Michael Schumacher - 10 years on

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Antonov wrote: 5 years agoAnthrax?
Using Google
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Michael Schumacher health latest: F1 legend 'still cries' - major health update reported

More on: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/10 ... ormula-one
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Michael Schumacher's family release a statement to mark his 50th Birthday today.

Michael Schumacher’s family has issued a statement to mark the Formula 1 legend’s 50th birthday, stating that they are doing “everything humanly possible to help Michael.”

The statement was issued on Schumacher’s official Facebook page ahead of his birthday which takes place today (January 3)
Minimal mention of his actual condition and prognosis, as we have come to expect, but Schumacher’s family thanked fans for their continued support of the German since his skiing accident just over five years ago.
“You can be sure that he is in the very best of hands and that we are doing everything humanly possible to help him,” reads the statement.

“Please understand if we are following Michael’s wishes and keeping such a sensitive subject as health, as it has always been, in privacy.

“At the same time we say thank you very much for your friendship and wish you a healthy and happy year 2019.”

The family also publicised the Official Michael Schumacher App which the Keep Fighting Foundation is releasing on his birthday.

“As a gift to him, you and us, Keep Fighting Foundation has created a virtual museum,” explains the statement.

“The Official Michael Schumacher App will be released tomorrow, so that we can review all together Michael’s successes.

“The app is another milestone in our effort to do justice to him and you, his fans, by celebrating his accomplishments. We wish you a lot of fun with it.”

The Ferrari Museum will likewise open its own exhibition in Maranello to mark Schumacher’s birthday.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/01/03/sc ... -birthday/

Re the 'Michael 50' Ferrari Museum Exhibition.
The exhibition will showcase not only the seven-time world champion’s Formula 1 contribution but also his work developing GT cars as both a driver and consultant.

Schumacher continues to recover from a skiing accident in December 2013 with few official updates of his condition released.

Set to coincide with his 50th birthday, the ‘Michael 50’ exhibit opens on January 3.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/12/18/fe ... r-exhibit/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The family have said enough for us to realise the situation is still grave. I wondered whether we would receive some kind of informational statement for his 50th birthday and this is it. Thanks for posting @Everso Biggyballies.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Whereas in the early days after his accident I might have been critical of the family total privacy policy, but now given we know the gravity of the situation, I do respect and understand their position, and more to the point agree with it..

Other friends who have remained close to the Schumacher family have all reinforced that point, and even if they know more and have seen Michael recently they are upholding the family policy. Some recent comments from the web .....
Those closest to Schumacher, including his friend and former Ferrari boss Jean Todt, backed that stance.

When asked by La Gazzetta dello Sport to reveal whether Schumacher is cognitively able to follow a formula one race, the Frenchman replied: "Here I stop."

In Welt newspaper, Todt admitted that despite remaining close friends with Schumacher and his family including monthly visits, "we no longer have the same communication as before".

But on the specifics of Schumacher's condition, Todt told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "I don't think there's a reason to revisit this point.

"You know that he had this terrible accident five years ago, he's fighting and will continue to do so, he has a team close to him, his family, which is extraordinary," Todt added.

"The rest is private, and it is right that it remains that way."

Another close former Schumacher colleague, F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn, agrees.

"I am constantly in touch with Corinna, and I totally agree with their decision," the former Ferrari technical boss said.

"It's completely understandable that Corinna has wanted to maintain the same approach to Michael's privacy, which was a guiding principle in his career.

"Even after the tragic event, it's a decision we must all respect," Brawn added.

And Luca di Montezemolo, the former Ferrari president, said he too is "in contact with Corinna, but I share the family's decision to keep Michael's life private.

"We all have to respect his privacy," he told Il Fatto Quotidiano.

