It's only September and the 2018 grid is almost complete

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 6 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 6 years ago Charles Leclerc and Marcus Ericsson confirmed at Sauber.
So this is how they announce, with a blurry photo taken on someone's phone? Gimme a break...
And you cannot see the Alfa Romeo branding / livery section of the car. It’s being hidden from view
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Amateur hour.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

PTRACER wrote: 6 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 6 years ago Charles Leclerc and Marcus Ericsson confirmed at Sauber.

So this is how they announce, with a blurry photo taken on someone's phone? Gimme a break...
Yes, that is what i thought also, when i picked up their message at twitter.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... ns-answers

Kubica test raises more questions than answers.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

the longer it takes, the less likely I see Kubica in that Williams seat.

could well end up being Russian sensation Sirotkin.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 6 years agocould well end up being Russian sensation Sirotkin.

From earlier in this thread...
Antonov wrote: 6 years ago
DoubleFart" wrote:Please stop trolling, it's actually having an impact on the enjoyment of the discussion on here.
well, sad in the sense that he had a proper goodbye last year, but decided to sign for another year and drive in complete anonymity.

but true - message received. I'll keep my trolling to the thread I created for it (the Arse End - formerly known as Antonov's thread)
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

well, lets delete 'sensation'. it could be the case though, especially due to the influential backing.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Word on the street is that Williams are close to signing Sirotkin to partner Lance Stroll in 2018, with Kubica no longer in the frame. Should the deal with Sirotkin fall through then the back up would be Daniil Kvyat. Paul DiResta is also out of contention.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Antonov wrote: 6 years ago the longer it takes, the less likely I see Kubica in that Williams seat.

could well end up being [...] Sirotkin.
disappointing though. I had really wanted to see Kubica in that seat, and wanted to see him succeed.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Sergey Sirotkin has emerged as the favourite to drive for Williams in 2018, with Robert Kubica no longer in the frame, Autosport has learned.

Williams has spent the last week evaluating data gathering from the Abu Dhabi Pirelli test at Yas Marina, where it ran Sirotkin and Kubica.

Kubica had been favourite to make a sensational return to F1, with the team impressed by his feedback and the way he fitted into the team and built up strong relationships.

However, it has emerged that based purely on performance, data suggests Sirotkin is the stronger candidate.

Williams has insisted throughout the process that its decision on the driver to partner Lance Stroll next season will be based on performance.

Talks with the 22-year-old Russian, who has performed reserve duties for Renault this year, are now at an advanced stage.

However, it is believed there are several details still to be ironed out before the final contract is signed.

It is believed Sirotkin brings substantial backing with him - understood to be in the region of £15million - from Russia's SMP Racing, which was founded by Boris Rotenberg, who controls SMP Bank.

Should the deal fall through, former Toro Rosso and Red Bull driver Daniil Kvyat is believed to be the back-up option.

However, it is believed Kubica is no longer in contention for the race seat, ending his hopes of returning to the grid for the first time since 2010.

Autosport understands Williams reserve Paul di Resta, who stood in for the injured Felipe Massa in Hungary this year, is also out of the running.

Williams is remaining tight-lipped and not making any official comment regarding its 2018 driver line-up.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

kals wrote: 6 years ago Word on the street is that Williams are close to signing Sirotkin to partner Lance Stroll in 2018, with Kubica no longer in the frame. Should the deal with Sirotkin fall through then the back up would be Daniil Kvyat. Paul DiResta is also out of contention.
It seems Sirotkin has a $15 million backer and Kubica only 8 mill. Certainly it seems that Williams are less keen on Kubica post test than it seemed pre test. I think it worried them that his race pace and tyre optimisation left something to be desired

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

All you lower-level formulae buffs out there - how do we rate Sirotkin? The Renault team and Hulkenberg apparently thinks highly of him.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

John wrote: 6 years ago All you lower-level formulae buffs out there - how do we rate Sirotkin? The Renault team and Hulkenberg apparently thinks highly of him.
Sirotkin been very competent across FR3.5 and GP2/F2. There are undoubtedly better drivers but there are many many worse.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

kals wrote: 6 years ago
John wrote: 6 years ago All you lower-level formulae buffs out there - how do we rate Sirotkin? The Renault team and Hulkenberg apparently thinks highly of him.
Sirotkin been very competent across FR3.5 and GP2/F2. There are undoubtedly better drivers but there are many many worse.
Agreed. As far as pay drivers go, he's one of the better options. Not amazing from what I've seen, but shouldn't disgrace himself in F1.

The questions are - how can he help Stroll develop since it's Team Stroll? And what about Martini wanting an old driver?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago
kals wrote: 6 years ago
Agreed. As far as pay drivers go, he's one of the better options. Not amazing from what I've seen, but shouldn't disgrace himself in F1.

The questions are - how can he help Stroll develop since it's Team Stroll? And what about Martini wanting an old driver?
I think Russia has different alcohol laws, plus it's probably a big enough market for them to use Sirotkin.

And regarding Kubica:
I read in the last issue of Motor Sport Magazine that Williams had offered Kubica a contract, but the pay was so low it wouldn't offset the amount of money he would have to repay the insurance company.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

John wrote: 6 years ago
And regarding Kubica:
I read in the last issue of Motor Sport Magazine that Williams had offered Kubica a contract, but the pay was so low it wouldn't offset the amount of money he would have to repay the insurance company.
That sounds like it makes sense, and does not surprise me..... driver wages other than the top 3 earners (Alonso Hamilton and Vettel) even other proven drivers (Max Danny R etc are much lower than they were back in Kubica's day, and he (RK) now fits very much into the unproven category. Plus of course back in his day he was a works manufacturer driver with BMW, and those drivers are/were always better rewarded than smaller teams.

Not to mention the fact that Williams in particular have never been famed for being the best payers of drivers in the business. Massa was not on a big retainer, and Stroll is on 'pocket money' from Stroll senior.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always