Monza saved by government.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Monza saved by government.

Post by erwin greven »

motorsport.com wrote:Government breakthrough set to save F1 at Monza

An imminent move by the Italian government looks set to save the Italian Grand Prix, following months of uncertainty about the future of Formula 1 at Monza.

Bernie Ecclestone and Italian GP chiefs have been a loggerheads for months about putting together a deal to keep the event at Monza beyond its current contract, which runs out after 2016.

Talks at the Monaco Grand Prix with Italian motorsport representatives, plus a get-together between Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi and Ecclestone at this year's Monza's race, did not appear to have delivered a much-needed breakthrough.

However, that appears to have now finally materialised in a proposal to change where the financing for a new deal for Monza can come from.

Previously, the Automobile Club of Italy had been unable to fund any shortfall in finances itself because of limitations laid down by the government.

However, the 'Camera's Budget Committee has written an amendment to Article 183 of its Stability Law, which will allow the ACI to help fund the Italian GP race hosting fee.

There had previously been a limitation on how the ACI could use its resources because some of its income came from road licencing activities, and it was unclear how much was actually coming from the sporting side.

It is hoped that the change in law, which could be approved before Christmas, will pave the way for a new Italian GP deal that could be as long as seven years.

Angelo Sticchi Damiani, president of the ACI, believed the slight tweak in the statutes was a big help.

"This statute prevented us from intervening to save Monza," he was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

"We had problems distinguishing income from sport and other activities. This change has been decisive and so the most important work is now done."
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gover ... -at-monza/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

a race at Monza isn't as special to me as it is to others, I am sure. But for the sake of legacy, I am very happy to read this news.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

I think you are one of the few who feels not that much when it comes to Monza. I rather see Monza to stay on the list than lets say Silverstone or Spa. Monza is F1. Pity for the chicanes, those are necessary, but it is the only high speed track that is left in F1. Oesterreichring? Hockenheim? Silverstone? Spa? For the sake of safety and in particular the commercial interest the tracks are demolished, shortened or changed beyond recognition. Monza is almost as it was when it was build in 1922.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Monza is good for bikes. Always been for crazy slipstream battles.
Don't get me started on F1 though. All I gonna say is that Monzas ass is saved by sugering Bernies butt. Nothing else.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

I don't care who saves it, or for who it is saved. There are a lot of circuits which can be dropped and i will not shed a tear, but not Monza. I feel less for Monaco, Silverstone or Spa. We got too many circuits without any character added to the calender. Mostly Tilkedomes like Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Sotchi and Singapore.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Thanks for posting this. This amendment to the stability law (which was voted at 2:30 am!) went totally overlooked by the press who is concentrated on the latest bank scandals.
Indeed it would be great news for monza. Losing the gp would be a huge hit ti the business around the city. I have a friend who owns a hotel near monza and said that the f1 gp is the real cashmaker of the year and he is already full for the 2016 race.
To those who critic monza i reply that to go to the race and tell me how it is. You can t forget monza gp after u ve been there
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

It is crazy to consider the lengths that Monza have had to go through to ensure they can host an F1 race from 2016 and on. The details that Ivan Capelli shared beggar belief. Forcing through changes to various aspects of legislation so money can be used from multiple local sources is akin to the bygone age of mobsters going around to each local business collecting their "protection money".
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Monza is a fairly boring track now as opposed to what it was in the 80's and 90's, it's funny how taking one corner complex out and reprofiling two others completely changed the character of the track.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Monza will go the same way as the old Hockenheim one day. In character, the circuits are hardly different. Maybe instead of removing the gravel at Parabolica, they should have put in another chicane.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Ian-S wrote:Monza is a fairly boring track now as opposed to what it was in the 80's and 90's, it's funny how taking one corner complex out and reprofiling two others completely changed the character of the track.
Didn't he second chicane get reprofiled as well?
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

I think they changed the second of lesmo too.
Monza was one of the first circuits to be changed for safety reasons but it never lost the original concept.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

in fact both lesmo corners: To get more run off
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

PTRACER wrote:Monza will go the same way as the old Hockenheim one day. In character, the circuits are hardly different. Maybe instead of removing the gravel at Parabolica, they should have put in another chicane.
Hockenheim is a completely different circuit now. It is not a high speed circuit anymore. Completely different environment. The Motodome was the special part of the old track, because of the low downforce package of the cars.
Monza is still a high speed circuit. Back in 2003-2004 where speeds went up to 370kmh.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

kals wrote:
Ian-S wrote:Monza is a fairly boring track now as opposed to what it was in the 80's and 90's, it's funny how taking one corner complex out and reprofiling two others completely changed the character of the track.
Didn't he second chicane get reprofiled as well?
Yeah that's what I meant, they took out the first chicane, reprofiled the second and reprofiled the two lesmo's (more so the second one, making it tighter), I counted the two Lesmo's as a single change, easy to confuse an old guy having two corners with the same name, like Sunny In and Sunny Out at Croft lol.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

At Monza they changed the first chicane from a twin chicane to one chicane. The Curva Grande was relocated a bit. The second chicane was positioned a bit earlier to get more space behind that chicane. The Lesmo corners also were relocated for more run off on the left of the corners.