice the races are awesome! Next weekend in F1 is Monaco. No tarmac but guardrails. Watch how many VSC's you will see. :whistling:
I'd take 5 VSC during Monaco GP over all that tarmac @ Paul Ricard any single day. I only wonder how much track limits will come into effect since F1 won't have to worry about any gravel or guardrails.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 14:08 pm
by kals
F1’s safety campaign is full of contractions. On one hand you have circuits with massive run offs (not to me til the adoption of the halo), then on the other hand F1 is attempting to have cars navigate a long bridge lined only with barriers.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:07 pm
by Everso Biggyballies
I cant see the Miami race actually happening, certainly not within the time scale for inclusion next year. As I mentioned previously, the decision that has been taken is still far from an agreement to go ahead. The agreement seems basically to move on to the next level internally.

The Mayor is now admitting that they are expecting a host of lawsuits against the event going ahead and agrees they will likely lose some. He is even admitting that in reality the residents are their (the local council) bosses.

From Autosport:
Miami braced for lawsuits over F1 race


Miami's Mayor Francis Suarez admits the city will likely face legal threats over the planned Formula 1 Grand Prix, but insists everything will be done to avoid disrupting local residents.
Miami is locked in contract talks with Formula 1 over hosting a street race in October next year.

But during the approval of that first step of the process by the City Commission earlier this month, commissioner Joe Carollo raised the likelihood of legal threats from locals before he gave his approval.

"I was around back in the heyday of the Miami Grand Prix, and we're going to have major activity that disrupts - either through noise or street closures - the lives of these thousands of residents," said Carollo.

"We're going to end up being sued and I'm going to tell you that they're probably going to win suits.

"As a family [the City Commission], we need to look at this.

"Having said that, I'm ready to move forward because this [step] is only authorising the administration to sit down, discuss and negotiate and come back to us for a final ruling."

In an exclusive interview with Autosport, Suarez acknowledged those concerns but said everything would be done to allay the fears of residents who will face disruption.

"The residents are our bosses," he said. "And we have to take into account their concerns.

"The two major homeowner associations in the area have already expressed some concerns, but also said that this may be good for us. I think that's a positive start.

"Often residents can start off in opposition, but the fact they're open to working with promoters and other stakeholders, for me that's a big positive.

"From what I've seen from the promoters, they are very conscientious that this is a race that does impact residents and businesses, and everything I've seen from them indicates that they're going to listen and work hard to make everybody happy."

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:45 pm
by John
I hope the race dies away rather than becoming a real thing.

I'd rather, even, see them go back to Indianapolis. There is a perfectly functioning Grade 1 circuit already. But I doubt we'll ever see F1 cars at the speedway again.

Or, hear me out - do a double header at Long Beach with Indycar. Or whatever. Anything rather than this.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 14:42 pm
by Everso Biggyballies
John wrote:
2 years ago
I hope the race dies away rather than becoming a real thing.

I'd rather, even, see them go back to Indianapolis. There is a perfectly functioning Grade 1 circuit already. But I doubt we'll ever see F1 cars at the speedway again.

Or, hear me out - do a double header at Long Beach with Indycar. Or whatever. Anything rather than this.
:agreepost:

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 14:47 pm
by kals
I really don't have a strong feeling about this race. I'm fine if the race goes ahead, I'm fine if it doesn't. However better this race than another desert based / oil rich / human rights violating country securing one. Oh wait, Miami is in America. Ignore that last part.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 17:26 pm
by myownalias
I just have the feeling it will turn into another New Jersey and ultimately be canned.

There are already so many iconic tracks in the US that could be upgraded to grade 1 standards, which would offer better racing and is there really a reason to have another southeast GP when we already have Austin, Mexico, and Brazil.

Re: Miami to host race from 2019?

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 17:47 pm
by DoubleFart
I hope it doesn't take place because I'm fed up with F1 targeting cities and forcing the local taxpayer to fund the circus.

I dread it coming to London, and hopefully the hypocrisy of racing in the ULEZ zone will prevent it ever happening.