Four successful years of Mercedes in numbers

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 12208
Joined: 13 years ago
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003
Location: Stadskanaal, Groningen
Contact:

Four successful years of Mercedes in numbers

Post by erwin greven » 1 week ago

Pole-Positions
2014: 18 (94,7 %)
2015: 18 (94,7)
2016: 20 (95,3)
2017: 15 (75)

fastest laps
2014: 12 (63,2)
2015: 13 (68,4)
2016: 9 (42,9)
2017: 9 (45)

Wins
2014: 16 (84,2)
2015: 16 (84.2)
2016: 19 (90,5)
2017: 12 (60)

Double wins
2014: 10 (52,6)
2015: 12 (63,2)
2016: 8 (38,1)
2017: 4 (20)

podium finishes
2014: 31 (81,6)
2015: 32 (84,2)
2016: 33 (78,6)
2017: 26 (65)

Laps lead
2014: 978 (86,2)
2015: 936 (81,4)
2016: 1009 (83,2)
2017: 712 (59,5)

average amount of points per race
2014: 36,9
2015: 37
2016: 36,4
2017: 33,4

source: http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/1 ... uende.html
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."

User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 34961
Joined: 14 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Post by PTRACER » 1 week ago

Very grim statistics for 2014-16, and somehow we didn't enjoy 2017 any more despite Mercedes being less dominant?
Racing is living and everything that happens in between is just waiting.

User avatar
erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 12208
Joined: 13 years ago
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003
Location: Stadskanaal, Groningen
Contact:

Post by erwin greven » 1 week ago

In fact the 2017 statistics are even too flattering for Mercedes. If Ferrari had a more reliable car, remember Kimi not even starting at one gp because of failure of a spark plug. But even then Vettel said in one interview, that Ferrari was lucky too at times. Like at the Hungaroring where he had this steering issue, he remembered.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."

User avatar
theracer120
Staff
Staff
Posts: 3227
Joined: 9 years ago
Real Name: Simon
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Post by theracer120 » 1 week ago

I think the consensus is that the quality of the actual racing throughout the field went downhill, and the championship battle ended after the third-last race, whereas last year it went down to the final race (which was the first time that had happened since 2012, which was perhaps the best season in this decade so far with no less than 5 different teams winning).

It has to be said though that the Mercedes domination of this current era has had nothing on the domination that Red Bull (and specifically Vettel) managed to pull off in the prior era on occasion. 2013 started out fairly competitively (perhaps as an extension of 2012), but then Vettel went on to win the last nine races of the season and the championship by the points equivalent of more than six races.

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 24271
Joined: 10 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 week ago

theracer120 wrote:
1 week ago
and the championship battle ended after the third-last race, whereas last year it went down to the final race (which was the first time that had happened since 2012, which was perhaps the best season in this decade so far with no less than 5 different teams winning).
2014

User avatar
theracer120
Staff
Staff
Posts: 3227
Joined: 9 years ago
Real Name: Simon
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Post by theracer120 » 1 week ago

kals wrote:
1 week ago
theracer120 wrote:
1 week ago
and the championship battle ended after the third-last race, whereas last year it went down to the final race (which was the first time that had happened since 2012, which was perhaps the best season in this decade so far with no less than 5 different teams winning).
2014
That's true, I was figuring it out from the final standings and forgot about the double points for the final race that year.

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 24271
Joined: 10 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 week ago

theracer120 wrote:
1 week ago
kals wrote:
1 week ago
theracer120 wrote:
1 week ago
and the championship battle ended after the third-last race, whereas last year it went down to the final race (which was the first time that had happened since 2012, which was perhaps the best season in this decade so far with no less than 5 different teams winning).
2014
That's true, I was figuring it out from the final standings and forgot about the double points for the final race that year.
Even without the double points finale, the 2014 title race would have still been decided in Abu Dhabi.

DoubleFart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2 years ago
Real Name: YouKnowWho
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart » 1 week ago

The issue with this year was that we had 50% less overtaking.

User avatar
Circuitmaster
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 291
Joined: 1 year ago

Post by Circuitmaster » 1 week ago

DoubleFart wrote:
1 week ago
The issue with this year was that we had 50% less overtaking.
Echoing my thoughts from another thread, but less overtaking isn't NECESSARILY bad. I'm not saying that we don't have an obvious ongoing problem with overtaking in F1, but I don't think we should judge a season by the number of overtakes. We have had races in the past few years that had tonnes of overtaking.. but it was so easy that there was little to no excitement attached, and the races were still dull to watch. Balance is key.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 24271
Joined: 10 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 week ago

There was no balance. When the highlight of a race is a battle and / or overtake for a lower end place it is indicative of a wider issue within F1. At Sochi, Singapore and Abu Dhabi there were near zero overtakes. In Brazil the overtakes were thanks to Hamilton and Ricciardo. Plus if it weren't for DRS then Ricciardo wouldn't have done his 2 in 1 overtake in Baku, neither would we have seen Bottas take Stroll on the line. 2017 was shit. End of story.

User avatar
Circuitmaster
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 291
Joined: 1 year ago

Post by Circuitmaster » 1 week ago

kals wrote:
1 week ago
There was no balance. When the highlight of a race is a battle and / or overtake for a lower end place it is indicative of a wider issue within F1. At Sochi, Singapore and Abu Dhabi there were near zero overtakes. In Brazil the overtakes were thanks to Hamilton and Ricciardo. Plus if it weren't for DRS then Ricciardo wouldn't have done his 2 in 1 overtake in Baku, neither would we have seen Bottas take Stroll on the line. 2017 was shit. End of story.
I know it's fun to look at the races where there was the least overtaking and use it as proof that F1 has an issue, but that's not really looking at the full picture. If you change the cars to make overtaking easier and to improve the quality of races at circuits like Abu Dhabi and Singapore, then you are inevitably going to make passing insanely easy at the dozen or so circuits where overtaking is currently not as much of an issue.

As long as we have a wide-ish variety of circuits, we will have circuits on which passing is hard to impossible.. but that's almost preferable to seeing cars sweep past each other without the hint of a challenge. And it makes the pass so much more special when it happens..

In short, I liked the cars and tracks in 2017. Just wish the top teams had been a little closer each race. Instead it seemed more like one team would dominate one weekend, then the other team would dominate the next.. which makes for a close championship, but not really close races. I'm well up for 2018 though.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015

User avatar
kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 24271
Joined: 10 years ago
Real Name: Kieran
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park
Location: New Jersey

Post by kals » 1 week ago

The attempted justification that DRS allows cars just to sweep by each other is flawed. There are circuits where it is too effective but more often than not it is ineffective.

But anyhow, suggesting that only focusing on the races where there was little overtaking means then majority of the races. So yeah, that’s looking at the full picture. 30 years I’ve been following F1. If you want to go back to the early to mid-2000’s style racing where it was follow the leader and overtakes in the pits then that’s good for you. But I don’t.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest