Michael Schumacher - 10 years on

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Michael Schumacher - 10 years on

Post by PTRACER »

In a COMA :shock:
http://news.sky.com/story/1188296/micha ... -condition

Really, it's quite terrible news.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

yes, i heard the news this afternoon. And a few minutes ago that his condition has worsened.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

As title. It s reportedly in coma. Thigs got worse during afternoon. A big prayer for him
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Cerebral haemorrhage ususally means induced coma.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111979

Gary Hartstein explains very well what his injuries are: https://twitter.com/former_f1doc
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Fingers crossed for Michael. But let's not panic. An induced coma is a standard procedure for certain types of head trauma. Wendlinger and Massa went through the same after Monaco 1994 and Hungary 2009.

The only thing I'd prefer reading (other than that he is fine) is "serious but stable condition".
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yup, +1.

I wonder if he was actually wearing a helmet, the guy from the resort they interviewed on Sky didn't sound too sure, saying "we are sure he was wearing a helmet" as if one of us would say we'll I'd assume he was wearing one.

Either way, that's one mother of a hit to cause all this, the first thing the Mrs said was how ironic the whole situation is.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

The meical bullettin of 10pm says "critical condition"; the brain hemorragy caused the coma. Gerard salliant, the neurosurgeon that treated him after 1999 accident arrived from paris and he schumacher received surgery to stop the hemorragy
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Ian-S wrote:the first thing the Mrs said was how ironic the whole situation is.
Agreed. This is something that I've been thinking about all day.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

According to autosprint schumi was wearing a helmet but was skiing offtrack, which is not really thrilling cause myself i only ski off track
11pm official bullettin says he arrived to grenoble already in a coma and the surgery has reducedy the hemorragy
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

From another forum
phil1993 wrote:Sky News had a neurosurgeon, I'm paraphrasing: Coma means there is a range of things that could have happened: brain swelling, brain haemorrage, a blood clot within the brain or on the surface would need to be removed. There might need to have been an intercranial pressure monitor or sometimes a large piece of the skull is removed to allow the brain to swell to minimise the pressure on vital structures. Suspects that he had a lucid interval which suggests it is not as serious as it could have been - those who are immediately unconscious fare far worse - but this is still serious. Any potential swelling needs to be treated. Helmet can often minimise the severity of the injury which is sustained. For more, Hartstein's Twitter account is very informative
And cheeveer has already posted details of Hartstein's Twitter account, it is worth a read.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

It s pretty clear that schumacher had a serious cranial trauma with internal hemorragy. He was conscious after the fall but worsened and arrived in grenoble in coma. Makes me remind of mark donhue. Fortunatelly he was inmediately treated and saillant is a positive thing. Unfortunatelly the brain is a very delicate organ a and a brain emorragy can makes things be irreversible. It will be the lo gest night for schumi. I pray for him and he ll get well. Go schumi
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I can't add much more to this, only that the reported story has been confusing. At first he was seriously injured, then he was airlifted to hospital conscious as a precaution, now he's in a coma having arrived that way from the hospital.

If he arrived in a coma, that's very bad. If he's been put into an induced coma, as Gary Hartstein's twitter says, it's similar to being put under anaesthetic for an operation. Induced comas put the brain into Safe Mode and reduces the possibility of further injury. All of these respirators and medical equipment he's attached to are completely standard when under anaesthetic. I had the same when I had a very minor operation a few weeks ago.

The fact he's had an operation means it's either to repair a haemorrhage or to reduce the pressure from swelling. Either of those are bad.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

It's only bad if he dies. I assume they've scheduled a press briefing tomorrow morning to confirm either he's made it through the night, or not, he's not going to come strutting out for a meet and greet. I'm more perplexed at some people's reactions to it, maybe it's just the way the press are playing it up.

This sounds a lot like what happened to Natasha Richardson with the exception that someone knew exactly what to do given the circumstances.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

What are people's reactions? Not how I imagine internet trolls might react, I hope.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I doubt they would schedule a press conference if they weren't confident of him making it through the night. Otherwise they'd probably be told by Michael's family and management team to hold off.

As for the coma, yes he arrived at Grenoble in a coma but that would have been induced (either by injury or most likely medicinally) prior to being airlifted out of the original medical facility.

As for reactions, other than a couple of standard DailyMail readers, the reactions I've seen have been of shock and hope for Michael.