Miami to host race from 2019?

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Two straights back to back is trademark tilke, nothing new about that. And to be fair, old Hockenheim had four back I back :D
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

For those who cannot access the Autosport site on freeview

The first images of the track layout for the Miami F1 race show that it will run around the city's port, and running through an area used previously by IMSA, Champ Car and Formula E.
Plans for the event, scheduled to start in October 2019, will be considered at a meeting of the city commission next Thursday.

The track passes around the American Airlines Arena, which is the home of the Miami Heat NBA team, and the pit and paddock area will be located adjacent to it.

From the start/finish, it runs down Biscayne Boulevard, before it loops around and returns on the same street. It then heads right towards a high-speed section along Port Boulevard, which crosses a bridge.

After a hairpin, it returns on NE 6th Street on the same bridge to a second hairpin, before a run along the waterfront around the arena, through a series of 90-degree turns, back to the start/finish line.

Some elements of the track resemble the original Miami street race layout, first employed by IMSA in 1983, and which also used Biscayne Boulevard and ran around the area where the arena now stands.

In 1986 local development meant that the IMSA event was later moved slightly north to a new venue at Bicentennial Park. It was also used in reverse direction for a ChampCar race in 1995, won by Jacques Villeneuve.

However, CART returned to the original location for two races held in 2002 and 2003, which had some elements in common with the IMSA track, and once again featured Biscayne Boulevard.

In 2015 racing returned when Formula E ran on a short 1.4-mile course that went around the arena, but then swung north.

The proposed F1 layout is the first to run across the water and back, although a similar idea was once discussed by Bernie Ecclestone and original Miami GP promoter Ralph Sanchez in the eighties.

It's clear that the hope is that the two long straights, both of which are followed by heavy braking areas, will contribute to some Baku-like action.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/miam ... t-1033626/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

That... that looks pretty damn out there. I don't know what to think. How long is it?

I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION RIGHT NOW.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Hmmmm... so then, safety?

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7798308 ... 312!8i6656

This is the bridge they would go over (twice). Where would the marshals be? How would car recovery work? Does any of this matter now they have the halo?
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Detroit would be better.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

:banghead: Dont feed the troll.

Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

John wrote: 5 years ago That... that looks pretty damn out there. I don't know what to think. How long is it?

I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION RIGHT NOW.
I'd say it's about 4km judging from a quick look on Google. Very rough, I may be way off
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

John wrote: 5 years ago That... that looks pretty damn out there. I don't know what to think. How long is it?
3.84km according to GoogleMaps. Bit on the short side but three hairpins may mitigate the lack of distance. EDIT make that a bit longer I went the wrong road at the stadium, I guess 4ks with the extra bit of road.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago Detroit would be better.
Hmmm, having been to Miami I'm not familiar with that part of the city.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 5 years ago Hmmmm... so then, safety?

This is the bridge they would go over (twice). Where would the marshals be? How would car recovery work? Does any of this matter now they have the halo?
After Baku, I think we can safely draw the conclusion that the time it takes to recover a car isn't exactly top priority. :whistling:

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

kals wrote: 5 years ago Hmmmm... so then, safety?

Just do it like Baku - have marshals take 10 minutes to do their work.

Get the Chinese A1GP flatbed driver on the scene, and it would only take 20 minutes to clear a broken down car.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Tom
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Tom »

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Plans for a Formula 1 grand prix in Miami should take a crucial step forward on Thursday with a city commission vote looking like a formality.

A resolution supporting the race, sponsored by Miami mayor Francis Suarez and three of the five city commissioners, will be considered during a day of regular city business.

The five commissioners will then vote on whether to proceed, and as three of them have indicated their support by sponsoring the resolution and only three votes are required, it looks likely to be passed without drama.

Video: Miami's great history of street circuits

The resolution allows city manager Emilio Gonzalez to proceed with F1 negotiations.

He has been asked to return with a 'host city contract', ready for further analysis by the city commission, before July 1.

One complication is the proposed use of the bridge to Dodge Island, which is the main route the city's port, although there is also a tunnel.

Along with other authorities the port director will have to agree to the restricted access.

Miami commissioner Ken Russell, whose waterfront District 1 includes the proposed circuit layout, was not one of those invited to sponsor the resolution but has indicated he will support the project.

"The city of Miami has a very exciting brand that we believe is on a par with F1," he told Autosport.

"We think fans of F1 would like to see a race here.

"Hopefully there's something we can work out together. We're optimistic, and Thursday will be the first step towards discussions.

"The port makes for a very exciting track, with the bridge. You're connecting two pieces of land with a pretty exciting vista so it's a good addition to the race.

"Logistically it also makes it easier to implement with regard to a pretty congested downtown."

Miami has already hosted IMSA, CART Indycar/Champ Car (pictured) and Formula E races on street tracks in the area proposed for F1.

Liberty has suggested Miami will not follow the traditional model of a promoter - in this case billionaire Stephen Ross - paying a substantial sanctioning fee.

A proposal document for the event notes that "following Miami guidance, an atypical commercial model is being developed to enable the race to take place".

Some sources have suggested that could involve some form of risk or revenue sharing joint venture between F1 and the promoter, or even be a 'free deal' similar to Monaco's long-standing arrangement.

F1 boss Chase Carey declined to give details but confirmed Miami's deal was likely to be different.

"We knew going into the US market you're going to have unique aspects to it," said Carey.

"That would be true with other agreements we have in other places. Everyone assumes that these deals are a one-note song, but realistically there are a lot of moving parts."

The proposed F1 track goes around NBA team Miami Heat's American Airlines Arena home.

The originally suggested June 2019 race date, paired with the Canadian GP, would have avoided the NBA season but an October slot has now been mooted.

In 2017 Miami Heat had eight home games in October.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Why am I not even remotely excited about this prospect?

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

It is supposed to be scheduled after the Canadian Grand Prix, the old slot of circuits like Phoenix (89) and dare I say, D***** (82-88).

You can have a peek at the circuit here:
https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/videos/1057 ... van-miami/

Isn't June usually wet in Miami? Or is that July?
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

The Scarface Grand Prix of Miami.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.