The "Oh, sweet, no Mongols oh goddamnit the Berbers are invading someone get El Cid" GP of Spain

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

The "Oh, sweet, no Mongols oh goddamnit the Berbers are invading someone get El Cid" GP of Spain

Post by John »

Disclaimer: This is Part 4 of the series "The best GP introductions in the world. The author takes no responsibility for the relevance of the content regarding the actual GP itself.

Who was El Cid - Patron Saint of the 2018 Spanish GP?
Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar (c. 1043 – 1099) was a Castilian nobleman and military leader in medieval Spain. The Moors called him El Cid, which meant the Lord (probably from the original Arabic al-Sayyid, السیِّد), and the Christians, El Campeador, which stood for Outstanding Warrior or The one who stands out in the battlefield. He was born in Vivar, a town near the city of Burgos. After his death, he became Castile's celebrated national hero and the protagonist of the most significant medieval Spanish epic poem, El Cantar de Mio Cid.[1]

Born a member of the minor nobility, El Cid was brought up at the court of King Ferdinand the Great and served Ferdinand's son, Sancho II of León and Castile. He rose to become the commander and royal standard-bearer (armiger regis) of Castile upon Sancho's ascension in 1065. Rodrigo went on to lead the Castilian military campaigns against Sancho's brothers, Alfonso VI of León and García II of Galicia, as well as in the Muslim kingdoms in Al-Andalus. He became renowned for his military prowess in these campaigns, which helped expand Castilian territory at the expense of the Muslims and Sancho's brothers' kingdoms. When conspirators murdered Sancho in 1072, Rodrigo found himself in a difficult situation. Since Sancho was childless, the throne passed to his brother Alfonso, the same whom El Cid had helped remove from power. Although Rodrigo continued to serve the Castilian sovereign, he lost his ranking in the new court which treated him at arm's length and suspiciously. Finally, in 1081, he was ordered into exile.[2]

El Cid found work fighting for the Muslim rulers of Zaragoza, whom he defended from their traditional enemies, Aragon and Barcelona. While in exile, he regained his reputation as a strategist and formidable military leader. He repeatedly turned out victorious in battle against the Muslim rulers of Lérida and their Christian allies, as well as against a large Christian army under King Sancho Ramírez of Aragon. In 1086, an expeditionary army of North African Almoravids inflicted a severe defeat to Castile, compelling Alfonso to overcome the resentments he harbored against El Cid. The terms for the return to the Christian service must have been attractive enough since Rodrigo soon found himself fighting for his former Lord. Over the next several years, however, El Cid set his sights on the kingdom-city of Valencia, operating more or less independently of Alfonso while politically supporting the Banu Hud and other Muslim dynasties opposed to the Almoravids. He gradually increased his control over Valencia; the Islamic ruler, al-Qadir, became his tributary in 1092. When the Almoravids instigated an uprising that resulted in the death of al-Qadir, El Cid responded by laying siege to the city. Valencia finally fell in 1094, and El Cid established an independent principality on the Mediterranean coast of Spain. He ruled over a pluralistic society with the popular support of Christians and Muslims alike.[3]

El Cid's final years were spent fighting the Almoravid Berbers. He inflicted upon them their first major defeat in 1094, on the plains of Caurte, outside Valencia, and continued resisting them until his death. Although Rodrigo remained undefeated in Valencia, his only son, and heir, Diego Rodríguez died fighting against the Almoravids in the service of Alfonso in 1097. After El Cid's death in 1099, his wife, Jimena Díaz, succeeded him as ruler of Valencia, but she was eventually forced to surrender the principality to the Almoravids in 1102.

To this day, El Cid remains a Spanish popular folk-hero and national icon. Numerous plays, films, folktales, songs, and even video games continue to memorialize the traditions of allegiance that his allegories typify.
What is Spain known for?

Hordes of english tourists turning pink in the Spanish sun.

Tapas.

Bullfights.

What is Spain not known for?

Eating frogs.

Which should be my beer of choice for the Spanish GP?

A couple of ice cold Estrellas will do nicely. Also gluten free if you're soft.

El cid sounds awesome. Are there any 13-minute movies about him?

Why yes!

But is El Cid really the national hero of all Spain?

No. It's this guy:

Bienvenido!

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Right.

Are we getting...err...pumped up yet?

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

if I take a look at the weather forecast for Sunday, then yes.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

ok....
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 6 years ago Right.

Not until we hear word of El Cid having a seat fitting.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago
John wrote: 6 years ago Right.

Not until we hear word of El Cid having a seat fitting.
Would that be El Cid Sainz or El Cid Alonso?

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I think I'll start reading this thread once we get to page three XD
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Williams have asked the FIA for revision/clarification of some of the judgements they passed during the Azeri race 2 weekends ago.

I don't see how Williams have an interest in some of the decisions (eg. not to penalise Raikkonen for his coming together with Ocon).

However, I do find it right to review the incident in which Sirotkin was sandwiched and which resulted in a grid penalty and penalty points on his drivers' licence. Can't see how Russia was at fault there.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I see Kubica is driving the Williams in FP1. I would have thought giving Sergey seat time was more important given his limited race mileage this year, having in effect lost two races of the four, Australia when he lost his brakes a couple of laps in, and then the opening lap exit after contact in Baku. Im sure it wont be Stroll that has to give up his car for P1..... :roll:

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago I see Kubica is driving the Williams in FP1. I would have thought giving Sergey seat time was more important given his limited race mileage this year, having in effect lost two races of the four, Australia when he lost his brakes a couple of laps in, and then the opening lap exit after contact in Baku. Im sure it wont be Stroll that has to give up his car for P1..... :roll:
Will happily stand corrected if I'm wrong, but hasn't Kubicas seat time been confirmed for a very long time?

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

John wrote: 6 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago I see Kubica is driving the Williams in FP1. I would have thought giving Sergey seat time was more important given his limited race mileage this year, having in effect lost two races of the four, Australia when he lost his brakes a couple of laps in, and then the opening lap exit after contact in Baku. Im sure it wont be Stroll that has to give up his car for P1..... :roll:
Will happily stand corrected if I'm wrong, but hasn't Kubicas seat time been confirmed for a very long time?
Correct
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yeah I think since pre season pretty much. It was more a something 'real' to add to the post in a reminder sense. I still think Williams priorities should be with their current race drivers. Call me cynical, but I am not sure what BobbyK can add in a constructive way. I am happy to be proven wrong.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

McLaren is to introduce a 'radical' nose.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 6 years ago McLaren is to introduce a 'radical' nose.
Source?