Miami to host race from 2019?

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Bottom post of the previous page:

erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago it is choosing the best out of two evils. Or you want a lot of VSC's or drivers who go over the limit because of the massive amounts of run offs.
Tarmac run-offs are the worst. Ever since they ruined Parabolica and Pouhon I'll never change my mind on this.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I choose the other.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Vassago wrote: 5 years ago
Tarmac run-offs are the worst. Ever since they ruined Parabolica and Pouhon I'll never change my mind on this.
:agreepost:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago I choose the other.
Then you should love Paul Ricard as perfect then! :whistling:

Vandoorne got a 5 secs. penalty for going the other side of the bollard at Catalunya, sigh... that's video game stuff :angry: And I lost track how many solutions they had to fix the chicane-cutting at various tracks when it's simply more profitable to go on the astro-turf instead of making an effort to make the corner, neither seems to work tbh.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I was quite happy to see the high kerbing that they installed at Austria installed a couple of years ago. The drivers only ever crossed them once, learning very quickly that the cars did not like them. Sadly, drivers complained.... I think Health and Safety intervened and they were either removed, reprofiled or flattened. :annoyed: :roll:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago I was quite happy to see the high kerbing that they installed at Austria installed a couple of years ago. The drivers only ever crossed them once, learning very quickly that the cars did not like them. Sadly, drivers complained.... I think Health and Safety intervened and they were either removed, reprofiled or flattened. :annoyed: :roll:
Grosjean probably complained that a filling fell out.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago I was quite happy to see the high kerbing that they installed at Austria installed a couple of years ago. The drivers only ever crossed them once, learning very quickly that the cars did not like them. Sadly, drivers complained.... I think Health and Safety intervened and they were either removed, reprofiled or flattened. :annoyed: :roll:
Grosjean probably complained that a filling fell out.
Grosjean - [james hunt] the man that crashes in every grand prix anyway. look at that idiot.[/james hunt]
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Vandoorne got a 5 secs. penalty for going the other side of the bollard at Catalunya, sigh... that's video game stuff :angry: And I lost track how many solutions they had to fix the chicane-cutting at various tracks when it's simply more profitable to go on the astro-turf instead of making an effort to make the corner, neither seems to work tbh.
When you follow races in the ELMS, WEC, Creventic and Blancpain, you will notice the races are awesome! Next weekend in F1 is Monaco. No tarmac but guardrails. Watch how many VSC's you will see. :whistling:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago

When you follow races in the ELMS, WEC, Creventic and Blancpain, you will notice the races are awesome! Next weekend in F1 is Monaco. No tarmac but guardrails. Watch how many VSC's you will see. :whistling:
I'd take 5 VSC during Monaco GP over all that tarmac @ Paul Ricard any single day. I only wonder how much track limits will come into effect since F1 won't have to worry about any gravel or guardrails.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

F1’s safety campaign is full of contractions. On one hand you have circuits with massive run offs (not to me til the adoption of the halo), then on the other hand F1 is attempting to have cars navigate a long bridge lined only with barriers.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I cant see the Miami race actually happening, certainly not within the time scale for inclusion next year. As I mentioned previously, the decision that has been taken is still far from an agreement to go ahead. The agreement seems basically to move on to the next level internally.

The Mayor is now admitting that they are expecting a host of lawsuits against the event going ahead and agrees they will likely lose some. He is even admitting that in reality the residents are their (the local council) bosses.

From Autosport:
Miami braced for lawsuits over F1 race

Miami's Mayor Francis Suarez admits the city will likely face legal threats over the planned Formula 1 Grand Prix, but insists everything will be done to avoid disrupting local residents.
Miami is locked in contract talks with Formula 1 over hosting a street race in October next year.

But during the approval of that first step of the process by the City Commission earlier this month, commissioner Joe Carollo raised the likelihood of legal threats from locals before he gave his approval.

"I was around back in the heyday of the Miami Grand Prix, and we're going to have major activity that disrupts - either through noise or street closures - the lives of these thousands of residents," said Carollo.

"We're going to end up being sued and I'm going to tell you that they're probably going to win suits.

"As a family [the City Commission], we need to look at this.

"Having said that, I'm ready to move forward because this [step] is only authorising the administration to sit down, discuss and negotiate and come back to us for a final ruling."

In an exclusive interview with Autosport, Suarez acknowledged those concerns but said everything would be done to allay the fears of residents who will face disruption.

"The residents are our bosses," he said. "And we have to take into account their concerns.

"The two major homeowner associations in the area have already expressed some concerns, but also said that this may be good for us. I think that's a positive start.

"Often residents can start off in opposition, but the fact they're open to working with promoters and other stakeholders, for me that's a big positive.

"From what I've seen from the promoters, they are very conscientious that this is a race that does impact residents and businesses, and everything I've seen from them indicates that they're going to listen and work hard to make everybody happy."

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I hope the race dies away rather than becoming a real thing.

I'd rather, even, see them go back to Indianapolis. There is a perfectly functioning Grade 1 circuit already. But I doubt we'll ever see F1 cars at the speedway again.

Or, hear me out - do a double header at Long Beach with Indycar. Or whatever. Anything rather than this.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

John wrote: 5 years ago I hope the race dies away rather than becoming a real thing.

I'd rather, even, see them go back to Indianapolis. There is a perfectly functioning Grade 1 circuit already. But I doubt we'll ever see F1 cars at the speedway again.

Or, hear me out - do a double header at Long Beach with Indycar. Or whatever. Anything rather than this.
:agreepost:

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I really don't have a strong feeling about this race. I'm fine if the race goes ahead, I'm fine if it doesn't. However better this race than another desert based / oil rich / human rights violating country securing one. Oh wait, Miami is in America. Ignore that last part.
myownalias
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Daniel Ricciardo
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Fusion (3.0L V6)

Post by myownalias »

I just have the feeling it will turn into another New Jersey and ultimately be canned.

There are already so many iconic tracks in the US that could be upgraded to grade 1 standards, which would offer better racing and is there really a reason to have another southeast GP when we already have Austin, Mexico, and Brazil.
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownaliasFormula 1 Articles
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I hope it doesn't take place because I'm fed up with F1 targeting cities and forcing the local taxpayer to fund the circus.

I dread it coming to London, and hopefully the hypocrisy of racing in the ULEZ zone will prevent it ever happening.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.