2010 Belgian Grand Prix from Spa Francorchamps

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

2010 Belgian Grand Prix from Spa Francorchamps

Post by kals »

Only a week to go until the enforced holiday ends and we see F1 back at Spa.

Some news ahead of the race
Autosport.com wrote:Renault confirms F-duct for Spa

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, August 19th 2010, 11:00 GMT

Renault has given the official green light for its F-duct to be introduced at next week's Belgian Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT has learned, with the team having hit its development targets with the concept.

The Enstone-based outfit has been working on the blown-wing design for several months, and in July said it hoped to have it ready for the high-speed events at Spa and Monza - where it should provide a good advantage on the long straights.

Although the team's efforts are currently being interrupted by its mandatory two-week summer factory shutdown, which ends next Monday, the outfit has already seen enough positive feedback from the F-duct in the wind-tunnel to decide to press it into action for Belgium.

It is understood that Renault will head to Spa with the intention of racing the F-duct at its first event, rather than simply introducing it as a toe-in-the-water exercise for Friday practice. However, those plans could change if the early data from Friday running shows that the F-duct has not produced the step forward the team hopes.

McLaren was the first team to introduce the F-duct this season, and a number of its rivals – including Ferrari, Red Bull Racing, Williams, Force India and Mercedes GP, have introduced their own versions over the course of the campaign.

Renault's Robert Kubica said at the Hungarian Grand Prix that he had no doubts about the importance of the F-duct.

When asked which of technical innovations seens in 2010 was the most important, he said: "If it is working properly, it's the F-duct. The longer straights you have, the more of an advantage you have."

As well as using the F-duct for a pure top speed advantage, teams can also utilise the concept to help them run with more downforce for the corners – because the knock-on increase in drag is eradicated on the straights by the stalling of the rear wing.
Autosport.com wrote:Yamamoto keeps HRT seat for Belgium

By Jonathan Noble Friday, August 20th 2010, 12:34 GMT

Sakon Yamamoto will continue racing for HRT alongside Bruno Senna at the Belgian Grand Prix, the team confirmed on Friday.

The Japanese driver had his first race for the outfit at Silverstone, as temporary replacement for Senna, and has since then switched cars to stand-in for Karun Chandhok.

Although Chandhok had been expected to return to the HRT cockpit after the summer break, the team said on Friday that Yamamoto would be continuing for now.

Speaking about his continued spell in the car, Yamamoto said: "I am looking forward to be back in action after the break. In 2007, I was already running in Spa-Francorchamps with Spyker F1."

Senna said he hoped that the low-downforce nature of Spa-Francorchamps would be better suited to the HRT car.

"Spa is a medium downforce circuit and it demands a lot of high speed stability of the car, as the average speed of the corners is quite high," said the Brazilian. "It will be very important to find a confidence-inspiring car balance to extract the best lap time possible.

"The downforce levels of the track are in line with what we have in our car and I have a good relationship with the circuit as well, so I am really looking forward to driving the car for the time."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Should run a book on which lap Senna will bin it.

Feel sorry for Chandhok.

Yamamoto has money, Chandhok is a nice bloke and shows signs of talent.

Senna has none of the above qualities and is only a bloody surname.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Does it matter who drives it? The car is pants.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:Should run a book on which lap Senna will bin it.

Senna has none of the above qualities and is only a bloody surname.
A little harsh aren't you? Senna is a good driver and has put in some good performances in an underdeveloped car this year. There are some edges that need polishing but he has acquitted himself very well so far. He has made that car look a lot quicker than it is on a good number of occasions. He's even challenged the Virgin and Lotus pairs.
Everso Biggyballies wrote:Feel sorry for Chandhok.

Yamamoto has money, Chandhok is a nice bloke and shows signs of talent.
Completely agree although I know for fact he isn't as talented as Senna given I've been watching Karun since he was in British F3 in the early 2000's.

Karun has been a welcome addition to the paddock in 2011, he has been completely the opposite of what I expected. He has done well within HRT but to be fair I don't think he'll do amazingly well should he get a better drive. I know he is being pushed towards Force India and should he be Sutil's team mate in 2011 I doubt he'll be challenging his colleague that hard.

However. If Karun cannot get a 2011 F1 drive then I beg the BBC to employ him as part of their F1 commentary staff. He would be a great replacement for Legard.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Yep, the BBC are always being told to have more diverse nationalities in their programming and other than doubling showings of Crimewatch, getting Karun most be the next best thing :haha:

Senna and Chandhok have been very even this year last time I saw comparison stats. I would love to see Karun get a FI drive next year.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I will be there.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

dirty b......
and u wonder i thought it was THIS week!!!
can't wait for it
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

@ Kals, yes maybe a bit harsh on Senna, and he has done an ok job in a dog of a car this year...... but maybe my mind is thinking more about how he drove like a plonker in the Sportscar race there last year and let the Oreca team down pretty badly.

However, I also followed him (albeit not visually) in his first year of F3 and felt then he was pretty well more surname than talent back then. He did not impress me one iota. But hey, we all have opinions that work for ourselves.

On to something more exciting. One of the better laps of qualifying from Raikkonen in 2002, wher he managed a front row spot despite having to go blind through a cloud of Honda engine smoke from the BAR just after Eau Rouge. Pretty well on the limit, using every available inch and sometimes more.... very very quick looking in parts.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:@ Kals, yes maybe a bit harsh on Senna, and he has done an ok job in a dog of a car this year...... but maybe my mind is thinking more about how he drove like a plonker in the Sportscar race there last year and let the Oreca team down pretty badly.

However, I also followed him (albeit not visually) in his first year of F3 and felt then he was pretty well more surname than talent back then. He did not impress me one iota. But hey, we all have opinions that work for ourselves.
What you have to remember though is that the 2005 British Formula 3 Championhip was Bruno's first season of car racing. F3 in his first year and he did an entirely respectable job, he made it look like he had been racing for many years. From 1994 up until 2004 you may remember that Vivian his mother had banned Bruno from motorsport, so come towards the of the 2004 whn Bruno did a handful of FBMW races (and an Asian FRenault race) he hadn't done anything. To be honest I thought he was a joke at the start and much like you said, I thought he was just a name. During that 2005 season I came around to appreciate and admire him. In 2006 he should have won the F3 championship and was a dominant force until a horrendous accident at Snetterton, that handed he initiative to Mike Conway who went on to win. He handled GP2 in much the same fashion and arguably should have won in 2008 had it not been for a stray dog and realibility that was more familiar to drivers of the inaugural GP2 season in 2005. That year Senna's team-mate was one Karun Chandock. Bruno simply blew him away.

I don't know much about Bruno's exploits in LMS as I don't really follow that. But to be honest for a guy that started very late, a mere 6 years ago nearly, is competing in only his 5 (6th including LMS) season of car racing, he is looking very good.
Speedworx
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Tony Stewart
Favourite Circuit: Talladega Superspeedway
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by Speedworx »

Senna is doing an ok job for a guy in a team with zero testing and no F1 experience. Sakon atleast had raced in F1, but is still pants. Its a shame Karun doesn't bring more money to the team.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

just a shame we can't bring Kimi in for one race, this one.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Kimi's gone, he's forgotten, no-on cares about him anymore. Time to move on. :whistling:
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

+1 :agreepost:
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

OT

No one really cares about WRC anymore, so therefore a lot of people wish him back for F1.
People care about NASCAR, so there aren't many wishes for bringing JPM back.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

i would have to agree with that actually