'Halo' safety system being introduced in 2018 *UPDATED*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

'Halo' safety system being introduced in 2018 *UPDATED*

Post by kals »

The drivers have asked and the FIA has agreed. The 'Halo' system that Mercedes (I think?!) originally suggested has been chosen as the new head safety system that F1 will introduce for the start of 2017.

Here's a reminder of how the system appears

It isn't the most eloquent solution and it won't have helped against the accidents that befell Massa, Dan Wheldon and Jules Bianchi. Arguably it could have helped both Henry Surtees and Justin Wilson.

What concerns me is that there is a need for an extensive R&D program to identify the best way to better protect a driver's head. The study needs to take into consideration actions and factors of more than just the car... meaning the timeline of an accident, when to allow marshals and recovery vehicles onto the live race track, when a SC should be called, what to do when a car is ailing and potentially has pieces about to be shed, and so on... Putting the 'Halo' into production feels a little knee jerk.

I'm all for improving the safety of the drivers and the introduction of this won't affect my passion for the sport. With that said, seeing some comments around the internet you'd think it was the end of the world.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

why all these separate topics? Can't we just keep it in the random discussion?
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

I think this measure is being rushed into use a bit too fast. I think a canopy would be better than this guillotine-type device, but I am no crash expert.
I doubt it wil actually be implemented in 2017, hopefully because a better solution will have been found. Developing the HANS-system took well over a decade before it was finally used.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Antonov wrote:why all these separate topics? Can't we just keep it in the random discussion?
PTRACER wrote:Topics split of the most significant news stories.

I repeat: Please start a New Topic to encourage discussion. Use this thread for really minor news stories only. Only 2 or 3 members are replying before the subject is changed. This will not encourage (new) members to post.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

OK, just asking. I'll comply :-)

I support kals' opinion - it will change the way F1 looks, but doesn't alter the concept of it being an open-wheel formula.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

And the next thing we'll learn right after its introduction is that DRS ain't strong enough anymore and that it will take another/additional boost system to overtake.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I wonder what will happen when they get to Spa and realise they can't see over the top of Raidillon from the bottom of Eau Rouge so easily as they could pre-Halo....
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

They'll stick Go-Pro cameras in the nose of the car which live feeds a small monitor in the center of the steering wheel
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I don't see the purpose of this at all. It's nothing but a joke.

I'd argue with Kieran and say this solution wouldn't have saved any of the drivers killed by head injuries in the last six or seven years. Not even Surtees or Wilson. This will only protect against debris coming directly at the driver's faces. And even then, without a glass screen, debris is still going to get through. The next question - what happens if the car rolls? The driver won't be able to get out until the car is on its wheels. We haven't seen fire from fuel for a long time, but F1 cars do still catch fire. Sometimes they even explode (was it Grosjean at Hungary a few years ago?)

That said, it doesn't do anything to affect the racing. It only makes the cars even fucking uglier.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

You can argue with me all you like Paul, but first let's get it straight that I said "Arguably it could have helped both Henry Surtees and Justin Wilson" not "would have saved", didn't I?

Other than that I don't think we've much to argue as your points align to this part of my post:
kals wrote:What concerns me is that there is a need for an extensive R&D program to identify the best way to better protect a driver's head. The study needs to take into consideration actions and factors of more than just the car... meaning the timeline of an accident, when to allow marshals and recovery vehicles onto the live race track, when a SC should be called, what to do when a car is ailing and potentially has pieces about to be shed, and so on... Putting the 'Halo' into production feels a little knee jerk.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Well, argue in the sense of a critical response, not in an angry kind of way :haha:

As for R&D, aside from the canopy test they performed with a tyre a few years ago, this is completely untested and unmodelled in every way. The F1 teams' Aerodynamics departments must be going bloody crazy at the idea. I would put my money down on it not happening. They only have until 11th Feb to decide the rules for 2017 and that is all way too soon.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Completely agree with you, both on us arguing and the R&D. One has to wonder whether there is an ulterior motive behind this.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

kals wrote: One has to wonder whether there is an ulterior motive behind this.
Cue flexible halos /movable aero devices conspiracy..... :tongue:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Of course there's a motive. It's to show the world how cutting edge and progressive F1 is.

Fans have been jumping ship for the last decade; fewer people than ever go to the races and half of the races can't be watched on TV for free anymore. Mark Webber hasn't held back on criticisng F1 since he quit. And how many of the BIG sponsors are taking their names off the cars lately?

Meanwhile, Jaguar have snubbed F1 for Formula E, Aston Martin have openly said WEC is better for showcasing their technology, and some news which has slipped past a lot of people - Manor Motorsport is entering an LMP2 team this year and will be entering Le Mans for the first time.

All of this is a big fuck you to F1.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: some news which has slipped past a lot of people - Manor Motorsport is entering an LMP2 team this year and will be entering Le Mans for the first time.

All of this is a big fuck you to F1.
Just to clear any confusion, 'Manor Motorsport' is Graeme Lowdon and John Booth, the two that resigned from running the F1 team they had set up, and not the actual Manor F1 team. Best of luck to them.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always