How soon will Red Bull announce Honda power from 2019 onward?

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Autosport.com wrote:Red Bull and Honda have scheduled further talks for the Spanish Grand Prix, amid growing indications they could join up in Formula 1 in 2019.

As Autosport revealed earlier this week, the Milton Keynes-based team and the Japanese manufacturer held their first formal discussions about a potential future engine partnership in Baku last weekend.

There, Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko sat down with Honda motorsport boss Masashi Yamamoto to map out initial ideas about what could be possible from next year.

It has since emerged that the talks were encouraging enough for a second round of negotiations to be firmed up for the next race at Barcelona, which Yamamoto will attend.

Sources have suggested both sides are pushing hard for a Red Bull-Honda deal to be sorted - with the Canadian Grand Prix in June potentially key to a final decision as both Honda and Red Bull's current supplier Renault are set to introduce engine upgrades for that race.

Red Bull is keeping tight-lipped on the state of negotiations, but has suggested it is waiting for Honda's latest upgrade so it can judge its full potential.

"We are very satisfied with the way the partnership with Toro Rosso is going," Marko told Autosport.

"The reliability has already improved considerably. And as far as performance goes, we'll wait for the next update."

Red Bull's desire to wait until Canada before making a decision would put it beyond the preferred May 15 date that Renault has favoured, so it is unclear how the French manufacturer would respond if there was no commitment by that date.

Although it is understood that any Red Bull-Honda alliance will not result in the kind of financial injection to the team that McLaren enjoyed, there is scope for a stronger alliance than just being engine partners.

Honda is eager to get one of its junior drivers in to an F1 seat, which would most likely be with Toro Rosso.

The obvious candidate for this is Nirei Fukuzumi, who is running a joint campaign in Formula 2 and Super Formula this year to help boost his F1 superlicence points potential.

A Fukuzumi promotion to Toro Rosso would mean that one of the team's current drivers Pierre Gasly or Brendon Hartley would have to move aside.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Who is this Fukuzumi bloke. In fact who is Zumi? :tongue: :wink:
(I know who Fukuzumi is, just he has an unfortunate name. Fuk U and all that.)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago As I said in the GP thread I wonder if it is to do with Red Bull's refusal to use the Renault recommended fuel and lubricants.

Red Bull are the only team to not use the same oil and fuel as their engine manufacturer.
Ferrari insist Haas and Sauber use Shell, as do Mercedes insist Williams and FI use Petronas. (Hence why Petrobras disappeared from Williams.)
Renault use BP Castrol (as do McLaren FWIW) but Red Bull insist on using Exonn Mobil.

The post I wrote earlier has an interview with Toto Wolff regarding this exact issue. He in effect says Red Bull have rocks in their head to not use the recommended lubricants and fuel.

viewtopic.php?p=332835#p332835
Had to have a chuckle when I read that the Red Bull use of a non recommended fuel and oil supplier has cost them a Renault upgrade for Spain. Renault (and McLaren) will be benefiting from a new BP fuel upgrade expected to provide immediate performance benefits.
Renault is expecting its Formula 1 engine to get a performance boost from next week's Spanish Grand Prix thanks to an upgrade from fuel supplier BP.
The works team and McLaren will have access to new fuel at Barcelona, but Renault's other customer Red Bull will not.

Red Bull is the only F1 customer team not currently using the same fuel and oil supplier as its engine partner, having opted for ExxonMobil rather than BP/Castrol.
https://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/rena ... tory.shtml

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always