2019 silly season thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Has it actually been confirmed as yet or is it still paddock rumour?

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Has it actually been confirmed as yet or is it still paddock rumour?
The only news regarding this is Sauber strongly denying it.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Has it actually been confirmed as yet or is it still paddock rumour?
Italian press gives the deal done. The confirmation is expected at german gp (which i disn t know it was back in the pack).
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

That’s amazing if true. Fingers crossed it is.

Hopefully it means Raikkonen will retire at the end of the season and Gio will take a Alfber for 2019. Now what would be even better is Alonso following him into retirement.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Porsche to take control of WIlliams? That's Eddie's latest rumour, and one I certainly haven't heard of.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

And Dan Tictum is being considered for a 2019 Toro Rosso seat, to replace Brendan Hartley.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

It seems that Steiner / Haas's patience re Grosjean's continuing failures and crashes is wearing thin..... it had to happen and I have been surprised by Steiner's continuing (until now) support of him. It is certainly the first time I have heard Steiner use the unacceptable word in relation to either of his drivers.

His seat would be better filled by Leclerc if the gig at Ferrari for any reason does not happen. (I personally think that Leclerc to Ferrarri is now a lay down misere, but Ferrari politics.....) :whistling:
Grosjean form 'unacceptable' - Steiner
2018-07-10
Jul.10 (GMM) Gunther Steiner says a "critical moment" could come amid his patience with struggling Haas driver Romain Grosjean.

Frenchman Grosjean has had a mainly poor season with the American team, and it didn't get better at Silverstone.

Haas had to change his chassis after a crash in Friday practice, then in the race he collided with his teammate Kevin Magnussen as well as Carlos Sainz in separate incidents.

"I would not call it failures," team boss Steiner said. "It's becoming frustration.

"Every time we hope that everything turns for him, but it happens again. We will certainly cope, but it's not easy.

"We need to score points, do the maximum in every race weekend. It's important for us to move forward rather than standing still," he added.

"I support Romain and that's my duty, because I care about the success of the team. How long will it go on? I don't know when the critical moment will come.

"It has not yet arrived, but at some point we must stop losing points. This is extremely important. In the first half of the season, we lost too many points due to our own mistakes -- it's unacceptable," Steiner said.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

kals wrote: 5 years ago And Dan Tictum is being considered for a 2019 Toro Rosso seat, to replace Brendan Hartley.
A slight set back to those plans is Tictums FIA Superlicence testing refusal, so he wont be taking part in the post Hungary rookie test. His earliest testing opportunity will be at the end of season Abu Dhabi test should he get granted FIA approval.
Red Bull has hit an obstacle as it tries to promote its next young F1 hotshot.

The energy drink company has been looking for a potential replacement for struggling Toro Rosso driver Brendon Hartley.

It found him in the form of Daniel Ticktum, a 19-year-old Briton and Red Bull junior driver.

A few years, ago, Ticktum made headlines when he was banned from motor sport for deliberately crashing into a rival.

But now he's under Dr Helmut Marko's wing.

"It's no coincidence that his programme has proven so successful," said Ticktum. "I think it's his philosophy for young drivers -- urging them to get on with things, and the lessons he gets them to learn."

Now, Marko wants Ticktum to make the next step with a F1 test in the session to take place after the Hungarian grand prix.

But the FIA's super license rules do not allow it.

"He drives great races in Formula 3 but has not yet scored the points for the license. But how are we supposed to bring our young drivers to formula one?" Marko told Auto Motor und Sport.

If Ticktum cannot drive in Hungary, Marko will pencil him in for the Abu Dhabi test at the end of the season.

Ticktum thinks he is ready.

"I know I'm quick enough and good enough to make F1, but I need to focus on some pieces of the puzzle -- but I'm a lot closer to the finished article," he said.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

As we knew would happen has finally been confirmed.

From the Mercedes F1 website:
Hamilton will remain at Mercedes to end 2020

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport and Lewis Hamilton today announced the agreement of a two-year contract extension for the 2019 and 2020 Formula One seasons.

Since joining Mercedes in 2013, Lewis has, to date, won three world championships and 44 Grands Prix with the team; by the end of 2020, he will have spent eight seasons as a works Mercedes driver, his longest period with a single team in the sport.

Furthermore, since making his F1 debut in 2007, every single Grand Prix Lewis has driven has been powered by Mercedes-Benz engines. His career total of 65 F1 wins places him second on the all-time list behind Michael Schumacher.

Through these achievements, Lewis has earned his place in history as the most successful driver in the 112-year Grand Prix racing tradition of Mercedes-Benz.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bottas confirmed at Mercedes.

Following on from the Hamilton confirmation, a tweet from Bottas and a statement from Merc both confirm his continuation for another year alongside Lewis. He has agreed a one year deal with further options.
Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport today completed its driver line-up for the 2019 season, and potentially beyond, with confirmation that Valtteri Bottas will stay with the team next season.

The 28-year-old Finn has signed a one-year contract extension with the team, with an option for a further year in 2020.

Since joining Mercedes at the beginning of 2017, Valtteri has scored three Grand Prix victories and five pole positions.

Last season, his first with the team, he played a key role in winning Mercedes' fourth consecutive constructors' championship.

For 2018 he has made a significant step forward in performance and complements Lewis Hamilton as part of the strongest driver pairing in the sport today.
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... ri-bottas/

Tweet from Bottas....
So no surprises there and confirmation that Danny Ric is almost certain to stay put with the poison he knows and the hope that recent Honda failures with STR are going to lead to a strong 2019 engine for the two Red Bull teams.

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

So the only top-six seat available is the one currently occupied by Kimi? Well, that did put somewhat of a damper on things.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

John wrote: 5 years ago So the only top-six seat available is the one currently occupied by Kimi? Well, that did put somewhat of a damper on things.
Ricciardo has yet to be confirmed
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Alonso could ask for Ferrari seat
Fernando Alonso could spend the summer break trying to negotiate a return to Ferrari in 2019, according to Martin Brundle.

Alonso is coming to the end of his McLaren contract but has an option to extend for a year when his deal expires in six months time.

However, with the Woking-based outfit apparently unable to deliver a car capable of challenging at the front of the grid, the Spaniard is more likely to seek alternative employment.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... ian-Vettel

Hmm. I still think this is quite unlikely and not sure how Seb would go about this.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I read in several sources that Michelin has an interest to come back in 2020 as the sole tyre supplier.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Interesting in terms of the Ferrari 2019 line up is the increasing rumour that Kimi might be up for another year..... only strengthened by the news that one of the new head honchos at FCA/Ferrari, Louis Camilleri is said to be a close personal friend of Raikkonen.

Im not totally up with the ins and outs of the running of Ferrari between Elkham and Camilleri, but apparently Camilleri has confirmed he is buying a house in Marinello and has already chosen to not take over Marchionne's actual office, but chosen to use Di Montezemola's old office. Hr is from that sort of personal move going to be Marinello based and a key in the control and direction and of all things Ferrari in the future. Maybe @caneparo has more specific info on the division of power and who will be pulling the strings at Ferrari itself in place of Marchionne..

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago I read in several sources that Michelin has an interest to come back in 2020 as the sole tyre supplier.
The key being that they're not that fond in supplying rubber for one year before the reg changes.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.