As for Schumacher's health condition, di Montezemolo told Rai radio: "I hope something (positive) can happen, but I do not want to say anything else except that Michael is fighting with so much determination and with a magnificent family around him."
#keepfightingMichael.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Of course they're going to back it, they're not going to disagree because they know next time they rock up to visit, they'll be told where to go if they publicly disagree or criticise the decision.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ian-S wrote: 5 years ago Of course they're going to back it, they're not going to disagree because they know next time they rock up to visit, they'll be told where to go if they publicly disagree or criticise the decision.
Of course, the family policy gives the likes of Brawn Todt etc the easy out to the difficult and probing questions they still clearly get asked gy media hungry for a snippet of gossip. As we read from Todt with his 'Here we stop /we dont go there' reply.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Very unusual sight from the Michael Schumacher 50th birthday celebration at Goodwood today:

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago Very unusual sight from the Michael Schumacher 50th birthday celebration at Goodwood today:

Can he now confirm if it has traction control or not?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago Very unusual sight from the Michael Schumacher 50th birthday celebration at Goodwood today:

Can he now confirm if it has traction control or not?
Option-13 wasn’t enabled for the run :whistling:
Oliver Dale
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One + BTCC
Favourite Racing Car: FW14B
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Oliver Dale »

Multiple news agencies are reporting he is having stem cell treatment in Paris. A source at the hospital where he is being treated-apparently a nurse says he is 'concious' whatever that means-I thought he was already awake but could speak.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Just a small snippet, with the smallest glimmer of hope from Jean Todt this weekend:
Speaking in Budapest, where Lewis Hamilton took pole position — the 90th of his career — for the Hungarian Grand Prix, the Frenchman chose his words carefully, loyally, and only when pressed. 'I saw Michael last week,' he said. 'He is fighting. I hope the world will be able to see him again. That is what he and his family are working towards.'
Summary - His family are working towards getting him healthy enough for a public appearance.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

For me, I think that's a little bit of a reach. For sure that's the aim, and that's always going to be the families aim. It does lead to a further question as to whether we want to see him again - I don't know if I want to see him in public if he's only at say 70% cognitive functions.

A wheelchair bound Schumacher who can converse, but has a really poor memory, long or short term, fine. If the family believe he's capable of it then I trust their judgement.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I dunno, sometimes seeing someone who was once so strong, now so frail, can actually show the strength of their spirit. Think Christopher Reeve, Muhammed Ali, etc. If he can, I think it would be a testament to his character
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Eddie Kid spring to mind, a shadow of his former self now.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just a couple of weeks off 10 years since Michael suffered the ski-ing accident that changed his life.

We have all got used to the family driven privacy that surrounds his current condition, which is as always often speculative but rarely factual.

However I just found a video update of Michael and his apparent current status..... it still obviously does not show any current footage of him and his current level of ability / disability but it does contain comment from Todt, who watched a race with Michael on TV at Michaels home. Bernie speaks of him not being Michael but that he believes Michael will be able to answer questions. Son Mick talks of the sadness of not being able to talk to Michael conversationally about his own racing. Other in the inner circle all contribute their bit.

There are lows in it.... Willi Webber, Michaels one time manager and mentor, is bitter and resentful and makes some unfavourable allegations.... he is, and has never been, allowed access, and seeing his input I understand why not. Plus others, and including a medical (neurology) professional's point of view. That is I guess where reality comes into it more.

Anyway FWIW, it is respectful and as informative as anything I have ever seen regarding Michael. The small inner circle that have visited Michael give their opinions and the message I see is that he is not able to communicate verbally but exists in his own way. Sad, but he is still being well looked after, loved by a dutiful family and those close, and I guess is in as good a place as he can be. Thats my take.

Watch it and take from it what you wish. Make your own mind up.

The title of the video talks of it being heartbreaking. Of course it is to an extent, but I guess I see it as realistic. I was not, and I and am sure others would not be expecting to hear Michael was on the cusp of any sort of recovery beyond being able to breathe normally and may have very limited movement, whilst still being to all intents and purposes unresponsive.