Rate the 2017 Season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the 2017 Season

No votes
No votes
5%
5%
21%
21%
26%
16%
5%
No votes

Total votes: 19

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Re: Rate the 2017 Season

Post by kals » 2 weeks ago

Last post from previous page:

I’ve given it a 3. There were a couple of good moments but the races were all average to poor and the championship battle petered out when it was looking very interesting. While on the surface it appears as though Mercedes and Hamilton dominated, the reality of a season of two distinct halves needs to be remembered.

caneparo
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo » 2 weeks ago

I gave a six because it seemed that somehow the mercedes domination could have been challenged. Then it came the little help from the FIA and ferrari did the rest. Maybe too much a six but it s an encouragement for next season. I wish that at least 4 trams can win races in 2018
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

caneparo wrote:
2 weeks ago
I gave a six because it seemed that somehow the mercedes domination could have been challenged. Then it came the little help from the FIA and ferrari did the rest. Maybe too much a six but it s an encouragement for next season. I wish that at least 4 trams can win races in 2018
The stats make it seem as though Mercedes dominated. Yet Seb lead title until round 14 of 20.

DoubleFart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart » 2 weeks ago

Four. There were few occasions where there was a genuine battle for the win, and the title stayed close purely sue to Mercedes' prima Donna car having off days e.g. Monaco.

caneparo
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

kals wrote:
2 weeks ago
caneparo wrote:
2 weeks ago
The stats make it seem as though Mercedes dominated. Yet Seb lead title until round 14 of 20.
Mercedes dominated the last 4 seasons and ferrari with vettel seemed that they could interrupt it. It didn t happen but i saw some little hope that next year vettel or verstappen or, who knows, alonso, can seriously challenge hamilton for the championship.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 2 weeks ago

An underwhelming and disappointing 4.
*"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"- Jimi Hendrix.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

caneparo wrote:
2 weeks ago
kals wrote:
2 weeks ago
caneparo wrote:
2 weeks ago
Mercedes dominated the last 4 seasons and ferrari with vettel seemed that they could interrupt it. It didn t happen but i saw some little hope that next year vettel or verstappen or, who knows, alonso, can seriously challenge hamilton for the championship.
Mercedes have dominated these last 4 years. But they were run close in 2017 until Singapore. At that point Hamilton had won 6 races to Seb's 4, Ferrari still lead the title. Near 75% of the year was not lead by a silver arrow. They were not dominant at that point compared to 2014-16. What happened at Singapore and at the subsequent Malaysian and Japanese races skews the stats and makes it look like another Mercedes walkover, which it wasn't.

caneparo
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

The thing happens in qualifying. Mercedes are faster than anyone and we know hiw much the qualifying is important. Moreover the mercedes horsepower engine proved its importance in many occasions

kals
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yes and no @caneparo. When you look at the stats alone it appears as though Lewis walked the season, was fastest overall in qualifying and won every race easily. Except that's not the truth.

Vettel won in Australia on speed and superior strategy over pole sitter Hamilton. Same happened in Bahrain only Bottas was on pole that time. Vettel and Ferrari were far superior to Mercedes in other races, like Monaco, Hungary and would have repeated the feat save for the start incident in Singapore after being nearly 1 second faster than the Mercs in qualifying. Add to that Hamilton's owns struggles at Sochi and Red Bull Ring.

XcraigX
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: 1976 Tyrrell 6-wheeler
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2001 BMW e39 (5 series)

Post by XcraigX » 1 week ago

I'm giving it a 6.
The outcome we expected prior to the start of the year was the inevitable result (Hamilton WDC and Mercedes WCC) and that in itself was a bit disappointing.
However, the path to that result was better than I expected. Great wins by Verstappen and Vettel. Many surprising crashes and technical failures. This season was better than the last 3 for sure, but not one of the best overall.

Circuitmaster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Circuitmaster » 1 week ago

I think if this season had come at the end of the red bull dominance of 10-13 it would have been much better received.. but as it is, the result leaves a slightly sour taste in the mouth. Much like 2012.. I remember it being a great season in a lot of ways.. but it ended with another championship for Vettel, which took away some of the gleam..
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015

Antonov
I am Stefan GP
I am Stefan GP
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps, Suzuka
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov » 1 week ago

I gave it a 4 for four-gettable.
This kind of certainty comes but once in a lifetime

erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003

Post by erwin greven » 1 week ago

The season was pretty ok. At least we got a battle between 2 drivers of two different teams. It was because of the lack of reliability of Ferrari, the mistakes of Sebastian and the inability of Kimi to be closer to the other three drivers, that in the end Lewis and Mercedes became champions.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 week ago

Overtaking stats for the season have been released by Pirelli, confirming 2016 showed double the overtakes of the new improved F1 cars of 2017. In fact the 2017 tally of passes is the lowest since before DRS was introduced to ease passing.....435 in 2017 V's 866 in 2017. At Sochi 2017 there there was only 1 recorded in the whole race!
The number of passes during this year’s Formula 1 season was barely more than half that of the year prior.
According to new data released by F1 tyre supplier Pirelli, there were 435 completed passes during the 2017 season, the first of the new generation of wider, faster cars.

In 2016, when there were 21 races instead of this year’s 20, there were 866 completed passes, the highest since records began in the early 1980s.
This season’s 49 percent drop to 435 is the lowest since the 211 passes that took place in 2009, which was before DRS was introduced to help overtaking.
This year’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix in Baku accounted for the most overtaking moves in one race, with 42 in total.
At the other end of the spectrum was the Russian Grand Prix in Sochi when just one pass was recorded.

Daniel Ricciardo ended the year as F1’s top overtaker, pulling off a total of 43 passes during the campaign.
An impressive 13 of these came at the British Grand Prix, when he charged his way through the field after taking a grid penalty for a new gearbox and power unit components.
Ricciardo’s team-mate Max Verstappen pulled off 22 moves himself, which meant Red Bull Racing cars completed the most overtakes over the course of the season.
Lance Stroll’s strong recovery from poor qualifying efforts was reflected as he was the driver who pulled off the most passes on the first lap of races, with 36 over the course of the season.
*"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"- Jimi Hendrix.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Circuitmaster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Circuitmaster » 1 week ago

Not necessarily a bad thin that, considering that at some events overtaking has been way too easy in the past. That's not to say that at times this year it wasn't too hard.. but I feel the balance was overall better than it was last year
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015

MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo » 1 week ago

I don't feel like overtaking was a problem either.

How did last year compare to the worst years? Maybe I've gotten used to shit racing.
Daniel Ricciardo in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 Guess the Pole Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion