'Halo' safety system being introduced in 2018 *UPDATED*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Raikkonen, Lauda, Clark etc
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe

Re: 'Halo' safety system being introduced in 2018 *UPDATED*

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 5 months ago

Last post from previous page:

Bernie came up with a good analogy when asked about the halo and the over sanitising of current F1 cars.
"When an acrobat walks along a tightrope, they are admired because they risk their lives. But if the rope is a metre from the ground, no one pays attention."
Hammer Nail Head.

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

DoubleFart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart » 5 months ago

Now, I have zero belief that the breakaway series will happy, but in that 0.0001% chance that it did, I think number one decision they'll make is the removal of halo.

MonteCristo
FMB Representative
FMB Representative
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo » 5 months ago

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
5 months ago
Bernie came up with a good analogy when asked about the halo and the over sanitising of current F1 cars.
"When an acrobat walks along a tightrope, they are admired because they risk their lives. But if the rope is a metre from the ground, no one pays attention."
Hammer Nail Head.
Doesn't help if the acrobat also looks like the Elephant Man thanks to his safety gear.
Daniel Ricciardo in F1! Catch the fever!

Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 Guess the Pole Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion

Andy
Favourite Motorsport: Motorcycles 'real' road racing
Favourite Racing Car: Porsche 956
Favourite Driver: Stefan Bellof
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy » 5 months ago

5 months ago
Hammer Nail Head.
Love it :haha:

My attention has went to motorcycles completely anyway.
:bye:
If you are not willing to risk the unusual,you will have to settle for the ordinary-Jim Rohn

erwin greven
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Clio 1.2 2003

Post by erwin greven » 4 months ago

we know.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DJ at www.metalmessiahradio.com *** Every Tuesday 1pm - 4pm EST.

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 months ago

I pointed it out in the GP thread but one thing the halo has destroyed is the in car shots. Very average now. No doubt we might revert to a different camera position.... maybe a keyhole camera in the halo?

theracer120
Staff
Staff

Post by theracer120 » 4 months ago

I saw a camera position actually on top of the halo which worked fine. I think the problem is the shots showing the drivers at work, you used to be able to have those and be able to see where they're going but you can't now.

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 3 months ago

Im not sure whether this is more a PR chasing we were right to introduce the halo type of statement from the FIA, but they are claiming that the halo fitted to one of the F2 cars has likely saved a driver from a more severe injury in the GP support race at Catalunya.
The FIA will investigate the first incident that may have prevented the injury of a driver due to the controversial 'Halo' concept.

In Barcelona, a clash of wheels during the F2 race saw the car of a rival strike against the Halo of Japanese driver Tadasuke Makino.

Photos of the Makino car afterwards showed rubber marks on the Halo.

"Yes, we will conduct an investigation," confirmed FIA race director Charlie Whiting.

"Judging from the pictures we saw, it seems that if it was not for Halo, the consequences could have been severe. But this is only my initial conclusion.

"However, the marks on the Halo start just at the point where the load was doubled during the system tests. So even if his life was not threatened, it is clear that the consequences of the incident could have been worse," he added.
I remember the incident, but in the coverage they missed the crash in all but an onboard shot from a following car which shows the real wheel of one car slewing up in the vicinity. I have found a clip.... the on board shot I mentioned is towards the end of this clip. Not enough to say OMG saved his life, but.....

John
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: Volvo V60 -17, Toyota iQ -09

Post by John » 3 months ago

3 months ago
Im not sure whether this is more a PR chasing we were right to introduce the halo type of statement from the FIA, but they are claiming that the halo fitted to one of the F2 cars has likely saved a driver from a more severe injury in the GP support race at Catalunya.
The FIA will investigate the first incident that may have prevented the injury of a driver due to the controversial 'Halo' concept.

In Barcelona, a clash of wheels during the F2 race saw the car of a rival strike against the Halo of Japanese driver Tadasuke Makino.

Photos of the Makino car afterwards showed rubber marks on the Halo.

"Yes, we will conduct an investigation," confirmed FIA race director Charlie Whiting.

"Judging from the pictures we saw, it seems that if it was not for Halo, the consequences could have been severe. But this is only my initial conclusion.

"However, the marks on the Halo start just at the point where the load was doubled during the system tests. So even if his life was not threatened, it is clear that the consequences of the incident could have been worse," he added.
I remember the incident, but in the coverage they missed the crash in all but an onboard shot from a following car which shows the real wheel of one car slewing up in the vicinity. I have found a clip.... the on board shot I mentioned is towards the end of this clip. Not enough to say OMG saved his life, but.....

The Halo took quite a punishment. 45 seconds in, if the thumbnail isn't clear enough.
Born grumpy.

Marcus Ericsson - Future WDC™.

DoubleFart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart » 3 months ago

What would happen with the halo in the instance of Coulthard going over Wurz in Oz 2007.

He would miss the rearmost part of the halo, be behind the front.. would it just chop through the front pillar or would it pivot the car from the point of impact, sending the floor into Wurz' helmet?

Everso Biggyballies
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 3 months ago

The halo is tested to be able to withstand the weight of a double decker bus!
Halo strong enough to hold a bus, say Mercedes

F1 cars just got a whole lot more robust – and it’s all thanks to the introduction of the new halo cockpit protection device.
According to Mercedes, the new titanium structures - which will become compulsory additions to every car in 2018 - are capable of holding the weight of one of London’s iconic double decker buses - that's the equivalent of 12 tonnes balancing on a 7kg metal frame.

The astonishing revelation was made by the Silver Arrows’ technical chief James Allison, who admitted that incorporating the new safety device into the team’s 2018 car design had been ‘a significant challenge’.

"This is not a light piece of work, it is several kilos of titanium that needs to be put in the car," he said in a video released by Mercedes.

"There are changes that we needed to do to accommodate it to ensure the overall car would still stay below the weight limit.

"It's also not light because it takes really high loads.

"We had to strengthen the design of the chassis so it would be able to take roughly the weight of a London double decker bus sitting on top of the halo.

"We needed to make sure it would be strong enough to withstand the type of event it was designed to protect the driver against."
https://www . formula1 . com/en/latest/head ... h-bus.html
(The link does not connect.... it automatically adds spaces between the dots, hence the reason I quoted the content.)